General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Storing the Mustang over winter?

Search this Thread

Old 9/18/12, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Storing the Mustang over winter?

I'm a noob to Mustang ownership-in fact this winter will be my first with my mustang. I am planning on storing the Mustang in our garage while I drive my truck over the winter months.

Idaho winters traditionally start in mid-late October and end mid April or early May. I am curious if those of you that store your Mustangs could offer any suggestions.

Thank you in advance.
Old 9/18/12, 10:18 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine will be out in the snow so i'll let better experienced ppl give storing tips..
but if you ever go out to the garage and start it during the winter, don't just let it run for a minute or 2 then shut it off. running it for a couple of minutes and shutting it off without reaching it's full operating temperature will cause more harm than letting it sit. if you do start it, what you should do is take it out on a sunny snow/salt free day and drive it for at about 15-20 minutes, or at very least don't shut it off until the temp gauge reaches the normal position so it burns out any moisture/condensation
Old 9/18/12, 10:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Most of my vehicles hibernate in winters 6 to 7 months at a time. The most important things I always do are below and I've been doing the same things for over 10 years.

1. Top off fuel tank to minimize air, thus minimizing condensation in the tank
2. Hook up a float charger to each; most batteries will survive anyway
3. Disengage parking brake and park car in gear

I don't believe they need to be started and warmed up or driven; too much complication with insurance status and moisture in the crankcase cannot be "burned off" unless the car is driven for more than 10 miles constantly at operating temperature at highway speed.

The cars are usually washed and vacuumed beforehand to make myself feel better. The washing also provide a clean surface to put a car cover on. I have only a set of tire pads, so only one parks on them. Another option is to apply a coat of wax or to detail it but it's not necessary. Some people go so far to change the oil which, I think, is a waste.

Check the operation of the float chargers from time to time (in case there is loose connection). If there is an opportunity and you have a volt meter, check voltage on the battery.

That's it.

PS: please don't kiss your car good night, that's just weird.

Last edited by POS VETT; 9/18/12 at 10:39 AM.
Old 9/18/12, 01:16 PM
Bullitt Member

The most important thing to do is park it on a plastic tarp. If you don't Moisture will radiate out of the concrete and rust the underside of your vehicle.
Old 9/18/12, 03:12 PM
V6 Member

^Wow, I've never heard that. I put extra air in my tires and park on towels to avoid dry rot.
Old 9/18/12, 03:36 PM
Bullitt Member

I've never stored a car for the winter, but I store my mower, and gas powered garden tools. I always put fuel stabilizer in equipment that I don't use for the winter. I've rusted the inside of a few gas tanks for my motorcycles that sat outside when I was younger before I started using stabilizer in the tank. I really don't know if there is an additive that is beneficial for a car, but I would think there is.
Old 9/18/12, 03:46 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I used store my older car for 7 months of the cruel Alaska winter. I just waxed, filled the tank and disconnected the battery. I did this for 4 or 5? winters before I moved. Everything was fine. I'm no longer living in Alaska but Indy still sees snow.

Now that car is lucky if it gets a tarp thrown on it outside, let alone sit in the garage. Lol

Last edited by Getportfolio; 9/18/12 at 03:48 PM.
Old 9/18/12, 05:51 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
A friend of mine swears by the marine stabilizer for the full tank of gas.
Old 9/18/12, 06:05 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
My uncle would put his stored cars on jack stands to keep the weight of the vehicle off the tires.

Don't know if there is any benifit to this. Seems that replacing tires is cheaper than straightening a frame / axles if there was too much stress from the jack stands.
Old 9/18/12, 06:23 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
A friend of mine swears by the marine stabilizer for the full tank of gas.
I swear by living somewhere that doesn't require storing.
Old 9/18/12, 06:45 PM

Storage

In the rust belt you have to worry about moisture from the cement rusting out the car from the bottom. We found that by covering the floor with visqueen(?) and the put carpeted mats on top . You should be able to buy 4x8 mats for $20 or less used. The carpeted mats also stop the tires from dry rotting.
Side dents can be stopped by using sheets of styrafoam placed along the sides of the car.
Old 9/18/12, 09:36 PM

This is all great info! Thank you guys-you're why this forum is awesome!
Old 9/19/12, 12:29 PM

The use of jack stands can be usefull. A full or tied frame will not or should not distort. Back before steel belted tires a bias ply tire (nylon, rayon)
would flat spot if it sat too long, this would happen to new cars in the 60's. Once the tires warmed up and rounded out you were ok until then it was a bumpy ride.
Old 9/26/12, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckster
In the rust belt you have to worry about moisture from the cement rusting out the car from the bottom. We found that by covering the floor with visqueen(?) and the put carpeted mats on top . You should be able to buy 4x8 mats for $20 or less used. The carpeted mats also stop the tires from dry rotting.
Side dents can be stopped by using sheets of styrafoam placed along the sides of the car.
Is visqueen just Polyethylene Sheeting? I can't seem to find that brand near me, but I found some by husky. Also you put the carpeted maps under the tires but on top of the visqueen?
Old 9/26/12, 02:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by non compos mentis
Is visqueen just Polyethylene Sheeting? I can't seem to find that brand near me, but I found some by husky. Also you put the carpeted maps under the tires but on top of the visqueen?
Visqueen, plastic tarp or any plastic or rubber sheeting will work. Your creating a vapor barrier.
Old 9/26/12, 06:23 PM

Any type of plastic sheeting will work. The bonus with the mats is that you can spread them out and not have to come in contact with the cold cement. They are easy to take care of with a vaccuum and carpet scrubber periodically.It should take 4 4x8 mats to do 1 car.

Last edited by Chuckster; 9/26/12 at 06:25 PM.
Old 9/27/12, 06:31 AM
GT Member

May want to throw some steel wool in the exhaust tips as well. Critter keep er outer
Old 10/17/12, 09:55 PM

Today i come back here and i read this topic it's really nice and informative and i would like to say that i also have a mustang car which model is 2010 and i want to say that i want to cover it by a good fabric when i take it garage anyone recommend good fabric in this purpose....?
Old 10/18/12, 10:12 AM

When storing over the winter in a garage, disconnecting the battery sounds like a great idea: however, did this with a Honda Civic and upon reconnecting the battery, had to see the dealer to reprogram the radio to make it work again. What about the Mustang? Any unexpected electrical thingies gonna happen?
Old 10/18/12, 10:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mine is stored on the side of the house for now under a CarCraft cover....when WINTER set's in and I won't take it out at all I will move it into a garage, full tank of gas, Battery tender, jack stands and leave the windows down. For now I drive it 1-2 a week since its a nice 65 sunny day but the nights are getting into the 30s.

Quick Reply: Storing the Mustang over winter?