General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Thoughts on bras

Old 6/12/14, 01:01 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 587 Likes on 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzman442
If you get the right Bra you will never have a problem. To many people buy the cheap bras and wonder why the paint looks bad.

Buy the Best Colgan Customs or CoverCraft. Colgan is tops.

Wax the car and install on a hot day. If installed correctly you will never have an issue.

I have had them on all of my cars and trucks. Lets see how good a 3M clear bra works on the interstate when a rock from a truck hits your front end.

With the Bra nothing happens. You just take if off clean it out and don't leave it on after a rain.

Never had an issue.

Plus in Love Bug season you take it off clean it up no bugs on car Just windshield.. Makes for a very fast clean up.
This ^^. I've had them on multiple Mustangs over the last 20 years and have never had a problem with the paint. Of course I never left them on all the time, I used them for bug season and road trips.

Originally Posted by wanted33
Here's the Colgan Bra I bought from Auto Anything brother. I have only used it for a cross country trip of approx. 5K miles, but was fairly pleased as it did keep bugs, rocks, etc. away from the paint. Ultimately that's all I need a bra to do, because I do not leave it one the car. It was on the front for approx. three weeks in all kinds of weather, and did not cause any problems with the paint. See below for problems.

Here is the problems with the bra. The tabs would not stay between the light covers, and the bumper no mater how many times I pushed them in. The hook that hold the bra around the wheel openings were tricky and didn't look secure, but they did hold without any problems. Colgan doesn't seem to care about the problems with the bra. I contacted them, sent them the pictures, and they said they would be in contact with me. Good thing I didn't hold my breath. Would I recommend it for everyday used, NO. But, if you need one from a long trip it's cheaper than repainting rocks chips, etc. And surprisingly the little dams that keep the hood piece from flapping also help keep bugs off the windshield.

BTW, it is a two to three beer process to put on the first time.
Same here, that's the way I use mine too since its just a fair weather toy and not a daily driver.

I haven't had any problems with my Colgan other than getting the fender tabs on the first time putting it on. But it was still cool out, should have waited later in spring. Took two people about an hour and a half of cursing and tugging that first time. Now I can put it on by myself in a few minutes since its gotten hot and stretched.

And to the OP, yes it doesn't stand out as bad on a black car. At least I don't think it does. I'm happy with the way it looks on mine, but like I said I only use it during heavy bug season or on a highway trip.

This was the first time I had it on so the fit wasn't as good as it is now. After a few cruises when it warmed up in the 80's and 90's it smoothed out and fits much better.

Name:  DSC_0961_zpsf254a783.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  111.5 KB

Name:  DSC_0956_zpsf30fe1eb.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  138.8 KB

Name:  DSC_0953_zpsc864788d.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  93.9 KB