General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Stupid Question

Search this Thread

Old 2/10/13, 02:44 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid Question

Today I was cleaning my mustang and the sunlight hit the gauges just right that I could see the lights that light up when you start your car up. Like the fuel light, seatbelt etc. and I noticed there is an abs and a traction control one but they never light up when I start my car. Does that mean that I don't have abs or traction control? Because when I bought it our seller said it did so I'm confused.
Old 2/10/13, 06:15 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey first of all no question is stupid. Not asking one when you need information is stupid.

Look in your hand book. There should be a switch, or button that turns of the traction control. find it and hit it while the car is running. you should see an icon light up of tire tracks.

The lights should come on very briefly when you first start up the car. You gotta look good or you miss them.

The ABS lights up when it kicks in, you will feel it when you slam the brakes on. Same with the traction control.

If your car is fairly new, you should have both systems. ABS is brake control and "pulses" the brakes on hard braking, Traction control is another related system that is supposed to prevent loss of control of the vehicle in emergency maneuvers by controlling engine speed and auto braking wheels to keep the car going straight.

hope this helps.
Old 2/10/13, 07:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
I beg to differ on the no stupid questions Stephan! There are plenty of stupid questions in this thread https://themustangsource.com/f649/an...n-game-494197/
Old 2/10/13, 08:01 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnjguy
Hey first of all no question is stupid. Not asking one when you need information is stupid.

Look in your hand book. There should be a switch, or button that turns of the traction control. find it and hit it while the car is running. you should see an icon light up of tire tracks.

The lights should come on very briefly when you first start up the car. You gotta look good or you miss them.

The ABS lights up when it kicks in, you will feel it when you slam the brakes on. Same with the traction control.

If your car is fairly new, you should have both systems. ABS is brake control and "pulses" the brakes on hard braking, Traction control is another related system that is supposed to prevent loss of control of the vehicle in emergency maneuvers by controlling engine speed and auto braking wheels to keep the car going straight.

hope this helps.
Agreed
Old 2/10/13, 08:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by geh4
Today I was cleaning my mustang and the sunlight hit the gauges just right that I could see the lights that light up when you start your car up. Like the fuel light, seatbelt etc. and I noticed there is an abs and a traction control one but they never light up when I start my car. Does that mean that I don't have abs or traction control? Because when I bought it our seller said it did so I'm confused.
There are never any stupid question, just some that are ill advised at times. the reason for forums is to seek answers instead of going ahead blindly. Sticking your head in the sand will only get sand in your ears. My best advice is to call the dealer service department on this.