General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Taken to jail for driving over 100mph?

Search this Thread

Old 12/13/05, 09:51 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have gotten off TWICE from the police in my car.
One night I was going 65mph in a 45 zone (at least... that's what he CLOCKED me at!) testing out my new front springs. The cop asked me why I was going so fast this late at night. I told him "umm.. testing my new springs, sir. I just put them in today."

He looked along the car, shook his head in a "right on!" kind of way, and LET ME GO. "just remember you should only be going that fast if you are going to the hospital."

Another time, an EVO and I were sparring around, not severly breaking any laws, just going through turns (SHARP turns) and straights. We were reving pretty high (both cars are loud) and right when he goes to turn, I see the lights go off. UH-OH!! Luckily he went after the import, and not the American Muscle!

YESSS!!!!
Cops here HATE imports. Ontario, California is a HUGE import street racing area, and I'm about 10 minutes away. The police are always on the look out.
Old 12/14/05, 08:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Have a friend who works for sheriffs dept. and one who works
for pd in a nearby town. Both say that at 100 or better, the car
can be considered a deadly weapon and it's up to the officer to decide jail or no jail. The real punishment for me would be to have car towed! I've been 120 several times during the day, can't imagine it at night! I seem to over drive the headlights at 75, 120 would be a disaster waiting to happen!
I don't think it deserves a trip to jail.
Old 12/20/05, 02:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

I probably hit 100 just about every time I drive to work, but there is a long sweeping section of highway where I never see any cars and that is where I nail it.

I was on my way back from pool league one night and I had a few drinks, not drunk by any means, but likely over our ridiculous .08 limit here, and I was going about 90 and saw a cop pull out. I decided to nail it as my exit was only 1/2 a mile away and hit 140 by the time I exited. This was not recently it was in my 98 GT.

I wouldn't recommend breaking the law though.
Old 12/20/05, 05:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Shea@December 20, 2005, 1:16 PM
I was on my way back from pool league one night and I had a few drinks, not drunk by any means, but likely over our ridiculous .08 limit here, and I was going about 90 and saw a cop pull out. I decided to nail it as my exit was only 1/2 a mile away and hit 140 by the time I exited. This was not recently it was in my 98 GT.
Dude :nono: - That is way risky.

I just finished sitting on a jury trial for some girl arrested for .08 BAC while doing only 10mph over the limit. They took her to the cleaners big-time...must have cost her over $10k for the attorney and fees, not to mention the hassles, embarrassment, lost wages etc..

If you're going to go fast, do it with all of your senses in perfect working order. Any amount of alcohol and driving definately don't mix!
Old 12/21/05, 09:01 AM

Almost. 100.5 in a 55 zone in my old '73 Capri 2.6. Did have to have a few words with the judge though, and no small part of my summer job money went to pay the fine.
Old 12/21/05, 01:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by John SCB@December 20, 2005, 6:14 PM
Dude :nono: - That is way risky.

If you're going to go fast, do it with all of your senses in perfect working order. Any amount of alcohol and driving definately don't mix!
I never said they do mix. I was just telling a story. Also, if you want to talk about risky, I take bigger risks every time I ride my motorcycle because of morons in cages not paying attention to me.
Old 12/24/05, 11:35 PM
V6 Member

I find it interesting that people think it's okay to drive excessively fast when taking yourself or someone else to the hospital.

Let me get this straight:
You are sick or injured. Or a friend/loved one is sick/injured/giving birth. You are excited, nervous, pumping with adrenaline, and have a million things on your mind. On top of all of this, you or your passenger is screaming, dazed, hyperventalating, passing out, hysterical, holding your guts in your hands, whatever the case may be. Oh, and most likely this situation is not taking place on a 'deserted stretch of highway', but most likely in town, with or without bad weather, and probably lots of traffic around.

In this situation, people think it's okay to do a 100mph. But lets all cruicify someone that admits to doing 100 on a 'deserted stretch of highway'.

WTF, Over?

For the record, I have not gone to jail for doing 100. I don't condone or recommend it, for it is stupid. That's what they make race tracks for. I have driven once and been a passenger twice in vehicles moving well over 100mph. All incidences were in High School. I am still amazed that anyone lives to graduate after getting their driver's licence.
Old 12/27/05, 03:27 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by TehSLeeper@November 23, 2005, 9:54 PM
Cops hiding and setting speed traps, well I honestly think that's pretty dishonest and sleazy, partly why it's illegal in CA. So how would he know that the cops there if he's hiding?
How would he know if a drunk was hid out there and suddenly decided to pull out...
Old 12/27/05, 03:31 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Nick85@November 23, 2005, 10:56 PM
People that should go to jail

Cell phone users

women drivers

drunk drivers
People that should be left alone

Responsible speeders (in fact i've AVOIDED accidents by accelerating up to high speeds and getting away from the drunk cell phone type driver.
Actually it is a noted fact the average woman is a better driver than the average man... women are better at multitasking.

Now anyone using a cell phone a driving or driving under the influence..... shoot em.
Old 12/27/05, 07:35 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Thunder Road@December 27, 2005, 5:34 AM
Actually it is a noted fact the average woman is a better driver than the average man...
Actually, it isn't. Feel free to do a little research, no need to get into it here.
Old 1/1/06, 03:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I'm really going to hate going back to the States. Like a couple of others posted here already, doing 100MPH+ here is Germany is nothing. Do it everyday just to get from one side of the city to the other. 65-75(can't remember what it is now) is going to feel like walking.
Old 1/2/06, 09:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

He needed a radar detector! Weee!

Got me out of getting a few tix...

Was racing a bit (still going under 110 though) and mine went off so I stepped on the breaks, then so did he. The guy behind us trying to keep up zoomed past and got a ticket... Irony?
Old 1/2/06, 09:10 AM
Cobra Member

10-15 over is normally the allowed max over the speed limit where I live. Exceeding the speed limit by almost double the posted speed limit is never a good thing. A licensed track is the place for speed.
Old 2/12/06, 02:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shea @ December 21, 2005, 12:14 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Also, if you want to talk about risky, I take bigger risks every time I ride my motorcycle because of morons in cages not paying attention to me.
[/b][/quote]
You sure got that right! There's nothing like riding a performance bike...i'd call it driving our GT's to the power of 10. Had to get rid of my crotch-rocket years ago but before I'd ride out, the question always went through my head: "do i feel lucky...?" Only two bike accidents in 20 years of riding; both involved female drivers (sorry ladies) making a left turn in front of me [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smilies23.gif[/img]
Old 2/12/06, 08:54 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
I have a friend who has been driving over 100MPH frequently for the past 30 years. He had an E-type Jag and then in the '80s bought a brand new Countach 500S. He took the time to figure out how much money he would have to spend for the ticket at top speed (I've been in it at 160,but he removed the governor and claims 180 is top speed). When he wants to drive really fast he takes it out early in daylight during the summer before commuter traffic starts. He has only been stopped a few times in his life. I can remember him passing me on the highway in the middle of the day in his daily driver Caddy and it was like I was standing still.
Some people have all the luck. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 2/13/06, 09:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hit 100 in a 55 today but for a good reason. Low visibility with snow and salt and everyone driving like idiots all bunched up in right lane when I saw a pick up pull out in front about 4 cars ahead of me. I raced into the outside lane and nailed it just as i was i saw a flash of brake lights car almost hit me in an attempt to avoid. If i hadn't of done this stupid dangerous driving then my car would currently be in a garage along with the 3 cars that werent so lucky.

Moral of the story.... if youre going to pull out in front of somebody its the pedal on the right.
Old 2/14/06, 02:58 PM
TDS
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

Speed limits are posted for a reason. This is the suggest top speed considering the road and any conditions it maybe in.
Alabama Law will get you a ticket for speeding up to 20 mph over the posted limits. Any higher and its speeding ticket with reckless driving tacked on to it.
Your not only going to jail but you going to court and to the ATM, Loan officer, etc. to pay the fines and court cost.
Now in an emergency situation, such as wife in labor, etc. the locals will have to use their discression about issuing a ticket.
However the local police and Emergency personnel are instructed when responding to "calls" to not exceed their level of driving skill and/or the posted limits.
The locals here in some jurisdictions have disconntinued "chases" because of ground speeds and allow the air units to pursue.
Having been a local Sherriffs Deputy, I can say that I personally never exceeded the 100 mph mark but once in 11 years. That was transporting an injured officer to the Emergency room. And then only for a brief amount of time. :

Speed belongs on the track, not the highways. And cell phones users belong on the road side.

TDS [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 2/16/06, 01:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Red Star & ScottyBoy302... I seem to have similar luck. Only getting stopped when I'm speeding 'by accident' and never when I purposly stretch her legs.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chris8519 @ December 13, 2005, 12:53 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>YESSS!!!!
Cops here HATE imports. Ontario, California is a HUGE import street racing area, and I'm about 10 minutes away. The police are always on the look out.[/b][/quote]
I don't know about imports, but I have relatives in Ontario [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 2/18/06, 11:27 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shatter @ November 23, 2005, 10:00 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Still have that Mustang but now I am a lot wiser about respecting others and not driving like an idiot on public roads.
[/b][/quote]

Yes, as I can see by your avatar [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 2/19/06, 12:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img] Maybe that's a privately owned road [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Taken to jail for driving over 100mph?