General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Speed Limits - Do They Save or Take Lives?

Search this Thread

Old 12/25/05, 08:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

After reading the "Taken to jail for exceeding 100 MPH" thread, I figured I'd start a thread about speed limits.

For several months now I have been researching and reading about speed limits and the grand experiment they had in Montana from 95-99 where they removed speed limits from all non-city highways. I read how fatalities dropped over 50% when speed limits were removed, about how judges, the DOT, the Attorney General, and all those who benifited from enforcement grants (money from traffic tickets) spread false propoganda to try and pressure the state legislator into reinstating the state's speed limit laws. They were unsuccessfull in that endeavor but circumvented the legislator's power by ruling the "reasonable and prudent" speed law unconstitutional through its supreme court. After speed limits were reinstated with full enforcement, fatalities increased over 111% and continue to increase to this day.

The more I read about speed limit enforcement, the more I am convinced that most state governments are more concerned about getting our money than our safety. Every traffic engineer you speak to will tell you that speed doesn't kill, but artifcally low speed limits, tailgating, and agressive driving DO!

I've never seen a thread on here that has addressed the issue of speed limit enforcement, so I figured I would start one. For reference, I'll include some links that everyone can check out. Let's have an intelligent discussion about pros/cons of speed limit enforcement.

Montana No Speed Limit Study

Montana No Speed Limit Followup Study 2001

Effects of Raising/Lowering Speed Limits

The American Autobahn

The Speed Trap Exchange

National Motorists Assosiation Speed Limit Research Links
Old 12/25/05, 10:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea makes sense. Now only if you could convince the Goverment
Happy Holidays
Coleman
Old 12/25/05, 07:21 PM
FR500 Member

The problem is not so much speed in itself, but the density of traffic and the speed differences between cars in said traffic that is the problem. Usually, its the morons not paying attention to the flow of traffic around them and going either too fast or too slow for the given conditions. However, IMO I don't think the majority of drivers in the US could handle driving at Autobahn speeds (keep in mind your opinion of other drivers' skills or habits when you're out on the road). $0.02.
Old 12/25/05, 08:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Artificially low speedlimits give a false sense of safety and security, usually giving drivers an excuse to "slack off" driving and not pay full attention.

When given the option of high rates of speed, full concentration is then devoted to said driving, and safety measures are taken ( seat belt ) as a result.

It really is simple.

Not to say, accidents won't still occur with high rates of speed involved, that is the nature of getting on the road.

Stricter guidelines to get and retain a drivers liscense, more rigourous driving education, and higher speed limits on most highways, with "safe and prudent" limits on major designated flow-ways.

Seems like traffic cops and the such just getting their panties in a twist over a loss of authority -- more worried about feeling like they have power and handing out tickets than people actually being safer.
Old 12/27/05, 10:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by TexaStang@December 25, 2005, 9:55 PM
Stricter guidelines to get and retain a drivers liscense,
Many years ago, my grandma got her license re-newed after failing the eye test. She sweet talked the guy behind the counter. I love my grandma, but that scares me. Fortunately, she never got in an accident.
Old 12/27/05, 11:55 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Arguments can be made for both sides.

The reality is not every car is performance enhanced, not every car is meticulously maintained, not every driver can handle high speeds, not every non city highway is suited for high speeds, ect, ect. Speed doesn't kill. It's all the related factors that do which leads little room for driver incompetence.

I can only imagine what highways would be like if free rein were to be given to anyone who has a licence. All one has to do is read on some of the expert comments which are made on this very board to know we are long ways from having our own Autobahns, much less being able to handle one.
Old 12/27/05, 12:05 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
The states could get a lot of money back into their coffers if they upped the price for Driver's Licenses, in my opinion. I know I'd feel much safer if tougher course were instructed and the cost of the licenses limited the knuckleheads on the roadways . . . . . but then the economic factors would, I'm sure, be quite a strain since many couldn't afford the costs associated with obtaining a license that cost $1K. Perhaps a Federal Driver's License in addition to State Licenses might be an option for those wishing to drive faster legally, but not in congested area, i.e., the manner in which the Autobahn is currently configured.

Then there is the whole insurance companies . . . . . .
Old 12/28/05, 07:39 AM
Cobra Member

this country is not ready to step up to a first world class driving environment... the highways are not prepared, the people are not educated, too many distractions IN the car (phone, DVD players, etc) plus all the insurance companies like it was mentioned above... we might have first class cars, but we are driving in third world country roads
Old 12/29/05, 12:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just remember, the 55mph speed limits that were imposed in the 1970s and 1980s were not to save lives or provide a safer driving environment, but to reduce America's fuel consumption.
Old 12/29/05, 06:37 AM

Add the probabilty of road rage to the equation, which at 120 mph might put a few other drivers in a compromising predicament.
Old 12/29/05, 07:17 AM
I talk to cones.

Look at the illustrations on that American Autobahn website. Look at the proportionate fatalities according to vehicle miles. Looks about the same to me, I don't think the argument holds up that the higher speeds either reduce or increase traffic accidents/fatalities.

Devils Advocate says

But you can't really even take that because there are probably a disproportionate number of fatalities to wrecks in comparison to the US on the Autobahn because of the higher speeds. At the higher speeds of the Autobahn a wreck may be more likely to cause a death but there may be a lot less wrecks.
Old 12/29/05, 01:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT@December 29, 2005, 9:40 AM
Add the probabilty of road rage to the equation, which at 120 mph might put a few other drivers in a compromising predicament.
I gotta agree with that. I tell you that there is no way that half of these vehicles that miraciuosly pass inspection can handle high speeds.

Like George and others have stated, it's the density of today's traffic that is so detrimental. IMO I think that DL's should cost money. That and the legal driving age should raised to at least 18 in today's world.
Old 12/29/05, 02:01 PM
I talk to cones.

Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT@December 29, 2005, 2:35 PM
I gotta agree with that. I tell you that there is no way that half of these vehicles that miraciuosly pass inspection can handle high speeds.

Like George and others have stated, it's the density of today's traffic that is so detrimental. IMO I think that DL's should cost money. That and the legal driving age should raised to at least 18 in today's world.
My DL costed $10

Personnally I think that raising the age limit on driving is not a factor that will help. Perhaps a more comprehensive driving school and driving edacit(speeling???) program should be implemented. I would agree that the initial cost of a driving liscence should be increased but only to help pay for such schools.
Old 12/30/05, 05:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

In the four years of German I took one of the few things I learned was that on most German Autobahns there is so much traffic you can't actually go very fast. Also their roads are much thicker than ours, and I think it costs around (the equivelent to) 3,000 dollars for a drivers license which you can't get till 18 I believe. Thats all I'm saying, I'm staying out of this argument!
Old 1/3/06, 12:57 AM
V6 Member

I agree with you, law inforcment around here isn't very good ether. They put speed traps around, (puting dumbbies in police cars) and put them on the side of the road. Then they like bug people who are just going a few MPH over..
Old 1/3/06, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by Jay_n1@January 3, 2006, 4:00 AM
... They put speed traps around...
I live near by a couple of small towns, notorious as speed traps for years, so AAA placed billboards warning drivers: WARNING -- SPEED TRAP 3 MILES AHEAD in bright colors!

I can assure you the law enforcement departments affected are not amused in the slightest. eace:

Old 1/3/06, 01:56 PM
I talk to cones.

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT@January 3, 2006, 2:45 PM
I live near by a couple of small towns, notorious as speed traps for years, so AAA placed billboards warning drivers: WARNING -- SPEED TRAP 3 MILES AHEAD in bright colors!

I can assure you the law enforcement departments affected are not amused in the slightest. eace:

I saw one of those in Florida I think near Gainsville, and there was still a speed trap there.
Old 1/3/06, 03:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they took the speed limit away here, or made an autobahn type thing, it would be chaos! Canadian Drivers (on the most part, I'm sure you members are super good drivers ) Suck!
Old 1/7/06, 03:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by rony1976@December 28, 2005, 8:42 AM
we might have first class cars, but we are driving in third world country roads
You have obviously never been to a third world country.

All I know is this:

Yes, speed limits generate a massive amount of revenue.

If that revenue was not there, the government would need another way to supplement the budget...hello taxes. Which do you prefer, taking your chances on getting a ticket, or knowing for sure you will pay the extra tax every year no matter what.

As far as speed kills, you can't honestly tell me that you feel safer losing control or getting in an accident at 100mph than you do at 75 mph or 55 mph. Now I am not bagging on anybody's driving skills, but when there is an accident, speed definately is a HUGE factor in the outcome.

However the question you ask is kind of jaded. You are comparing speed limits vs. amount of accidents. I think what you should be asking is type and severity of accidents vs. speeds accidents happened at. I think that would give you a much better answer to the "Speed Kills" question.
Old 1/8/06, 07:18 PM
V6 Member

Well I can see why people feel like speed limits are needed but I think it is only because they have been conditioned to believe they can't handle a car at higher speeds. Going faster may increase your chances of getting into an accident if something unexpected happens (although you are suppose to be looking out for other drivers all the time) but that doesn't mean you can't handle it if does happen. Far too often people assume because your chances have increased of something bad happening, then it's not worth it to do it. Why even bother driving cars? They are definately more dangerous than bicycles yet we all use them.

I personally like the idea of getting a "special license" to drive at higher speeds and more agressively. You just have to take some road course lessons and more training to obtain it.

Quick Reply: Speed Limits - Do They Save or Take Lives?