General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Is it time for me to cue up the old sad bastard music?

Search this Thread

Old 12/17/14, 05:50 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, I might be looking for insight, I'm not sure. Let me start this off by saying, I am very, very VERY happy with my 2014 Mustang GT.

I have wanted a "premium GT" for at least 15 years. Definition being, Mustang GT, leather interior, nice factory stereo.

Now I have one. Finally. I am 32 years old, and now, I finally have my nice, fun, fast, stylish dream car.

Over the years, I have owned three separate 4.6 powered Thunderbirds, Two 96 birds, and one 95 bird. I loved those cars, and had various stages of modding done to all three over the years, from nearly stock, all the way up to WAY wild and over done.

This is my third Mustang. Ten years ago, I bought my first Mustang, it was a Competition Orange 2004 V6 with a manual transmission, and every option with the exception of leather.

My second Mustang was a 2013 V6 with a manual transmission and ZERO options.

I threw some mods at both of those Mustangs, none of which was never satisfying. Trying to go fast. Ultimately money and time wasted.

I had a 2013 F150 5.0 - I really liked that one, did some things to that one as well, but it wasn't satisfying, because I wanted a Mustang. Again though, all mods on this one = money wasted.

And Now, like I said earlier, I finally have one. A legitimate fast sports car.

But here's the thing...did I get old? I completely enjoy the car. I am grateful to have it, after all these years, and such a long journey to get to this point in life (and that statement reflects far more than anything related to cars)

I have no desire to drive really fast or crazy. I have a slight itch to change things, modifications, all that, but I am really basically fine with it stock, and that's a first for me. This is also a first where I got the car as close to how I wanted as possible.

So, I don't know...is this just a normal part of coming back to this world a bit older? Can anyone relate to what I am saying here? I'm not even entirely sure what the point is that I am trying to make, if any at all.

Anyway...any insight? Like I said, really happy with every aspect of the car.

Last edited by Earlsays; 12/17/14 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12/17/14, 06:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Earlsays
Alright, I might be looking for insight, I'm not sure. Let me start this off by saying, I am very, very VERY happy with my 2014 Mustang GT.

I have wanted a "premium GT" for at least 15 years. Definition being, Mustang GT, leather interior, nice factory stereo.

Now I have one. Finally. I am 32 years old, and now, I finally have my nice, fun, fast, stylish dream car.

Over the years, I have owned three separate 4.6 powered Thunderbirds, Two 96 birds, and one 95 bird. I loved those cars, and had various stages of modding done to all three over the years, from nearly stock, all the way up to WAY wild and over done.

This is my third Mustang. Ten years ago, I bought my first Mustang, it was a Competition Orange 2004 V6 with a manual transmission, and every option with the exception of leather.

My second Mustang was a 2013 V6 with a manual transmission and ZERO options.

I threw some mods at both of those Mustangs, none of which was never satisfying. Trying to go fast. Ultimately money and time wasted.

I had a 2013 F150 5.0 - I really liked that one, did some things to that one as well, but it wasn't satisfying, because I wanted a Mustang. Again though, all mods on this one = money wasted.

And Now, like I said earlier, I finally have one. A legitimate fast sports car.

But here's the thing...did I get old? I completely enjoy the car. I am grateful to have it, after all these years, and such a long journey to get to this point in life (and that statement reflects far more than anything related to cars)

I have no desire to drive really fast or crazy. I have a slight itch to change things, modifications, all that, but I am really basically fine with it stock, and that's a first for me. This is also a first where I got the car as close to how I wanted as possible.

So, I don't know...is this just a normal part of coming back to this world a bit older? Can anyone relate to what I am saying here? I'm not even entirely sure what the point is that I am trying to make, if any at all.

Anyway...any insight? Like I said, really happy with every aspect of the car.
I completely understand your situation Earl. I'm on my 4th Mustang. I had a 65 coupe, restored with a 302 4 barrel. Then I had an 06 GT that I really enjoyed. My last two Mustangs, however, have both been V6 models and frankly I'm perfectly okay with that. Yes you do reach a point in life where you don't feel the need to drive mach 3 with your hair on fire all of the time. Over time it is likely that you will even find those kind of drivers to be seriously annoying if not downright dangerously annoying.

When I bought my 2014 V6 I was also looking at a 2012 GT and just decided that I didn't want the GT. For me, 305 hp in a daily driver that averages 22 mpg is ideal. I have no desire to be the fastest guy on the road everywhere I go and given my profession it would be very foolish for me to be "that guy". I have had the unfortunate task of seeing the end result of young men and women who use public roads as their personal race tracks. It's not good.

My advice is, enjoy your GT. It's a fantastic car and now you are really old enough and wise enough to just appreciate the car for what it is and what it does instead of constantly trying to make it better and faster. I find that I get just as much enjoyment out of just taking meticulous care of my car as I did out of trying to make them faster. My goal is to have a six year old V6 Mustang that looks and runs essentially brand new. Along the way I may do some minor mods such as a strut brace and stiffer shocks and probably a brake rotor upgrade when the brakes wear out. But other than that I have no real interest in making the car faster even though the 3.7 is fully capable of well over 400 hp on a long block.

Hope that helps you out. I can totally relate to how you feel. Congratulations on your car and I hope you enjoy it for years to come.
Old 12/17/14, 07:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
I think I have been where you are now. I still have it still love driving it. I have been driving a CTS the past month and a half and I really miss driving my car. There's always that mod I want to do down the road. I've been thinking about cams for the past 2 years now.
Old 12/17/14, 07:22 PM
GT Member

I went out and drove it a bit after I posted this...just putting it around, it was really nice. Tried the select shift manual mode a little, traction control off, sport mode, etc. Nothing crazy, and it was really nice...

Another part of it, is, I have a job that is somewhat dependant upon keeping my driving record clean...so that's been in the back of my head for the past few years, driving for work really slowed me down, and made me a far more cautious driver.

Plus, between cops (tickets, above mentioned driving record issues that would arise) deer in the road, HOGS in the road, and the fact that it's winter, it's cold, it's dark, and tonight in particular, it's raining outside...that plays a part as well.

Aside from that, possible injuries, to myself or others if out doing stupid stuff...that's on my mind as well.

Driving an F150 SuperCrew for the past year (which was obnoxiously loud) slowed me down a bit...

I don't know, we will see...with all of the above in mind, I am still extremely excited to take this car to the drag strip and see what kind of quarter mile numbers I can get out of it. That will probably be the point in which the bug will bite again.

But still, just observations...
Old 12/17/14, 09:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 3point7
I completely understand your situation Earl. I'm on my 4th Mustang. I had a 65 coupe, restored with a 302 4 barrel. Then I had an 06 GT that I really enjoyed. My last two Mustangs, however, have both been V6 models and frankly I'm perfectly okay with that. Yes you do reach a point in life where you don't feel the need to drive mach 3 with your hair on fire all of the time. Over time it is likely that you will even find those kind of drivers to be seriously annoying if not downright dangerously annoying.

When I bought my 2014 V6 I was also looking at a 2012 GT and just decided that I didn't want the GT. For me, 305 hp in a daily driver that averages 22 mpg is ideal. I have no desire to be the fastest guy on the road everywhere I go and given my profession it would be very foolish for me to be "that guy". I have had the unfortunate task of seeing the end result of young men and women who use public roads as their personal race tracks. It's not good.

My advice is, enjoy your GT. It's a fantastic car and now you are really old enough and wise enough to just appreciate the car for what it is and what it does instead of constantly trying to make it better and faster. I find that I get just as much enjoyment out of just taking meticulous care of my car as I did out of trying to make them faster. My goal is to have a six year old V6 Mustang that looks and runs essentially brand new. Along the way I may do some minor mods such as a strut brace and stiffer shocks and probably a brake rotor upgrade when the brakes wear out. But other than that I have no real interest in making the car faster even though the 3.7 is fully capable of well over 400 hp on a long block.

Hope that helps you out. I can totally relate to how you feel. Congratulations on your car and I hope you enjoy it for years to come.
Now here is a guy who gets it. Kudos to you, 3point7. OP, you are overthinking this whole bowl of grits. You've got a nice car-- go out and drive it, enjoy it; if you think a mod here and there would make it more enjoyable for you, go for it. You're basically traveling the same path you chose years ago, only you've slowed down a bit and are starting to enjoy the scenery. You know that life's about the journey, not the destination. Jeez, we're doing all we can to prolong the journey, aren't we? Quit trying to be a philosopher, just be a proud Mustang owner.
Old 12/17/14, 11:02 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If that means crankin the blues, with some greasy slide, while pushing #901 on my favorite two lane twisties up the side of the Cascade mountains... count me in!!

http://www.charliehorse.com/Bullitt-Crater%20Lake.htm
Attached Thumbnails Is it time for me to cue up the old sad bastard music?-hwy-242.6.jpg   Is it time for me to cue up the old sad bastard music?-hwy-242.9.jpg   Is it time for me to cue up the old sad bastard music?-hwy-242-ssister.11.jpg  

Last edited by cdynaco; 12/17/14 at 11:20 PM.
Old 12/18/14, 02:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Mickstang
Now here is a guy who gets it. Kudos to you, 3point7. OP, you are overthinking this whole bowl of grits. You've got a nice car-- go out and drive it, enjoy it; if you think a mod here and there would make it more enjoyable for you, go for it. You're basically traveling the same path you chose years ago, only you've slowed down a bit and are starting to enjoy the scenery. You know that life's about the journey, not the destination. Jeez, we're doing all we can to prolong the journey, aren't we? Quit trying to be a philosopher, just be a proud Mustang owner.
Old 12/18/14, 07:47 PM
Bullitt Member

OP, it sounds like perhaps you've matured over the years, and your priorities have shifted. Thus, you're content with what you have, the way it is. I would say that what you're experiencing is typical, and to be expected. When my wife gave birth to our son, I started to feel similarly to what you're describing. It's not bad, just...much more content.

Enjoy your car man, and enjoy the ride!
Old 12/18/14, 08:16 PM
GT Member

Thanks y'all, I appreciate the relation...
Old 12/18/14, 10:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
I'm a cruiser not a racer. I just love driving in my car till my *** hurts. No where to be fast, just cruise.
Old 12/21/14, 09:22 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
OP; take it from someone who did not get to where you are carwise; till I was in my sixties. Had "muscle" cars when they were current, Chargers, GTO, Super Sports then life kicked in and it was 4 door sedans, and gasp.... mini vans. When I retired I got a pristine 01 Corvette manual shift. Drove it for while and realize like you I did not really like to drive real fast, and never pushed it to its limits. So I traded it in on a new 2013 V6 mustang coupe with premium appointments and all the electronic bells and whistles. Still standard shift though. Now I just enjoy driving it, and listening to SIRIUS.

Your young and at some point in your life you may again feel the need for speed and modifying your ride, until then relax and enjoy what sounds like a great car. Some may disagree but there is also a comfort in driving within speed limits, knowing that it is unlikely you will get stopped by the police. Of course I'm an old man so what do I know. One quick story, my daughter told me that she was driving on the highway and she and her friends saw this silver corvette cruising slowly in the right hand lane. After some comments about why would anyone own a corvette and go slow.. she had to admit that it was father in his Corvette.....
Old 12/22/14, 03:29 AM

I went out and drove it a bit after I posted this...just putting it around, it was really nice. Tried the select shift manual mode a little, traction control off, sport mode, etc. Nothing crazy, and it was really nice...

Another part of it, is, I have a job that is somewhat dependant upon keeping my driving record clean...so that's been in the back of my head for the past few years, driving for work really slowed me down, and made me a far more cautious driver.

Plus, between cops (tickets, above mentioned driving record issues that would arise) deer in the road, HOGS in the road, and the fact that it's winter, it's cold, it's dark, and tonight in particular, it's raining outside...that plays a part as well.

Aside from that, possible injuries, to myself or others if out doing stupid stuff...that's on my mind as well.

Driving an F150 SuperCrew for the past year (which was obnoxiously loud) slowed me down a bit...

I don't know, we will see...with all of the above in mind, I am still extremely excited to take this car to the drag strip and see what kind of quarter mile numbers I can get out of it. That will probably be the point in which the bug will bite again.

But still, just observations...
I hope I never get to the point where I no longer want to push my car. I'm 21 and nothing is more thrilling than rowing through the gears in my 2011 5.0 and letting each gear rev all the way out. There's nothing quite as satisfying as burying the throttle in the floor panel and feeling that V8 rear up and pull you down the street. I love being thrown back in my seat. I'm also the roll on racer type of guy. I'm always up for a challenge regardless of what car the other guy is driving.

Maybe I'm still young and stupid but I don't ever want to get to the point where I no longer enjoy the excitement of spirited driving.
Old 12/22/14, 07:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
I never have Tman. But I have gotten smarter about when I do all that stuff. Its been a long time since I've done any of that stuff on the street. usually if someone wants to race me on the street I always let them win. I need to get to that road race track more often. Its a rush that lasts as long as your on the track and not a just few seconds like on the street.
Old 12/22/14, 07:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Perfectly understandable, Earl.

I feel that way about my '06. Other cars have gotten 100K or more, and I've discarded them. Other cars I've built just exactly the way I wanted, put only a few miles on them... and they're gone.

Hell, I got rid of the best car I've ever owned, an 87 Mark VII LSC. I still regard that car very highly to this day.

None of them were as desireable to keep as this one is. I ain't never gettin' rid of her unless I pass on from this mortal coil, or she's totaled in some way that I hope I'm not even involved in.

Oh, I'd move on, as one should, if that horrid day would happen that she was destroyed... Stuff happens, after all.

But excepting those two... She's mine until then.

I'm still doing things to make her more and more unique and mine. I have a Vision(tm) of where she will wind up. Even as a daily driver. Slowly but surely, she'll get there.

I still grin when I see her sometimes, heading to her after work or after grocery shopping. I can't help it. She's just that pretty, and she's all mine.

I mean... to me, for sure... she's Awesome.

Last edited by houtex; 12/22/14 at 07:42 AM.
Old 12/23/14, 05:44 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tman5293
I hope I never get to the point where I no longer want to push my car. I'm 21 and nothing is more thrilling than rowing through the gears in my 2011 5.0 and letting each gear rev all the way out. There's nothing quite as satisfying as burying the throttle in the floor panel and feeling that V8 rear up and pull you down the street. I love being thrown back in my seat. I'm also the roll on racer type of guy. I'm always up for a challenge regardless of what car the other guy is driving.

Maybe I'm still young and stupid but I don't ever want to get to the point where I no longer enjoy the excitement of spirited driving.
Damn…. I remember when I thought and acted like that. That was 37 years ago- wow. Jr., I truly hope you get the point of slowing down a little, because that means you didn't die before you got there. By all means enjoy your life between the beginning and end, but don't hate on those that managed to avoid the reaper along the way- which is not as easy as you think it is when your 21.
Old 12/23/14, 06:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by elfiero
Damn…. I remember when I thought and acted like that. That was 37 years ago- wow. Jr., I truly hope you get the point of slowing down a little, because that means you didn't die before you got there. By all means enjoy your life between the beginning and end, but don't hate on those that managed to avoid the reaper along the way- which is not as easy as you think it is when your 21.
Amen brother! I look back now and between military service, working in a jail and some of the stuff I did just because I was young and bulletproof I'm damned thankful to be alive. I don't deserve it but God spared me so I just try not to make him angry now and live as right as I can. I hope that young man makes it here too.
Old 12/23/14, 09:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ain't it funny? I bet we all... ALL... said things like, "I'm not gonna be like my folks, staying home all weekend, just sitting around the house. I'm gonna stay tight with my buddies, hang out and party, spend my pay on all the cool stuff I'd like to have...." Words to that effect, right? And we did, to some extent. Then life sorta happened, we settled down, had families, and set new priorities-- and it was good, because we realized that home and family were the things that really mattered and were what we really wanted... and it didn't hurt a bit. As we get older, we laugh inside when we hear young guys saying the same things WE said years ago, knowing that when those hormones stop raging, they'll be able to see more clearly the things that are really worth chasing. Seems like we've had this convo before, with David (SuperSnake04); he's been kinda scarce around here lately; hope he's doing OK.
Old 12/23/14, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by elfiero
Originally Posted by 3point7
Amen brother! I look back now and between military service, working in a jail and some of the stuff I did just because I was young and bulletproof I'm damned thankful to be alive. I don't deserve it but God spared me so I just try not to make him angry now and live as right as I can. I hope that young man makes it here too.
Originally Posted by Mickstang
Ain't it funny? I bet we all... ALL... said things like, "I'm not gonna be like my folks, staying home all weekend, just sitting around the house. I'm gonna stay tight with my buddies, hang out and party, spend my pay on all the cool stuff I'd like to have...." Words to that effect, right? And we did, to some extent. Then life sorta happened, we settled down, had families, and set new priorities-- and it was good, because we realized that home and family were the things that really mattered and were what we really wanted... and it didn't hurt a bit. As we get older, we laugh inside when we hear young guys saying the same things WE said years ago, knowing that when those hormones stop raging, they'll be able to see more clearly the things that are really worth chasing. Seems like we've had this convo before, with David (SuperSnake04); he's been kinda scarce around here lately; hope he's doing OK.
I try not to be too stupid. I don't do drugs and I'm not a big drinker. I just enjoy fast cars like almost every other guy my age. Thanks for the words of wisdom guys. I'll try not to kill myself.

Mickstang hit the nail on the head. That sounds exactly like me. I like to hang out with my friends and I'll take any excuse I can get to get out of the house and do stuff. I also spend a majority of my income on toys including my 5.0 which is the first car I bought myself. Maybe I'll end up like you guys some day but I don't see it happening any time soon. I'm just trying to make the most out of the time I've got. Unlike a lot of people my age, I understand how finite life is and I want to do as much as I can while I can.
Old 12/24/14, 01:43 AM

i drive fast as **** all the time. too many nubs on the road and I respect zero of them
Old 12/24/14, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by LMS007
i drive fast as **** all the time. too many nubs on the road and I respect zero of them
Well aren't you just special? The road must belong to you then. Did you pay for its construction? I drive fast too but only when I'm not endangering others. Based on your grammar and poor sentence structure I'm going to assume that you're about 16 or 17 years old. You sound just like me when I was that age. That kind of attitude towards driving only has two outcomes; prison or death. It took me four speeding tickets and 4 years of driving to understand that. How long is it going to take you?

Quick Reply: Is it time for me to cue up the old sad bastard music?