General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Starter Does Nothing

Search this Thread

Old 6/2/23, 06:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Starter Does Nothing

I have a 2012 MCA Edition Mustang with a 6-speed manual transmission. The other day I started the car with no problems. I got to work, and it would not start. Luckily, I was on a hill and was able to bump clutch start it. I was able to drive it home without any issues. I have done some modifications to the vehicle but have not had any problems with her. The next morning, thankfully it was my weekend, I began diagnosing the problems. I went through the entire starting system from fuses, relays, continuity and resistance of the wiring, voltage checks and even reprogramming the PATS with ForScan twice. I spent 4 1/2 hour with no luck. I figured I would share this with the community because it could have been a very expensive repair to troubleshoot this issue if I were to have gone to a mechanic, let alone the Ford Stealership. After all my diagnosing of this issue, I found it to be a very simple resolution to this issue. On the clutch lever, there is a metal tab with a hole in it welded to the lever. On the tab is supposed to be a rubber grommet in the hole. It had fallen out. The additional 1/4 inch the grommet provides allow the Clutch Down Sensor to be activated. Thus, allowing the ignition system to provide power to the starter via the Smart Junction Box (SJB). In total, I spent 5 hours on a 30 second fix. Just thought you all may want to know especially since I initially could not find anything wrong. Look for the simple things first.

Last edited by 05stangkc; 6/2/23 at 07:13 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by wwwii63:
05stangkc (6/2/23), 1 COBRA (6/17/23), m05fastbackGT (6/3/23), shaneyusa (6/3/23), wanted33 (6/4/23)
Old 6/2/23, 07:11 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,915 Posts
Well Thanks!

We Are Always Getting Folks Asking For Help & Many Times Never Coming Back When a Solution is Found! You Have Shared The After! KUDO'S to You!

Funny Thing My Shelby Was Acting Up After Charging The Battery Just Yesterday and Was Dead at The Key. It Had Simply been So Long Since I Drove it And I Did Not Have the Clutch Pedal Down Far Enough. Figured it Out Quick Enough. The Interlock Switch is an Out of Site Out Of Mind!

Back in the Day the Ford Super Duty Pickups Were Forever Frying Those Switches But That Was Late 80'S!

Here Are A Couple Of Pics Of Your Clutch Interlock Switch and Pedal Assembly! Might Help a Future Thread Reader! Also Pictured is Clutch Slave! Issues Here as Well can Cause Problems!

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 6/2/23 at 07:20 PM.
Old 6/2/23, 10:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for adding the Pics to my tread. In my case it was the lower switch that was missing the grommet. The upper switch controls the cruise control. Th lower controls the starter.
Old 6/3/23, 01:12 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,995 Likes on 1,618 Posts
Originally Posted by wwwii63
I have a 2012 MCA Edition Mustang with a 6-speed manual transmission. The other day I started the car with no problems. I got to work, and it would not start. Luckily, I was on a hill and was able to bump clutch start it. I was able to drive it home without any issues. I have done some modifications to the vehicle but have not had any problems with her. The next morning, thankfully it was my weekend, I began diagnosing the problems. I went through the entire starting system from fuses, relays, continuity and resistance of the wiring, voltage checks and even reprogramming the PATS with ForScan twice. I spent 4 1/2 hour with no luck. I figured I would share this with the community because it could have been a very expensive repair to troubleshoot this issue if I were to have gone to a mechanic, let alone the Ford Stealership. After all my diagnosing of this issue, I found it to be a very simple resolution to this issue. On the clutch lever, there is a metal tab with a hole in it welded to the lever. On the tab is supposed to be a rubber grommet in the hole. It had fallen out. The additional 1/4 inch the grommet provides allow the Clutch Down Sensor to be activated. Thus, allowing the ignition system to provide power to the starter via the Smart Junction Box (SJB). In total, I spent 5 hours on a 30 second fix. Just thought you all may want to know especially since I initially could not find anything wrong. Look for the simple things first.
Thanks for providing very valuable information thru your personal, first-hand experience... Despite having to go through very extensive troubleshooting, your persistence and dedication paid off which is what matters more than anything else... In addition, the info you provided will indeed become very helpful for those who may also encounter similar issues down the road as well.
The following users liked this post:
wanted33 (6/4/23)
Old 6/3/23, 02:33 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Thanks for sharing! All of us S197 guys with manual trannys have cars that will likely need this fix some time soon.
Old 6/4/23, 06:49 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Thanks for that great tip. Folks like me wouldn't know about that little rubber thingy.
Old 6/17/23, 01:10 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I appreciate you for sharing useful information. You really made my day. Thank you I'm a spammer and have been banned for this post.

Last edited by svopaul; 6/22/23 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Spammer
The following users liked this post:
05stangkc (6/17/23)