General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Tips for a 10 hour road trip?

Search this Thread

Old 8/6/13, 06:48 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tips for a 10 hour road trip?

So I won a contest and will be driving 10 hours from where I live to Michigan for the event in my Mustang and was just wondering if anyone has any tips or things I should know or bring. I've never driven this long in my car before. I mean I think every tip should be obvious but I feel like I'm missing something.

Thanks!
Old 8/6/13, 07:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Take a bottle of water so you won't get dehydrated.
Choose some music that will keep you entertained as you go.
Plan probably three stops - two pit stops at rest areas and a stop for lunch. Stretch.
I have sciatic nerve problems on my right side from time to time so I drive in slip on shoes (loafers) and slip the right shoe off and pull my foot up onto the seat and raise my knee to stretch the muscle that causes that problem.
Enjoy the trip and don't forget you have to do it in reverse to get back home.
Old 8/6/13, 07:20 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,194 Likes on 1,635 Posts
Yep, definitely plan some stretch stops!
Old 8/6/13, 09:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take snicky snacks and drinks along so you don't have to stop every few hours. Plus, it's cost effective!
Take your MP3 player, Ipod, favorite CD's or what not along. I recently went on a road trip this past weekend and found a old burnt CD and It had some awesome songs on it! It was a "fun" surprise!
If you get tired by all means PULL OFF THE ROAD! Rest up and go on about your journey.
Take your cell phone charger! Don't want to be caught with a dead battery! Dress comfortably. Nothing worse than wearing something uncomfortable and traveling! I wear my lounge pants when on long travels.
Take a GPS and even maps for a backup if you GPS decides not to work.
Good luck with your travels and most important, BE SAFE!!
Old 8/6/13, 09:39 PM
Cobra Member

Some parts of your body may be exposed to the sun for extended periods, even in a coupe. If you wear shorts, put sun screen on the tops of your thighs, and don't forget that your shorts legs will ride up. Your arms may also be exposed, so do them too.
Old 8/6/13, 10:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

My tip is to take whatever toll roads are available during your trip...I take them every trip I go on and I never see any roadside debt collectors. Helps when you want to get somewheres fast....like flying at 1xx fast.

Besides that, always fill up when you have the opportunity....you never know when the next station is going to come up. Especially if you are a brand name fuel type of person, such as myself. (Shell stations are rare heading Northward in Texas.)

Last edited by theACE; 8/6/13 at 10:41 PM.
Old 8/6/13, 10:11 PM
Bullitt Member

10 hours isn't too bad make stops every 2-3 hours... which is about half a tank or so depending on if your driving a GT and keep your foot out of it :P As my father always said if you feel tired pull over only takes a split second to change everything pushing through when exhausted isn't worth it when could pull over and take 15mins and get a drink and throw some water on your face and be good to go again... if makes you feel any better though in about 2 weeks I'll be driving 31 hours from Ohio to Arizona :P
Old 8/6/13, 10:26 PM
Cobra Member

Pick a place that is about half way there (BTW, you haven't told us how many miles you will be covering) and use gasbuddy.com to find the best price on fuel.
Old 8/7/13, 06:36 AM
GT Member

If this is your first long haul trip there is no shame in planning on taking a 2 hour nap at a safe/secure rest stop, gas station (stations that also have truck rest areas are good).

A co-driver would also be very beneficial for a long haul as you can take turns napping/driving.
Old 8/7/13, 07:22 AM
V6 Member

Thank you all so much, very great tips and will help out a bunch!
Old 8/7/13, 07:23 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by punishermustang
10 hours isn't too bad make stops every 2-3 hours... which is about half a tank or so depending on if your driving a GT and keep your foot out of it :P As my father always said if you feel tired pull over only takes a split second to change everything pushing through when exhausted isn't worth it when could pull over and take 15mins and get a drink and throw some water on your face and be good to go again... if makes you feel any better though in about 2 weeks I'll be driving 31 hours from Ohio to Arizona :P
I have a V6 so hopefully the mpgs won't be too bad considering I'll be driving at a pretty steady pace. And it definitely makes me feel better that you will be driving 31 hours lol!
Old 8/7/13, 07:25 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by tukatz
Pick a place that is about half way there (BTW, you haven't told us how many miles you will be covering) and use gasbuddy.com to find the best price on fuel.
Good idea, I'm going to download an app on my phone for gas prices. I'll be driving 615 miles one way.
Old 8/7/13, 07:45 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 959 Likes on 586 Posts
Originally Posted by cleverfool
Good idea, I'm going to download an app on my phone for gas prices. I'll be driving 615 miles one way.
That mileage is nothing in a fun car. We did that distance and more on some days during our recent Mustang trip to the southwest in April.
Music, snacks, and stretching during your gas stops and you'll have a blast!
Just steer clear of the big rigs for stones being kicked up.
Old 8/7/13, 08:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 779 Likes on 568 Posts
will you be driving alone? 61mph average you can do better than that
Old 8/7/13, 08:59 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by cleverfool
I have a V6 so hopefully the mpgs won't be too bad considering I'll be driving at a pretty steady pace. And it definitely makes me feel better that you will be driving 31 hours lol!
As long as you don't go too wild, expect great mileage. I got 30.75 on a recent 770 mile one-day trip, and I was running upper 70s for part of it and got into two stop and crawl freeway backups totaling about 9 miles.
Old 8/7/13, 06:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Set the GPS simply for ETA! Know your route and do not rely on the GPS. that being said beat the GPS ETA by as much as you can as safe as you can. Trip from RI ot NC I beat the original GPS ETA by a full hour. Drive until <50 mile on a tank or as far as you feel comfortable. Stop, gas up get food and get back on the road. Treat it like a race within reason.... It makes for an interesting trip...

All the rest Music drinks heck could even pack a lunch....

Hammer down, safe travels
Old 8/7/13, 06:38 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Some of the suggestions are great, load up on drinks (take a cooler) and snacks, because they cost much more on the road. Also, remember, that stuff does happen, so take some simple tools and a gallon of water and a flashlight. Even in a new car, you can have problems.
Old 8/7/13, 08:18 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
An eight ball of coke should do the trick
Old 8/8/13, 05:46 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 959 Likes on 586 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
An eight ball of coke should do the trick
Someone has been watching Vanishing Point (1971 flick).
Old 8/8/13, 10:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
And, remember add approx. 1 1/2 hours to the trip time if you have a certain time to be there. That will give you a cushion to help make up for stops along the way. Enjoy the ride.

Quick Reply: Tips for a 10 hour road trip?