General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Value of my '66 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 4/10/13, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Value of my '66 coupe

Hey everyone i need yals help... Im about to purchase a 1966 coupe. It is running and driving, am told all it needs is a tune up. It is an automatic with 55k documented miles. It is a GT without having a GT title. Factory A/C, front disc brakes. The car has zero rust on it and no dents, all it needs is a paint job.im getting a really good deal on it, from a friend(2nd owner) and the car is from cali and has been there almost its whole life. I guess what im asking is if i were to buy this car and then turn around and sell it again what kind of resale value is there? And also is there a decent market for these types of cars? Sry pic is not good, only one the guy sent me. And interior is brand new leather(no pic).
Attached Thumbnails Value of my '66 coupe-image-3939041842.jpg  
Old 4/11/13, 03:59 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
What do you mean by "it's a GT without having a GT title"?

Assuming the floor pans, trunk and torque boxes are in reasonable shape, and it's drivable, it looks like it might be worth $4-5k. It looks like all of the body panels have been replaced.

Get more pictures of the car *and* the VIN on the drivers side fender, and *verify what you're buying*.

If this is the car you had another thread about, it's definitely not a golden anniversary car.

Finally, if you want to buy a 1st-generation Mustang, research the cars so you know what you're getting into (google reveals all). Learn what to look for, and where to look for it. So far, the only thing that can reasonably be assumed is that is indeed a 1966 Mustang.

Last edited by jsimmons; 4/11/13 at 04:06 AM.
Old 4/11/13, 05:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsimmons
What do you mean by "it's a GT without having a GT title"?

Assuming the floor pans, trunk and torque boxes are in reasonable shape, and it's drivable, it looks like it might be worth $4-5k. It looks like all of the body panels have been replaced.

Get more pictures of the car *and* the VIN on the drivers side fender, and *verify what you're buying*.

If this is the car you had another thread about, it's definitely not a golden anniversary car.

Finally, if you want to buy a 1st-generation Mustang, research the cars so you know what you're getting into (google reveals all). Learn what to look for, and where to look for it. So far, the only thing that can reasonably be assumed is that is indeed a 1966 Mustang.
I think he means it's a v6 body with a v8 in it. Not really sure though.
Old 4/11/13, 07:38 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 947 Likes on 575 Posts
Documentation is the key here. If you don't have it, don't even think of 'flipping it' with a buy me now paint job. You'll end up eating it or losing money. Zero rust??? C'mon....

Last edited by NC14GT; 4/11/13 at 07:39 AM.
Old 4/11/13, 09:02 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 05GTJOSH
I think he means it's a v6 body with a v8 in it. Not really sure though.
The 65/66 mustangs had certain codes as part of their VIN, and GT's can will have either an "A" or a "K" in that position. The "A" cars were 4barrel 289 and could be auto or manual. The "K" cars are the more desireable of the two because that indicate the 289 Hi-Po motor, and most/all of them were delivered with 4-speeds.

ALL of the GTs were delivered with a better steering box, and the tag on the steering box will indicate whether or not it's a GT (most people don't bother - or don't know to - swapping these out if they're building a fake GT).

Of course, the VIN is the ultimate test, because everything else on the car can potentially be swapped out.