Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Stock shifter Boss 302

Search this Thread

Old 12/9/13, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock shifter Boss 302

Im hearing the stock shifters on the Boss 302's are not very good. On two occasions I had trouble getting it into reverse and even the forward gears. Is the upgraded shifter Ford racing offers the best option? I only have 200 miles on the car but that shifter is not smooth at all.
Old 12/10/13, 06:27 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Chop
Im hearing the stock shifters on the Boss 302's are not very good. On two occasions I had trouble getting it into reverse and even the forward gears. Is the upgraded shifter Ford racing offers the best option? I only have 200 miles on the car but that shifter is not smooth at all.
If your interested in the Ford racing shifter, it's big bucks. Check out the Barton shifter. Its the same shifter except Ford one is Blue. I do believe barton makes Fords shifter.

$369.99
$469.99
Both can be found at american muscel.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/2010-m...-shifters.html
Old 12/10/13, 08:32 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Don't forget MGW which replaces the box the shifter connects into instead of just the stick.
Old 12/10/13, 11:13 AM
Team Mustang Source

I think you'll find mixed feelings on the stock shifter...a few think it works fine...several think not so much. I think a lot of us find the remote shifter to be a bit vague and causing wrong gears to be selected. There are more and more options, thankfully, that help improve shift quality. Barton was mentioned as well as MGW. I went with MGW and have been more than satisfied. It has not eliminated all the "Unique" issues found with the MT-82......such as being locked out of a gear at high rpm's....but it is a very nice unit. I also appreciate the tranny bushing from Whiteline. I think this helps stabilize the tranny during a high load situation.

There are aftermarket parts that help with the shifting of our vehicles. You'll need to research the products and decide which is right for you. It will boil down to how much you want to spend and how much you want out of the shifter/tranny. If I had unlimited funds....it would be a Magnum XL tranny with a better clutch. So for now, I'm making the best of the MT-82.

Wayne

Last edited by Senderofan; 12/10/13 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12/10/13, 12:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Senderofan
I think you'll find mixed feelings on the stock shifter...a few think it works fine...several think not so much. I think a lot of us find the remote shifter to be a bit vague and causing wrong gears to be selected. There are more and more options, thankfully, that help improve shift quality. Barton was mentioned as well as MGW. I went with MGW and have been more than satisfied. It has not eliminated all the "Unique" issues found with the MT-82......such as being locked out of a gear at high rpm's....but it is a very nice unit. I also appreciate the tranny bushing from Whiteline. I think this helps stabilize the tranny during a high load situation.

There are aftermarket parts that help with the shifting of our vehicles. You'll need to research the products and decide which is right for you. It will boil down to how much you want to spend and how much you want out of the shifter/tranny. If I had unlimited funds....it would be a Magnum XL tranny with a better clutch. So for now, I'm making the best of the MT-82.

Wayne
You could ask Steve from Blowfishracing about a clutch. I think he has a pretty good price on a SPEC clutch that he said allowed him to do 8k shifts with ease.
Old 12/10/13, 04:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Bunch of guys run the MGW with good success. I drove a Boss with the MGW installed and it was nice and crisp shifts. Very short throws, but that's not a bad thing - just have to get used to it.

I've had minimal issues with my MT82, but my engine redlines under 7000 RPM, so the 'locking in gear' issues don't really apply to me. I have missed a couple shifts going from 5-4 and 4-3 when shifting at high RPM's under heavy braking, but it's only happened a couple times. And I've done MANY of those downshifts. Maybe the 2014's are a bit better or maybe mine just happens to be a "good one" for now.

Check out bossmustangsonline.com for a lot more info on this subject.
Old 12/10/13, 04:49 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The main issue with the stock shifter is its sloppy mounting design. There are products out there that deal with that but the aftermarket shifters like mgw and barton make the throw shorter. Another thing you will notice is that the transmission is notchy and sticky until it warms up. Cold it is the worst manual trans I have ever driven but when up to temp it works well. There are many discussions on this forum and others on the subject. Just remember if you change anything from stock you will have trouble getting the dealers to help you with warrantee issues that relate to the same problem.
Old 12/11/13, 05:15 AM
Cobra Member

Do a google search on 'mustang mgw' and see what you get. There are other good shifters out there, and some owners have decided to upgrade only the bracket. I followed the pack and installed my own MGW, which isn't that hard to do, and am VERY happy with it.

And yes, this 6spd is very notchy when cold, not matter what shifter is attached.

While you are thinking of mods for your Boss, consider a set of hood struts, and a Cooltech sound tube delete kit. Also removing the side exhaust restrictor plates completely, or installing some larger diameter plates to fine tune the exhaust note really makes the Boss sound pronounced.
Old 12/12/13, 06:05 PM
APW

I have the MGW and have been really happy with it so far.
Old 12/12/13, 06:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Being locked out of gear is problem more related to the clutch not releasing fully than flaws in the transmission.
Old 12/15/13, 09:42 AM
Bullitt Member

I wouldn't jump to too many conclusions based on 200 miles of driving, especially in your neck of the woods, ie. cold. Give the parts a chance to break in.
Old 12/15/13, 10:25 AM
V6 Member

I've come across old posts on American Muscle's SR Performance shifter. Any new input/experience?

Thanks,
JJ
Old 12/15/13, 02:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I would also suggest learning the stock shifter a little, took me a bit to get the shifting pattern down. Surprisingly if let the springs center the shifter you should never miss a gear.
Old 12/16/13, 02:52 AM
Cobra Member

Even after learning the proper technique and shift gate pattern, you still don't get that super satisfying rifle bolt action when rowing through the gears with the stock shifter. Even if high rpm lock outs/missed shifts are a byproduct of a sucky clutch, upgrading the flaccid OEM shifter was the most satisfying upgrade I installed.

Every single person that I've had compare OEM (in wife's GT) to my MGW side by side prefer the stiffer and more precise, MGW. You can get just a bracket, or other shifters like Steeda, Barton, etc, but I followed the recommendation of a few hardcore Mustang guys who have owned them all, and said the MGW was the better unit. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Absolutely.
Old 12/16/13, 07:59 PM
V6 Member

Another vote for MGW after wasting money on Steeda with replacement bushing.
Old 12/17/13, 07:44 AM

On the cheaper side, you can add a Whiteline gearbox mount insert KDT928 it's cheap and super easy to install. It takes the slop out of the transmission mount. At high rpm shifts the transmission mount is too soft and tends to twist a bit from the torque and with the stock shifter it won't line up proper for shifts at 7k+ shifts resulting in lockout or missed shifts. The insert will stiffen the mount rubber just enough to fix that for you. I think I got mine at CJ's pony. If that doesn't fix you up, add the MGW shifter and it will feel perfect. Good luck.

Chris
Old 12/20/13, 10:50 PM
GT Member

MGW without a doubt. The stock shifter was very smooth and enjoyable with around the town easy load shifting. Aggressive or high load? A Crap Shoot.

Even after replacing with the MGW, because of the remote shift design of the MT-82, you can experience 1-2 lockout for drag racing or 3-4 road racing.

If you participate in "high revving" events; then you should also look at a CHE K member brace. http://www.cheperformance.com/prod-208.htm
Old 12/21/13, 01:06 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Boss949
MGW without a doubt. The stock shifter was very smooth and enjoyable with around the town easy load shifting. Aggressive or high load? A Crap Shoot.

Even after replacing with the MGW, because of the remote shift design of the MT-82, you can experience 1-2 lockout for drag racing or 3-4 road racing.

If you participate in "high revving" events; then you should also look at a CHE K member brace. http://www.cheperformance.com/prod-208.htm
How are those braces working for you?
Old 12/21/13, 02:06 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

In the words of Naughty By Nature.... There are 3 little letter that are missing here M.G.W. made all the difference in the transmission for me. Still have the clutch pedal sticking to the floor issue if engine is run at high RPM for extended periods of time
Old 12/21/13, 05:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have yet to do this, I haven't track tested my car since MGW install, but it is my next step. Removing the clutch assist spring should help the pedal stuck on the floor issue, if anyone else is experiencing this.

http://bossmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=5594

Quick Reply: Stock shifter Boss 302