General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Transmission built in China-Problems....!

Search this Thread

Old 3/15/15, 11:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Transmission built in China-Problems....!

I was just sitting at my desk here at work and a guy comes up and shows me a sticker that shows the engine coming from Spain and the Transmission coming from China. I found that hard to believe and I haven't been in the news much lately but I did do a search here and I really didn't see much about it. Then I did some more internet searching and found that a lot of people are having transmission (manual) problems and that the tranny's are coming from China and then Ford fixes or replaces with the same junk and people end up with the same problems. I can't believe that this is the first mention of this on the site but as I said, I did a search on transmission and China and got no obvious hits. Anybody have any news on this stuff. Here is a link to one of the stories on it. Just curios since this seems to be a growing concern from outside. Anything somebody has heard like doing away with China crap? I have a snow blower that I just bought and the biggest complaint was that the carb was made in China and people were starting to have problems with them not starting. Guess the new "china syndrome" is here. What is your take on this?

http://jalopnik.com/5792482/faulty-c...w-ford-mustang
Old 3/15/15, 11:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
let the fail be with you is the only thing I have coming to mind.....China....
Old 3/16/15, 02:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Hi there.

Do a search for "MT82" on this or any Mustang site, and you'll find more than you could possibly ask for about this. Here's my quick summary, of the top of my head:

Around 2012 or so, there was a problem with weld splatter causing problems with clutch disengagement. This appears to have been remedied, but not before justifiably upsetting a lot of Boss 302 owners who bought a car that was 99% pure performance and 1% something stupid that made the car untrackable.

Lots of people are still a little disenchanted with the MT82 as it feels pretty notchy and/or sloppy, but in practice it seems to come down to a remote mounted shifter attached to a transmission under a lot of torque and the cheesiest shifter bracket ever made.

The two most popular "fixes" (in quotes because it's not broken but it's also not the quality one would expect of a car like this) is the Blowfish Racing bracket and the MGW Race Spec shifter. The reviews on these two different solutions have been overly positive. There are other ways to solve the problem by combining products from several manufacturers, with various degrees of cost and effort.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by berzerk_1980; 3/16/15 at 02:29 AM.
Old 3/16/15, 02:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
most of the S197 mustang is done in China , take a close look , door speakers China except passenger d 6x8 with grill from Mexico rotors like Brazil it's a freaking Heinz57 😨
Old 3/16/15, 06:16 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 949 Likes on 577 Posts
harleybill, there has been a lot of talk on this site about the Chinese transmissions. It's not a good thing. I haven't seen many posts applauding Ford for going w/ Chinese trannys. Perhaps some Ford stock holders who have Ford in their portfolios and Mercedes in their driveways. It's always the bottom dollar and such a shame that Ford couldn't be different and remain American. Yeah, the cost of the car would be higher but personally if I'm going to lay out $30k+ plus for a new car, I'd go $35k for one with parts made in the US.
Old 3/16/15, 06:19 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
When the 2011 Mustang came out with the MT82 .. there was plenty of talk about the problematic Chinese Transmission ... chatter has died down over the years .. through multiple TSB's and design changes I think most of the initial bugs have been worked out.
Old 3/16/15, 06:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Personally, I am going to stick with the older card and trucks built by ford, granted my truck is still more or less a Heinz57 in its own respect but I know with out question it works and has not let me down at all, same goes for the Mustang I have sitting in the garage right now...I will do what I can to avoid buying Chinese made junk...sorry but the Chinese arn't well known for there quality...I have had many products "made in China" that have suffered failures in short times compared to things made in America...
Old 3/16/15, 05:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
harleybill, there has been a lot of talk on this site about the Chinese transmissions. It's not a good thing. I haven't seen many posts applauding Ford for going w/ Chinese trannys. Perhaps some Ford stock holders who have Ford in their portfolios and Mercedes in their driveways. It's always the bottom dollar and such a shame that Ford couldn't be different and remain American. Yeah, the cost of the car would be higher but personally if I'm going to lay out $30k+ plus for a new car, I'd go $35k for one with parts made in the US.
I appreciate the sentiment about buying an American made car, but because of economic pressures from competitors I'm afraid those days are over. I'd rather have the Mustang exist with a Chinese made manual transmission than not exist at all or exist solely as an automatic.

I do not think that the general public would pay an extra 16% for something 100% made in USA, all other things being equal.

By the way, if it's your thing, you can probably swap out all or most of the Chinese sourced parts for $5k. The Coyote is made in Canada though, so if you want 100% US content (vs. "American") it would cost a little more.
Old 3/16/15, 09:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

I know we can't expect to get "ALL AMERICAN" anything anymore with so little being produced in this country and all of these other places producing products at dirt rate costs. I think China is what we old timers used to call "Japanese tin can junk" and maybe China will pick it up like the Japanese did but until then I would prefer to just make sure that whomever makes the products makes them with quality in mind and specs that don't just meet but exceed standards. After all, if they are cheap at least make them in quality. Thanks for the catch-up here.
Old 3/18/15, 05:55 PM

I have a 2013 automatic that shifts horribly, wonder if its american or foreign made?
Old 3/18/15, 08:27 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Auto is American made.
Old 3/28/15, 08:09 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange, the 6R80 is one of the best automatics out there
Old 3/30/15, 02:59 PM

Can feel every downshift and the final one into first is the worst. Its a very common problem.
Old 4/5/15, 05:09 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Just to clarify...the transmission is not Chinese. It is German designed and engineered (Getrag), made in a German plant, built new, in China.

And, not everyone had problems with the MT-82. I never had a problem, with the exception of cold shifting (way below zero) in winter. Ford replaced the tranny fluid with a full synthetic, at no cost, and that "problem" disappeared.

The only reason my '15 has an auto is a medical issue with my left knee, otherwise I would still be driving the manual.
Old 9/10/19, 07:36 AM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MT 82 junk transmission

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
Hi there.

Do a search for "MT82" on this or any Mustang site, and you'll find more than you could possibly ask for about this. Here's my quick summary, of the top of my head:

Around 2012 or so, there was a problem with weld splatter causing problems with clutch disengagement. This appears to have been remedied, but not before justifiably upsetting a lot of Boss 302 owners who bought a car that was 99% pure performance and 1% something stupid that made the car untrackable.

Lots of people are still a little disenchanted with the MT82 as it feels pretty notchy and/or sloppy, but in practice it seems to come down to a remote mounted shifter attached to a transmission under a lot of torque and the cheesiest shifter bracket ever made.

The two most popular "fixes" (in quotes because it's not broken but it's also not the quality one would expect of a car like this) is the Blowfish Racing bracket and the MGW Race Spec shifter. The reviews on these two different solutions have been overly positive. There are other ways to solve the problem by combining products from several manufacturers, with various degrees of cost and effort.

Hope this helps!
Ford was trying to cut manufacturing cost ....Tremec was a better choice......
Old 9/10/19, 07:40 AM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 Automatic

Originally Posted by SpectreH
Auto is American made.
Made in Michigan......these cars & transmissions are not designed to be raced & abused....regardless of the TV commercials.....GT stands for Grand Touring.....if you want a race care you will have to buy a shelby