General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Timing chain disaster

Search this Thread

Old 7/11/21, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing chain disaster

Any else have a blown engine on their Shelby due to the timing chain tensioners?
Old 7/11/21, 04:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Yes. Well, not specifically a Shelby, but yes, there's an issue that a lot of Ford Modular motors are all susceptible to, depending on the circumstances, regarding the tensioners.

Let me guess: Right side tensioner gave up, causing starting chain floppage/rattle, everyone said don't worry about it, but eventually the rattle turned worse and longer and then kablooie. Or something like that.

How'd I do? If not that, then what happened to yours?

Lookin' forward to hear more, honest! And welcome to the forums!

/Here's a video regarding that guess. I made it because mine got angry, and circumstances led to me attempting to fix it. And I managed to save it! :yay:

//I find it interesting that I'm signed in to my own account, on my computer, and watching *my* video... and Youtube says "here's an ad!" Like, there'd be no revenue for me for watching my own video, right?
///Of course, I don't have enough subscribers and views to make money on it... yet...
Old 7/11/21, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by houtex
Yes. Well, not specifically a Shelby, but yes, there's an issue that a lot of Ford Modular motors are all susceptible to, depending on the circumstances, regarding the tensioners.

Let me guess: Right side tensioner gave up, causing starting chain floppage/rattle, everyone said don't worry about it, but eventually the rattle turned worse and longer and then kablooie. Or something like that.

How'd I do? If not that, then what happened to yours?

Lookin' forward to hear more, honest! And welcome to the forums!

/Here's a video regarding that guess. I made it because mine got angry, and circumstances led to me attempting to fix it. And I managed to save it! :yay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6R9ZJ-iE-w

//I find it interesting that I'm signed in to my own account, on my computer, and watching *my* video... and Youtube says "here's an ad!" Like, there'd be no revenue for me for watching my own video, right?
///Of course, I don't have enough subscribers and views to make money on it... yet...

Well, mine is a little different, the timing chain jumped causing catastrophic engine failure. This was all due to the timing tabs not being adjusted at factory. I've been reading on the internet about the problem and how Ford is repoaring quickly. NOT TRUE my car has 520 miles on it and has been at the Ford dealer now for over to months. Ridiculous

All due from a Ford problem, two months is not good. Worst service ever.

I was just wondering how many other people had their engines damaged from this recall
Old 7/11/21, 10:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I'm... confused now. I'm sorry, I truly am.

I've done some research and there's these v8s used in 2008 for Mustangs:

Standard GT, 4.6L 3v
Shelby GT, 4.6L 3v with mods for a little more HP (but the same motor as standard GT)
Shelby GT500, supercharged 5.4L 3v (Taller deck height as 4.6L, but otherwise same motor.)

In all cases there's not any timing tabs. They are all timed based on the crank being affixed to the motor with a tool that has to go on a particular pin before you do any chains, tensioners, guides or cam spins to align. There is also no adjustments to be made, you almost literally 'plug and play' the timing together. Having done it recently, I'm quite familiar with the process. It's well designed, almost... *almost*... fool proof, as long as you do it by the manual and use Ford parts.

Also, there's no recall nor TSB regarding this issue you describe, unless LMR doesn't have the info you're speaking of.
https://lmr.com/products/2008-Mustang-TSB-Recall
I further tried 2007 and 2009 (just replace that year in the link) and nothing is indicated there's any recall related in those years either.

I can't say I've heard of this jumping of timing issue being a large problem for the fleet. Sure it happens, but not... recallable-like. I've heard of the guides exploding, the tensioners deflating and causing startup rattle (and that's why I recently did the timing, because I saved my engine after my right side guide exploded, yay), but not jumping timing being a semi-rampant thing. And even then, the bad tensioners were never recallable either. They're just sort of a thing. And even still, mine never jumped time when the tensioner was deflated... Maybe it's a 4.6L vs 5.4L chain length thing? Chains don't stretch that much anyway after 186K on my setup. Maybe overall length got pulled out by 1/16th or so inch. Nothin'. I still put on the new ones, but I'd probably have been just dandy with the old ones.

So... in all this wordy thinkin' out loud post... I'm... going to guess that... MAYBE?... somehow... the timing chain tensioners didn't have the pins pulled so they never were tensioning the chains? They do have springs in them, but they depend on the oil pressure to keep them working. And that'd maybe make sense, given 540 miles. Not sure how that'd be a thing though... I mean, someone must have *really* been asleep at the wheel while assembling the motor...

Also 520 miles? Thing needs to be driven more! Seems a shame to keep it hidden... But that's me. You do you, and that'll do!

I dunno if I helped. I'm just real confused now about what's happened on your end. Sorry to hear it. I don't suppose they told you why two months? That seems a supply issue of the engine that they can use for the recall/warranty/? they're doin'. If that's the case, they can't go buy a reman from just anywhere, sounds like...

Old 7/12/21, 07:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,556 Likes on 1,065 Posts
is this a brand new Shelby GT500 we are talking about here? or something different?
Old 7/12/21, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Bert
is this a brand new Shelby GT500 we are talking about here? or something different?

Yes this is a brand new GT500 2020 w/track pack
Old 7/12/21, 08:39 AM

The car is an amazing car, don't get me wrong but Ford has been way lack-luster in the response to repair
The car sat at the dealership for 1 1/2 months before they even tore down the engine to see what was wrong....... My main questioning is if anyone else has encountered this. I spoke with Shelby USA and the guy I talked to had told me He has heard about 3 other cars that had the same issue. The Factory recalled these (GT500 and GT350 Shelby's) on 4/30/2021 they obviously knew there was a problem. My car imploded on 5/17/2021, they never notified me. I went to dealer and told them about the recall, they did not even know until they looked while I stood there and watched. That was on 5/18/2021. To top off the anguish, I received a recall in the mail in June telling me off the recall and on my Ford pass about it in June as well A Little Late
Old 7/12/21, 08:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,556 Likes on 1,065 Posts
Wow, isn't that about the most expensive car that Ford has ever sold? (except maybe a Ford GT)

You'd think that would at least get you some common courtesy from the service department, but apparently not.
Old 7/12/21, 05:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Ah. I somehow had gotten 2008 in there... and I'm not sure how. I probably should have lead with that question. My complete and utter bad, sorry, OP.

Here's the article from the IB people...
https://themustangsource.com/2020-gt...-recall-37802/

And there it is. They actually didn't pull the grenade pins on the tensioners of the secondary timing. What the entire heck.

You should escalate that to Ford Corporate if the dealership has been dragging their feet for no good reason. And/or insist that they (Ford) pay to have the car towed to a properly functioning dealership closest to you, perhaps. Although there's a possibility that parts are a problem these days with that kind of special car, and that's part of the delay...?

Again, I apologize profusely for gettin' confuzzled.
Old 7/20/21, 09:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
The pin puller must be like TFNG in the assembly shop.
Old 7/20/21, 10:50 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,139 Likes on 818 Posts
WOW, that really sucks! Ford will usually make something like this right when they are able. Guess with all the stuff going on that is causing all the manufacturing shortages there probably is not a small item they need to get your situation fixed. Hope they get you something soon... That is a lot of dollars to pay for something and have come unglued and now it is sitting at the dealer. Hope they get you taken care of soon. Wish you the best of luck and keep us posted!

Might reach out to the FordGT500 forum and see if any of those guys have the input you are looking for. Lots of their members have purchased the new GT500.

Last edited by shaneyusa; 7/20/21 at 10:51 PM.