General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

well it was bound to happened

Search this Thread

Old 6/5/05, 03:36 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by chevy_slayer@June 3, 2005, 11:39 PM
well started out as any other day and parked my car in the street in front of my house. left it there and in my lunch breack i came back only to find out i got a parking ticket. not worried about paying the fine but just mad because i would have to drill holes now, which i dont wanna. im thinking of just mounting it with double sided tape and get it as a fix it ticket. also i've heard that those wannabe cops(parking patrols) can't give you a missing plates ticket if you aint in the car at the time. i know, i know, i know what u guys are thinking. not another front plates topic but oh well.

I don't understand how someone can be PO'ed if they got a ticket for intentionally breaking the law. What difference does it make if you have a front plate on there or not? I've never heard anyone say "man, that would've been a pretty cool car. But it has a front plate on it." :scratch:
Old 6/5/05, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by Fordracing200@June 4, 2005, 9:02 PM
Conneticut doesnt make u have a front plate

Yeah, but CONNECTICUT does! I don't have mine on the front... it's in the trunk!
Old 6/5/05, 04:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Its quite simple actually. This is how I see all traffic tickets:

A fine is the price you pay for the privilege of doing what ever you want.

The is esp true in a plate ticket, since most of the time, it is a non points violation, meaning you pay the fine, and it doesn't affect your insurance. Check you insurance company to be sure.

Saskatchewan did a study last year about front plates, and to the governments surprise, and police forces oposition due to, it was discovered there is no benefit to having front plates. The police were mainly opposed due to the fact that they had 1 less spot to aim a traffic laser gun at.

In the end, they removed the requirement for 2 plates.
Old 6/5/05, 04:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

I really don't mind the front license plate. Since everybody (in VA) has one, you don't really notice it.

What I DO mind is Ford not taking the time to engineer a plate bracket that doesn't require drilling through the bumper!

I've read the threads discussing a special bracket, but I have yet to see one in production. I sure hope I do before my '06 gets here.
Old 6/5/05, 06:19 PM

A bit off topic, but how many of you were given an option?
When I picked my car up, the dealer said they could not let me off the lot without mounting the plate. They said the state (CA) could come back on them (if I was cited) and they did not mount it. I DON'T KNOW if this is true, but that was the story they gave me. Anybody else get that story?
Old 6/5/05, 06:37 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a nice one. Some people don't appreciate the advise we try to give.
Old 6/5/05, 06:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Rampant@June 4, 2005, 6:51 AM
What I never understood is why are front plates important? When would anyone ever need to see it?

Friggin' law makers......
In my town, they make you have them on so the friendly cameras at the major intersections can identify you and mail you a nice ticket if you drove through on a red light. :notnice:
Old 6/6/05, 05:08 AM

FRONT PLATES ARE STUPID AND UGLY.

Incidentally, the new Corvette has no place to put one other than glue it to the front of the car. I'm sure one or two purchasers will glue one on after paying $50,000.

California should get with it and join Michigan and other states with only one plate.
Old 6/6/05, 07:18 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't purposely drive through red lights and you won't get a ticket.
Old 6/6/05, 07:21 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
no an 05 I know, but both my plates are stuck on using 3M adhesive tape, when you remove them, a little petrol gets rid of all the residue...
Old 6/7/05, 11:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Turbojet@June 5, 2005, 5:22 PM
A bit off topic, but how many of you were given an option?
When I picked my car up, the dealer said they could not let me off the lot without mounting the plate. They said the state (CA) could come back on them (if I was cited) and they did not mount it. I DON'T KNOW if this is true, but that was the story they gave me. Anybody else get that story?
I insisted that they not drill the bumper , they made me sign a waiver releasing them from liability.
Old 6/7/05, 11:28 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Ladder15@June 5, 2005, 3:53 PM

Yeah, but CONNECTICUT does! I don't have mine on the front... it's in the trunk!

Correct...CONNECTICUT DOES REQUIRE a front plate!
Old 6/7/05, 12:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by fleasome@June 5, 2005, 8:34 AM
No! Admit it! You all hate us! And I'm not paranoid, wait, who said that.....
Shut up! No you shut up! No you shut up! No you shut up! Look everybody just shut up!.......Shhhhh!.............. What was that?........The wind.

Sorry I just thought this was the perfect time to use my sig.
Old 6/7/05, 12:18 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by OBleedingMe@June 4, 2005, 10:24 AM
1. Just another infraction to generate revenue for the State.

2. Another reason for a cop to stop you if he thinks your acting "suspicious."

3. It makes clocking you with a laser easier, as they have to hit a highly reflective surface like your headlights or license plate.
1. But it also costs the state more to produce twice as many plates.

2. A cop doesn't need another reason, acting "suspicious" should be reason enough to stop someone.

3. Some states have required front plates before the use of laser speed detection. The windshiled is pretty reflective anyways, I think that would be easier to hit.
Old 6/7/05, 12:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Adrenal@June 5, 2005, 6:54 PM
In my town, they make you have them on so the friendly cameras at the major intersections can identify you and mail you a nice ticket if you drove through on a red light. :notnice:
Huh...My mom's Toyota RAV4 hasn't had a front plate in the last 4 years ever since I crashed it and had to get a new bumper. We have also been driving it around throughout SoCal and have never been ticketed for the front plates either. :scratch:
Old 6/7/05, 12:41 PM
Bullitt Member

After reading two pages of commens, I finally have to give you folks my take:

The primary purposes for the front plate is for Toll Roads (to catch those that do not pay) and for the cameras at traffic lights - (for those who prefer not to wait for the red light).

Secondary purposes, which is a convenience for the police, is for radar guns etc. For those states without a law requiring both plates, I am sure it will end in the next several years because our population is growing and the utilization of toll roads will increase.

As for cost - from what I gather, most plates are produced by those who are incarcerated at about 20 cents an hour (our local prisons).

It would be nice if one of our fellow members who is with the police, troopers, sheriffs etc. would verify this - but I'm pretty sure I'm right on target.

Just my .019876543210987654321 cents.
Old 6/7/05, 12:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by gashaus34@June 5, 2005, 3:39 PM
I've never heard anyone say "man, that would've been a pretty cool car. But it has a front plate on it." :scratch:
Well, personally, I have thought that before. However, I live in a state which does not require front plates, so I'm not used to seeing them, and when I do, especially on a car like the Mustang, I think it really makes the car look ugly.
Old 6/7/05, 01:06 PM
GT Member

Try my custom bracket solution. No holes will show, once it's removed.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=23692

Dave...
Old 6/7/05, 01:21 PM
Retired Tms Staff

I'm confused. Did you get a parking ticket or a ticket for not having a front plate? Glad I don't live where you do because if the car is parked they can't give you a ticket for not having a front plate.
Old 6/7/05, 01:52 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally posted by 05stangster@June 7, 2005, 12:44 PM
After reading two pages of commens, I finally have to give you folks my take:

The primary purposes for the front plate is for Toll Roads (to catch those that do not pay) and for the cameras at traffic lights - (for those who prefer not to wait for the red light).

Secondary purposes, which is a convenience for the police, is for radar guns etc. For those states without a law requiring both plates, I am sure it will end in the next several years because our population is growing and the utilization of toll roads will increase.

As for cost - from what I gather, most plates are produced by those who are incarcerated at about 20 cents an hour (our local prisons).

It would be nice if one of our fellow members who is with the police, troopers, sheriffs etc. would verify this - but I'm pretty sure I'm right on target.

Just my .019876543210987654321 cents.
I have lived in two states in my life, both only require a rear plate and both have toll roads. Don't cameras at traffic lights take pictures of the rear of the car, I would think the camera would photograph them as they left the intersection after going through a red light. Although, states have required two plates prior to cameras at intersections. And this is pretty easy to get away with as well, there are sprays that you can put on your plate that are undetectable by looking at but when a camera takes a picture of it, it doesn't show up.

Here is a little tidbit on cost of license plates for Washington state:
A set of Washington state vehicle plates costs the state $2.13, or just over $1 per individual plate, so Benfield said eliminating the two-plate requirement would save about $1.4 million a year because the state issues about 1.4 million sets of general-issue plates annually.

Quick Reply: well it was bound to happened