Preferred gas / gas stations

Search this Thread

Old 8/7/11, 12:28 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Costco as much as possible.
a) best price
b) high volume fuel turnover
c) on the Amex card kicks back 3% which just about pays my $50 yearly membership
d) I'm a shareholder
Old 8/8/11, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
I always use a Top Tier gas..see the link below. Right now I am using Conoco Premium because the station is close to the house. I previously used Shell, while in Texas, but we do not have Shell stations in my area. I do get much better mpg with the premium then the regular or mid-grade, as they both contain Ethanol out here, while the Premium is pure 100% gasoline. The difference is significant.

http://www.toptiergas.com/
This is some brilliant stuff. I never really paid attention to much of this beyond the price. I just always used premium in my old car because it was supercharged anyway. Looks like I'll be continuing the trend after I get my pony! I've always liked Shell best anyway.
Old 8/8/11, 03:29 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
while the Premium is pure 100% gasoline.
That is now illegal in most States. Thanx to the midwest corn lobby.
Old 8/8/11, 03:34 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco

That is now illegal in most States. Thanx to the midwest corn lobby.
Yep. They are forcing the few pure gas stations around here to use ethanol. And our state and particularly my area produces most of the countries gasoline and almost none of it's corn. I call BS.
Old 8/10/11, 08:28 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
I use Sonoco whenever I can, as the last time I checked they had the highest percentage of North American oil and the least from the Middle-East.

I live in Phoenix and we have Sinclair, which, according to them, draws 0 barrells from the middle-east. After reading the statistics on how much Shell, Chevron, Mobil, etc. draw from terrorist-supporting countries, I've made it a point to get my gas from Sinclair as often as I can.

btw, 11SHELBYGT500 is right. If you do the math, there's not much difference in the price of a fill-up between 87 & 91 octane.

AND WHY DO AZ GAS STATIONS NOT HAVE 93 OCTANE?
Old 8/13/11, 05:47 AM

I is 93 from mobil it is good and always cheeper then the others
Old 8/13/11, 07:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Sinclair, Wyoming

Originally Posted by Musker
I live in Phoenix and we have Sinclair, which, according to them, draws 0 barrells from the middle-east. After reading the statistics on how much Shell, Chevron, Mobil, etc. draw from terrorist-supporting countries, I've made it a point to get my gas from Sinclair as often as I can.

btw, 11SHELBYGT500 is right. If you do the math, there's not much difference in the price of a fill-up between 87 & 91 octane.

AND WHY DO AZ GAS STATIONS NOT HAVE 93 OCTANE?
Big Sinclair production plant there in South Central Wyoming. Dove by it on a road trip on I-80 just last month. Just East of Rawlins. And the town there at the refinery is also named Sinclair! "American Made" folks!! CalStang
Old 8/13/11, 12:06 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by CalStang'07
Big Sinclair production plant there in South Central Wyoming. Dove by it on a road trip on I-80 just last month. Just East of Rawlins. And the town there at the refinery is also named Sinclair! "American Made" folks!! CalStang
the last sinclair in the south left 45 years ago unless there are some i dont know about ...
Attached Thumbnails Preferred gas / gas stations-ardmore-004.jpg  
Old 8/25/11, 05:14 PM

Top Tier for me.....
I started using top tier because the manufacturers of two recent former vehicles and one current vehicle recommended Top Tier for their cars. I like to mix it up between the brands a little bit, thinking that the detergents in each might might cleanse different engine deposits.

Top Tier Detergent Gasoline

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is the premier standard for gasoline performance. Six of the world's top automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance.

Since the minimum additive performance standards were first established by EPA in 1995, most gasoline marketers have actually reduced the concentration level of detergent additive in their gasoline by up to 50%. As a result, the ability of a vehicle to maintain stringent Tier 2 emission standards have been hampered, leading to engine deposits which can have a big impact on in-use emissions and driver satisfaction.

These automakers have raised the bar. TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline help drivers avoid lower quality gasoline which can leave deposits on critical engine parts, which reduces engine performance. That's something both drivers and automakers want to avoid.
http://www.toptiergas.com/why.html
Old 8/25/11, 07:11 PM

I agree, my 'stang runs better on top tier. As aside note I just changed my fuel filter, and I was really surprised at the crap that came out. I will be changing these more frequently in the future.

Originally Posted by mdsbuc
Top Tier for me.....
I started using top tier because the manufacturers of two recent former vehicles and one current vehicle recommended Top Tier for their cars. I like to mix it up between the brands a little bit, thinking that the detergents in each might might cleanse different engine deposits.

http://www.toptiergas.com/why.html