General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Top Gear Magazine photo shoot

Search this Thread

Old 11/7/07, 10:02 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Top Gear Magazine photo shoot

A few members of the Mustang Club of Las Vegas met with a couple people from Top Gear Magazine (in Europe) Monday night for a photo spread they want to do in the December (comes out in January) issue.

They were looking for Americans with Muscle cars, and came to meet us after spending the afternoon with a few Corvette owners.

There were 7 cars there for the shoot (one had to leave early for work) all together, three pre-'70 cars, 2 SN95's and 2 S197's. They wanted some shots of just the cars, and some action shots of us mingling around open hoods, polishing the cars, etc.

The only name I can remember is Tom Ford, the journalist for the article, they also had their lead photographer, and another photog (who's mother lived not too far from where we met them) who now lives in England.

They're going to send us copies of the magazine when it comes out, but I'm not sure how many photos they'll use from our shoot, and how many from the Corvettes, and who knows what else they might have to choose from. Sounded like they were only in the states for a couple of days though, so hopefully one or two at least from our group will get in.

I'll try to scan in pics (or hopefully they'll send us digital copies too) once I get the magazine. It was fun, and Tom is great, talked to him for a bit when he wasn't hobbling around on his broken foot.
Old 11/7/07, 02:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SWEET!! Did you ask what kind of person Clarkson, May and Hammond are? I'd be curious to know what the magazine employees think of JC.
Old 11/7/07, 03:09 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
No, didn't talk about the guys from the show. Mostly we were just talking about different philosophies regarding mods to cars. He made fun of a civic hatchback that drove by lowered with a fart can, not because it was "ricey", actually more because there was no thought into the exhaust, the guy had just bolted the muffler on instead of trying to get an exhaust on that improved performance and sound. Tom is very much a car guy, about doing things to cars that make sense, not just doing them because.

He apparently currently owns a low-rider, and was talking about another car he had owned previuosly that was a great track performer, but not so great at daily driving, so he sold it, then the guy that bought it from him turned around and sold it 3 months later for the same reason.

He did like some of the things I had done to my car, more for drivability than top-end, since I don't drag race the car every day, and he liked how my changes were all fairly subtle, but definitely not stock.