General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Saving up for a new stang!

Search this Thread

Old 9/11/11, 10:31 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saving up for a new stang!

Alright guys, hi, i am new here. So I have a couple questions, I bet y'all can answer for me.I just turned 16 and want a sick stang,

So, i am saving up for a 2010 mustang, not a gt but a regular kind is just fine. i am not sure how much to save up for? I am thinking around $15k mark, just because, currently, there are stangs locally and on eBay for around $15-18k. So I figure in about 6-7 months, I can find a decent one for 15k? Iam fine with it being a salvage title or what not. I also was looking into converting into a gt 500 clone, and found a complete body kit for $3k on eBay. I like the 2005-09 mustangs, but I hate the rear view. It just looks bleh... So here are some questions I have:

1. Is it possible to convert a 2005 mustangs back to a 2010 rear view? I don't think it's possible but worth a shot!

2. Have any of you tried to convert your mustang to a gt500?

3. Do you guys think $15k is enough money for a 2010 in June of 2012?

4. Is the mustang an good in the winter? I can take my dads car in the winter cause he drives a god **** Prius!!

5. Are there any really sick 2005-09 body kits out there?
Old 9/12/11, 09:26 AM
GT Member

can anybody answer my questions? : (
Old 9/12/11, 11:48 AM
Cobra R Member

Don't try to clone a gt500! And stay away from salvage titles. For that price you can get a GT mustang 2007 or older. Heck you could get a new edge or sn95 cobra!
Old 9/12/11, 11:54 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got my cobra for 4800 so you can get a newer one for around that price . And I dispize clones
Old 9/12/11, 12:13 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by texastboneking
Got my cobra for 4800 so you can get a newer one for around that price . And I dispize clones
I really don't want to a 1997 cobra... . I definitely want a car newer than 2005 and prefer something along the lines of a 2007 gt500 or 2010 gt 500 clone just cause the way they look.
Old 9/12/11, 12:15 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cpotts13
Don't try to clone a gt500! And stay away from salvage titles. For that price you can get a GT mustang 2007 or older. Heck you could get a new edge or sn95 cobra!

I'd rather have a 2010 clone than a gt 2007 unless it was a legit gt500 cause

2010 mustang v6 gt500 clone = 2007 mustang gt500

That's what I think just based on looks. I really don't car thAt much about performance as long it the car looks sick which is why I want a newer model. What is the new edge? Ford edge? Also I have no idea what a sn95 cobra is....
Old 9/12/11, 12:15 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by Mo.karney

I really don't want to a 1997 cobra... . I definitely want a car newer than 2005 and prefer something along the lines of a 2007 gt500 or 2010 gt 500 clone just cause the way they look.
Honestly to me.. a cloned car makes you look like a poser...

Last edited by texastboneking; 9/12/11 at 03:46 PM.
Old 9/12/11, 12:17 PM
Calgon Take Me Away!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A power? I think I know what you meant lol
Old 9/12/11, 03:36 PM
GT Member

Honestly to me.. a cloned car makes you look like a power...
MAkes me look like A power?
Old 9/12/11, 03:45 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

MAkes me look like A power?
Auto correct. Poser
Old 9/12/11, 03:46 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Auto correct. Poser
There fixed it.
Old 9/12/11, 04:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Your exhaust better sound amazing if you think anyone is going to think a v6 is a gt500... Look for an 05+ GT... Great cars! I never had a single problem in my 05... Not one! Plus you could probably find one with a body kit, new hood, exhaust, etc. that'll look bad ***... Clone=Same level of badass as Rice. Just my .02
Old 9/12/11, 04:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
1. Is it possible to convert a 2005 mustangs back to a 2010 rear view? I don't think it's possible but worth a shot!

4. Is the mustang an good in the winter? I can take my dads car in the winter cause he drives a god **** Prius!!

1. You may be the only person ever to like the 2010 rear better than a 2005 rear, but either way...it's not swappable. The rest of the body won't match up.

2. Plenty of people have swapped a few pieces and also the whole kit. It should mostly bolt on, as long as you get everything you need. Do a search and you'll probably find some more info. Just please don't put Cobra badges on it...Then you will be a poser. And that's riding on the edge of being a ricer.

3. If you can find them for $15-18k already, then there's your answer. But definately stay away from salvaged titles. They're likely FUBAR and will never be right.

4. Tell your dad to man up and ditch the Prius. Where are you located? I'm in Texas, and I can handle the winters just fine...but we hardly have a winter. So it just depends where you are and how prepared you are. Of course a good set of winter tires/etc will help a lot.

5. When I was looking at body kits, I was always fond of Street Scene. But it's all up to your personal tastes. Look around on AmericanMuscle.com There should be quite a few on there. Personally, I'd recommend mix 'n' matching parts to make your own body kit...pick a grill, chin spoiler, rear spoiler, decals/paint, louvers, etc. Instead of trying to be a GT500...just be you.
Old 9/12/11, 07:09 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
1. You may be the only person ever to like the 2010 rear better than a 2005 rear, but either way...it's not swappable. The rest of the body won't match up.

2. Plenty of people have swapped a few pieces and also the whole kit. It should mostly bolt on, as long as you get everything you need. Do a search and you'll probably find some more info. Just please don't put Cobra badges on it...Then you will be a poser. And that's riding on the edge of being a ricer.

3. If you can find them for $15-18k already, then there's your answer. But definately stay away from salvaged titles. They're likely FUBAR and will never be right.

4. Tell your dad to man up and ditch the Prius. Where are you located? I'm in Texas, and I can handle the winters just fine...but we hardly have a winter. So it just depends where you are and how prepared you are. Of course a good set of winter tires/etc will help a lot.

5. When I was looking at body kits, I was always fond of Street Scene. But it's all up to your personal tastes. Look around on AmericanMuscle.com There should be quite a few on there. Personally, I'd recommend mix 'n' matching parts to make your own body kit...pick a grill, chin spoiler, rear spoiler, decals/paint, louvers, etc. Instead of trying to be a GT500...just be you.
By gt500 clone i am talking about just the front bumper and the spoiler. wtf would I stick cobras on a v6 ricer? I live in Nebraska and the winter is ****ing pain in the ***. Last winter we had at least 4-5" every other week. By the time it all melts, another storm shows up! Yep, I mean I can pick up a 1 owner, perfect car fax, sub-20k miles, 2010 mustang gt for only $15k right now. I saw some different body kits, but don't like a lot of instead I was thinking for a gt500 body kit. Also, am I really the only one to like a 2010 rear better? The 2005-09 rear looks like a bare chest.... And a 2010 looks like a bountiful chest......
Old 9/12/11, 07:20 PM
Bullitt Member

By gt500 clone i am talking about just the front bumper and the spoiler. wtf would I stick cobras on a v6 ricer?
OIC... Much better... I know you've seen cobra badges where they didn't belong, that's what I thought you were doing...Lol And I also like the 10+ rear better but I'm pretty sure I'm the only one on this site
Old 9/12/11, 07:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Alright guys, hi, i am new here. So I have a couple questions, I bet y'all can answer for me.I just turned 16 and want a sick stang,

So, i am saving up for a 2010 mustang, not a gt but a regular kind is just fine. i am not sure how much to save up for? I am thinking around $15k mark, just because, currently, there are stangs locally and on eBay for around $15-18k. So I figure in about 6-7 months, I can find a decent one for 15k? Iam fine with it being a salvage title or what not. I also was looking into converting into a gt 500 clone, and found a complete body kit for $3k on eBay. I like the 2005-09 mustangs, but I hate the rear view. It just looks bleh... So here are some questions I have:

1) Not without a ton of body work and wiring. Don't. Just... dont.

2) Converting to GT500 is cheesy, IMO, and you'll need a lot more money than your $15k.

3) Sounds doable by then, maybe. No guarantees, of course.

4) Can't say. Here in Houston, it's pretty good, but then, we don't deal with ice and snow much.

5) Yes, there are indeed sick kits. Lots of them make me wanna hurl. There are also sick kits that are cool... but then again, there's more money. $3-6K for them, and you don't even have paint and fitments.
Old 9/12/11, 07:24 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

thats better. i thought you were gonna put snakes on the car. no so poserish now
Old 9/12/11, 07:39 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

1.No its not possible. Well I shouldn't say that anything is possible with enough money but it will not look right since the body lines dont match up at all as everyone has been stating

2. A lot of people have done a V6 swap to the 5.4L and done a GT500 Body Kit also. It is possible but costly as is trying to put on the GT500 Front bumper. Not only do you have to buy the bumper you have to buy the GT500 headlights a bumper support IIRC the grill and a new hood since the stock V6/GT hood does not match up with the contours of the GT500 Grill.

3. I bought my 2009 Brand new with a 10k down payment, If you want to buy it outright than I think 15k would be a reasonable amount for the 2010 V6 but I always go for the worst case scenario and I would expect to try and save around 17k just in case you never know.

4. The 2005+Mustangs actually handle pretty good in the snow ..... For a RWD car. Put some sand bags in your trunk leave the traction control on and take it easy on the accelorator at all times especially going through turns. I live in NY so I know what you mean by saying winters suck lol ... I remember I was driving through the catskills during a blizzard and the roads weren't even paved even though I was going through a mountain pass basically I only spun out twice but was able to save it and I was very impressed with the traction control when I got up to school 3 hours later

5. It all depends on your tastes! There are TONS and TONS of aftermarket things for the S197s. Honestly I would prefer to make my own body kit using various manufacturers items but If you want some places to look you can start with
Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shelby, 3D Carbon, TruFiber, Cervinis, Silver Horse Racing, Ford etc.

Best of luck to you sir!
Old 9/12/11, 09:39 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by houtex
1) Not without a ton of body work and wiring. Don't. Just... dont.

2) Converting to GT500 is cheesy, IMO, and you'll need a lot more money than your $15k.

3) Sounds doable by then, maybe. No guarantees, of course.

4) Can't say. Here in Houston, it's pretty good, but then, we don't deal with ice and snow much.

5) Yes, there are indeed sick kits. Lots of them make me wanna hurl. There are also sick kits that are cool... but then again, there's more money. $3-6K for them, and you don't even have paint and fitments.
I need more than 15k for a 2010 stang? Everybody else is saying 15k is plenty... Plus aim nota converting to a gt500, aim just getting the front bumper kit which is close 2k... And yep, 2005 to 2010 rear is impossible....
Old 9/12/11, 09:44 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Kona Blur
OIC... Much better... I know you've seen cobra badges where they didn't belong, that's what I thought you were doing...Lol And I also like the 10+ rear better but I'm pretty sure I'm the only one on this site
Well, just got back from the local dealer. They have a red with white racing stripes, gt with 20k miles, navi, backup camera, sync, the works and their sticker was 20k, my dad is a valued customer there since that is where he bought his insight. So a 10% discount drops it to 18k and the dealer will take care of closing costs. Not sure if I should bite this, my dad is willing to loan me the money for it since it's a good deal and he owes me a good 7-8k... What y'all think?

Quick Reply: Saving up for a new stang!