General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

A Prius killed my mustang.

Search this Thread

Old 5/31/14, 10:08 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy A Prius killed my mustang.

So today on my way to work, I hit some traffic, it was almost rush hour so it was expected. traffic on the highway came to a stop, I stop. and BOOM!!!!! my front end is in the back of a Dodge Ram Pickup truck.

A prius came from behind me doing what I am assuming highway speed, so about 65 and slams into the back of my 2014 and hurls me into the back end of the truck, the force was enough to push the truck into the prelude that was infront of him and cause some serious damage as well.

=[

Didn't notice until after the fact, but the first thing I did, before I even assessed my own well being was jump out the car to see how bad the damage was. After my stomach dropped after seeing the carnage the dang prius caused, I then went to check on everyone else who was involved.

I personally think the damage is pretty bad, but then again it is my car, so maybe you guys can take a look and let me know what you all think.

With this happening at about 5 PM on a Saturday insurance informed me I am going to be without a car until Monday, and I will also not know about the extent of the damages.

This is the first time I have been involved in something like this, so any input is appreciated.

Ive had this car for less than six months and have babied it since the day I got it. With this sort of accident with impact forces from both the front and the back I am worried about frame damage, and even if the insurance does get the car fixed, im sure that the car will no longer hold its value at all, and perhaps this will lead to problems down the road, which really scares me, with this car having less than 8k miles on it.

Ive been trying to think of all the outcomes of this, and if they do total the car, all of the investment into the car, are they a complete loss? Will I be able to retrieve the parts I put onto the car to put onto a replacement stang if this is the case? (i.e CAI, Salleen wheels, Viper alarm system, sound system, etc etc.)

Attached Images  
Old 5/31/14, 10:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
That sucks. Damage looks pretty rough. Not sure if it'll be totaled though...more/better pics? I expected worse on the rear end.

I've wondered about mods as well, and I would think it depends on if you have them covered on your policy.
Old 5/31/14, 10:39 PM
V6 Member

Ive got a video of when the tow truck pulled the car off, it tore the bumper off. but I don't think I can upload videos on the forums.
Old 5/31/14, 10:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
OMG **** that!!! I'd be in jail. Sorry to hear that man...hope it just gets totaled and you get a new one....
Old 5/31/14, 10:44 PM
V6 Member

furthermore, the guy driving the prius was, I am guessing here but between the age of 65-80. pretty old dude. he even had a cast on his right arm from im assuming a broken arm. the guy probably shouldn't have been driving... =-\
Old 5/31/14, 10:55 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I don't know if they'll total it, but it's definitely going to have some frame damage.
Old 5/31/14, 11:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by StangMahn
I don't know if they'll total it, but it's definitely going to have some frame damage.
I didn't think so either, just trying to be hopeful.
Old 5/31/14, 11:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Dennasty
furthermore, the guy driving the prius was, I am guessing here but between the age of 65-80. pretty old dude...
Not very good at age estimating? I'm guessing you're between 18-33.
Old 5/31/14, 11:23 PM
V6 Member

yes, but he also had a broken arm.
Old 5/31/14, 11:27 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
we should ban the Prius from American roads
Old 5/31/14, 11:30 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
Old 6/1/14, 11:54 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Right after we ban incompetent, distracted, terrible drivers. Until then, Prius's (Priusi?, Priusim?) should be banned from the left lane of any public road. And if they have a holier than thou bumper sticker, they ought to be burned. With bunker oil.

Last edited by junkman9096; 6/1/14 at 11:59 AM.
Old 6/1/14, 12:15 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Ironically, my moms Prius suffered even more damage when it was sandwiched between two trucks. Jack@ss kid was texting and caused the wreck.

Long story short, 9k in damage and now looks great. Your car won't be totaled out unless there's some severe engine damage.
Old 6/1/14, 12:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Dennis, I hate to see this. But, it's good to hear no one was seriously hurt. It doesn't look good. I've investigated a couple multi cars accidents like this, and the ones in the middle get the worst damage. The pressure put on the cars frame from both ends does it no good at all. Hopefully the guys insurance company will treat you right. And, it's been my experience that insurance companies don't care if you take aftermarket parts off if you replace the OEM parts, but that been a few (more like a lot) of years ago. Good luck sir.
Old 6/1/14, 02:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i second that !
Old 6/1/14, 03:55 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
First off glad you and everyone else are OK!!! Sorry about your ride! I hope you get treated fairly, get your car repaired and back on the road quickly!
Old 6/1/14, 04:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That sucks! My first guess was somebody texting. My guess is he will try to use the typical Toyota accelerator pedal stuck excuse.
Old 6/1/14, 04:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Hope it turns out alright.

Prius suck all kinds of dung.
Old 6/1/14, 06:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
So a 2014 Mustang V6 Premium is, what, about 25K new? (Edit: Looks like I'm close enough for debate purposes...)

That means that the total damage must be over... uh... something like $18-20K before they'll total it.

Hood, fenders, core support, radiator (and other stuff in that area), headlamps, side markers, grille, lower grille/trim, bumper, bumper cover, airbag sensors likely, rear bumper and cover, lower rear bumper trim, and a smidgen of frame straightening, right off the top of my head. Trunk doesn't look like it got smacked, could be mistaken of course. Maybe a couple of harnesses for the lights or sensors up front or such.

There may be enough push back that the V6 pulleys or bearings might have gotten smacked, so a water pump might be shot from that, as well as the fan(s).

Still, overall, unless there is *serious* frame damage, it doesn't appear *to me* that there's enough there to total. Unless the parts are just made of unobtainum, of course. At least, that's my rough guesstimate. I could be mistaken. But yeah, I'm going they're gonna fix it. Assuming the airbags didn't go off. Even still, that's two covers and two airbags, so... Still not thinkin' it'll be totes.

Sorry your pony got a little bent, but at least it sounds like nobody was hurt, which is the good thing.

Oh, and that'll buff right out.

Last edited by houtex; 6/1/14 at 06:17 PM.
Old 6/1/14, 06:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Did it crumple the doors or quarter panels? Which airbags blew? Doesn't look Totaled if you took pics of the only damage. Looks like he was going a lot slower than 65 or he would have been in your back seat and Prius driver dead.

Nows the time for aftermarket hood.

Last edited by dmhines; 6/1/14 at 06:21 PM.

Quick Reply: A Prius killed my mustang.