General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Washing your mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 9/2/13 | 12:52 PM
Cobra Member

I always wondered about the waterless wash like Croftgate and Optimum but my thing is I've always been taught that anything you spray on and wipe off is gonna scratch your paint.
Old 9/3/13 | 06:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by toxxxic13
Yes Croftgate is AMAZING. I use it myself and it makes cleaning soooo much easier!
http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-water...ncentrate.html
That stuff is more economical and does the job just as well as croftgate. In fact that is the only complaint I have about croftgate is the cost.
Old 9/3/13 | 06:26 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Ajcruz1
I always wondered about the waterless wash like Croftgate and Optimum but my thing is I've always been taught that anything you spray on and wipe off is gonna scratch your paint.
Croftgate is awesome and it wont scratch your car. Promise. But they also offer a concentrate that you mix with some water and wipe on wipe off. You dont need to get ur stang wet with the water hose either :-)
Old 9/3/13 | 06:27 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-water...ncentrate.html
That stuff is more economical and does the job just as well as croftgate. In fact that is the only complaint I have about croftgate is the cost.
Ive never heard of it. But I'll stick to Croftgate. It is expensive..yes but completely worth it! IMHO. :-) but maybe in between orders I might check this stuff out! Thanks for the info

Last edited by toxxxic13; 9/3/13 at 06:28 PM.
Old 9/4/13 | 06:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I hear you I was an avid croftgate user before I ran across this other stuff.
Old 9/21/13 | 01:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

For using croftgate, which products do you guys use? I was thinking the aquanil x and the tire shine, but then saw the wash and wax and it says it can also be used on wheels. So im not sure which to pick

Also, how often can it be used? Is once a week alright? Or once a month?
Old 9/21/13 | 02:19 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by roadrunner
For using croftgate, which products do you guys use? I was thinking the aquanil x and the tire shine, but then saw the wash and wax and it says it can also be used on wheels. So im not sure which to pick Also, how often can it be used? Is once a week alright? Or once a month?
I really liked using the tire cleaner too, in fact i still have a bottle layin around somewhere. Really helped the tires look nice and clean while givin em a lil shine too.

I was /still am a big croftgate fan but ive been using Ultima and Griots waterless washes lately with great results. I used the croftgate line (multi clean, aquanil-x, tire shine, quick n slick) every week on my 02 mustang and even with black paint and direct sun i never had any issues with smearing or streaking. And heres the kicker.... Barely a swirl mark! After a good polish that paint looks so nice and clean.
Old 9/21/13 | 08:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

that multi clean is the shiz nit. Very happy with that stuff.

If my car is really dirty I usually do to the touchless wash and then back home to follow up with the waterless wash stuff

Last edited by Glenn; 9/21/13 at 08:07 PM.
Old 9/21/13 | 08:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

aquanil x waterless wash 32 oz for 22 bucks or go with the stuff I posted a link to above for a lot less. I have tried both and I will stick with the http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-water...m_campaign=CSE
less expensive 1/2oz makes 22oz of wash which costs 21bucks for a 16oz bottle.
you can pay a lot or a little for the same results puts on firesuit to protect myself from the croftgate guys
Old 9/24/13 | 12:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

well ive never tried either, so first I just want to experience it for myself. I just got the sample package they offer. Next I'll probably try the one you guys say costs less. After that I'll decide which to stick with. Very excited to try them out though, finally no more hose!
Old 9/25/13 | 08:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by CarBrah
Hi guys, I was wondering how you go about washing your cars?

I'd just rinse, dry, then wax.

do you guys use car soap, or anything? brands?

First, never in direct mid day sun, either do it very early morning while all is cool or late in evening in shaded area or by setting sun.

I hook up my small yellow Kerchner (spl) electric pressure washer (it has only about 1300-1500 psi max, not near as high as a gas one) and I put a wash/wax mix in it's little tank, it's not a heavy wax either ..... mostly as a lube to have on hand. I usually also have a clean bucket of water with a bit of Ice or Meguires Car Wash soap in it and a clean terry cloth wash cloth and maybe a sponge.

I have hard water here at the house and I have found that where the water spots fast and hard with regular wash methods using just a hose, the pressure washer somehow drastically cut water spotting tendencies. I get no water spotting this way unless I just do a rinse and leave it wet, (so I don't do that unless I'm washing it in a rainstorm in late evening maybe.) When I put the PW up, I empty the remains of the little tank back into the jar where I keep said mix.

I start by a light misting of the wax/wash mix followed by a rinse, but never close, but from a foot or so, and keep the wand moving and avoid edges of stripes.

Then I start at top and use cloth to wash down, rinsing between .... and when done, I may again turn on the wax/wash and soak, then rinse again.

I clean the car top down and wheels and tires last as needed.

Then I hook up my leaf blower and blow all the big water drops around to sides and down and blow out all the crevices and hiding spots and mirrors and wheels good.

Then I touch up / finish drying with a fiber drying towel or very light fluffy terry drying towel.

I did the Mustang and the FX4 F-side Scab last night in 45 minutes just before dark .... they look great!

Last edited by tbear853; 9/25/13 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10/7/13 | 10:15 AM

My car is black and she shines even when dirty Never used clay on her and I drive her every day

I use SSG wash on her then SSG spray wax

I used turtle wax black a few times but like SSG better
Old 11/1/13 | 07:32 AM

Wash normally and chamois dry....spray wax. Clay bar if u have a lot of time. Here's a pic of my old Mach 1 after clay....looks brand new after 5 years.
Attached Thumbnails Washing your mustang?-image-235062947.jpg