General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Snow tires or studded?

Search this Thread

Old 9/26/05, 11:39 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well it's getting to be that time of year again when all us folks not living in sunny California or Florida have to start thinking about winter. I was wondering what everyone thinks the best solution is, studded tires or just regular winter ones. I have heard that studded ones have to be made of harder rubber to hold the studs in than the regular snow tires are, and so they are less tractable after the studs are a little bit worn. Apparently the studs get directional if they get spun a couple times on a road without snow, which would happen pretty easy. Looking for any info and experience.
Old 9/26/05, 11:55 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Just drive slowly and get some weight in the trunk and you'll be fine/ I've been driving with same summer tires every winter for the past 4 years - no problems at all. For this summer I have F-150 4x4.
Old 9/27/05, 10:09 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Blizzaks + weight in the trunk and you'll be fine.

I drove through the entire winter with just Blizzaks on my stock rims and no weight. I didn't have a problem.
Old 9/28/05, 08:15 PM

I drove in the German and Austrian alps during the entire winter on snow tires alone (Michelins). I was stationed there for 5 years and went snowboarding often. The Stang had no problems at all. Just drive carefully.
Old 9/28/05, 08:19 PM

Just get yourself a cheap set of studded tires. They will totally outperform any of the expensive winter tires on the market. Mine have four or five winters on them and they still have insane grip even with worn studs.

Interesting read:

http://www.pfmmag.com/JulyAugust2004/Julya...tuddedtires.htm
Old 9/28/05, 08:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

You don't need the high-end brand winter tires like Blizzaks to get good grip but they will offer the most versatillity and a much quiter ride through the design and engineering of the tire. Studded snow tires are quite noisy on pavement and are only going to help when theres snow or ice on the road.
Old 9/28/05, 09:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

A modern winter tire such as the Blizzak or Alpin offers grip close to what you can get with studs, but is still a decent, livable tire after the plows have been out and you're driving on dry pavement. My Alpins have a smoother, quieter ride than the OE Gatorbacks or the G-Forces that replaced them. That's something you definitely can't say about studded snows.

I'd suggest checking out some of the articles at tirerack.com. They do a lot of testing on their products, and I found this interesting snippet:
On the road, the studded Wintermaster Plus demonstrated the traits that reflected its design. The studs reduced the tire's ride quality, handling feel and noticeably increased its noise level. In this test on the road, the Wintermaster Plus was rated as the least comfortable and least proficient of the three tires.

However, it was on the ice that we received our biggest surprise. We expected the studded Wintermaster Plus to reward us for its less than desirable road manners by providing the best ice traction. And after the Wintermaster Plus' first acceleration run, we thought it was a clear winner…until Bridgestone's studless Winter Dueler's first acceleration run proved to be faster! While the studded Wintermaster Plus provided more ice traction than the studless 4x4 Alpin, it couldn't match the acceleration or cornering capability of the Winter Dueler. The studded Wintermaster Plus' average 60 foot acceleration times on ice were about 0.5 second (10%) slower than the Winter Dueler. In the cornering exercise, the studded Wintermaster Plus hit an average of 2.6 cones, indicating that it couldn't hold as tight a line through the corner as the Winter Dueler.
Old 9/28/05, 10:33 PM
Cobra Member

Hmm, looks like a pretty even split. Maybe i'll make my decision once i see the prices.
Old 10/2/05, 01:01 PM
Bullitt Member

I'll just drive my Jeep when it snows.

:drive:
Old 10/3/05, 05:47 PM
Bullitt Member

I am going to drive on my dunlap sp 500's threw a chicago winter just to **** everyone off. Mustangs are ok in the snow. Everyone thinks driving them is like playing hockey with a babys bottom rubbed down with olive oil.