General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Sound insulation tips and advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 10/28/06, 01:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Sound insulation tips and advice needed.

I'm interested in applying extra sound insulation just to reduce highway windnoise/road noise, and heard that eDead is a very affordable solution:
http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/pro...products_id=51

However, I'm not exactly sure where to apply it. I'm not looking for ultra-high quality insulation to improve audio system quality, but I just want to reduce road/wind noise to make my commutes quieter.

On a S197 GT, do I just need to apply it in the trunk? Do I cut and stick this stuff to all the flat surfaces including under the decklid? What about the floorpan, doors, etc...? Is the stock insulation good enough? I'm thinking the firewall area needs some insulation as well, and any area that is simply sheet metal and exposed to both outside and the interior cabin.

I also have a Ford cargo van that is in serious need of insulation (practically none after the driver/passenger area).

Do I simply clean the surface with Windex?
Old 10/29/06, 12:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used eDeadV1se2 on the doors only - it did a pretty good job of cutting down the road noise. I used an old 3/8" carpet pad in the trunk. This is so that when I want it loud, I can take it out. When I'm planning on taking a long trip or whatever reason, I can put it back in.

I'd start with the doors and trunk first. Do it in little bits and see how you like each bit. If you do the car all at once, you may find it too quiet and then left wondering where to pull it out, and that could get messy.

I cleaned the surface of the door panels with a little rubbing alchol first.