General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Preferred gas / gas stations

Search this Thread

Old 7/14/11, 09:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Preferred gas / gas stations

I didn't see any other threads like this so I thought I'd start one. What is your preferred, why, and what are you running it in?

I have a 2011 5.0 and have been using Shell's 93 octane for the last 4 fill ups and it seems to be giving me the best mileage and performance. I'm getting 18.9 mpg average. I drive pretty hard at times and my daily commute is 50/50 highway and back roads. When I ran 87 for the first couple fill ups I got 17.9 mpg average. Also it felt sluggish at times compared to 93. I don't have a tune yet and only a K&N drop in. I figured 1 extra mpg is worth the extra couple bucks.
Old 7/14/11, 09:40 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I always use a Top Tier gas..see the link below. Right now I am using Conoco Premium because the station is close to the house. I previously used Shell, while in Texas, but we do not have Shell stations in my area. I do get much better mpg with the premium then the regular or mid-grade, as they both contain Ethanol out here, while the Premium is pure 100% gasoline. The difference is significant.

http://www.toptiergas.com/
Old 7/14/11, 10:42 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Great info! Thanks for sharing! I guess there's better gas than I thought at some of the local stations.
Old 7/15/11, 04:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I use Shell V-Power in all of the cars...
Old 7/17/11, 01:20 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use "boat gas" no ethanol
Old 7/17/11, 08:53 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I use Sonoco whenever I can, as the last time I checked they had the highest percentage of North American oil and the least from the Middle-East.
Old 7/17/11, 09:16 AM
V6 Member

My last two cars have only ever had Shell V-Power. I even go so far as to use the trip planner on Shell's site if I'm taking a road trip, or the locater app on my phone. Plus it's easy to find the Shell stations with navi.
Old 7/17/11, 10:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
My car runs best on Citgo.
Old 8/4/11, 10:29 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I alternate between 89 and 93 octane (sometimes the 93 is just way out of line price wise). Always use Shell gas, I started using it in my 07 GT and noticed an immediate improvement in performance and MPG.

Odd story (mentioned this elsewhere) but where I am in NJ there are more non brand name companies then anything else, with many of the brand name stations closing/changing owners and the type of gas they carry. When we had the 07 Edge I noticed in the winter with the heater on that a strong smell would come out of the vents for a minute or so. It smelled like burning oil, I thought it was an engine problem but when the brand new (at the time) 08 Focus started doing it I switched from the no name place to Shell and after a tank neither of the cars ever did it again. Since then I refuse to put anything in the tank but gas from a reputable company.
Old 8/4/11, 11:26 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vistablue mustang
I alternate between 89 and 93 octane (sometimes the 93 is just way out of line price wise). Always use Shell gas, I started using it in my 07 GT and noticed an immediate improvement in performance and MPG.

Odd story (mentioned this elsewhere) but where I am in NJ there are more non brand name companies then anything else, with many of the brand name stations closing/changing owners and the type of gas they carry. When we had the 07 Edge I noticed in the winter with the heater on that a strong smell would come out of the vents for a minute or so. It smelled like burning oil, I thought it was an engine problem but when the brand new (at the time) 08 Focus started doing it I switched from the no name place to Shell and after a tank neither of the cars ever did it again. Since then I refuse to put anything in the tank but gas from a reputable company.
I'm confused, the price difference between octanes is usually .10 cents/gallon. Between 89 and 93 is only 1.50 more per fill up. That's too much?
Old 8/4/11, 11:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

BP 87 or 93 depending my mood lol but i may put a 91 tune on and so ill be using 93 octane from then on.
Old 8/4/11, 12:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I typically only use Sunoco 93 octane, but their locations aren't particularly easy to get to from my house, so in a pinch, I'll use Shell 93 octane. I have two Lukoil stations (they bought out all the Mobil stations in NJ and PA) right up the street from my house (in different directions), and have had issues with their gas. Every time I'd fill up with their gas, my check engine light would pop on, and I'd get a code about a fuel system circuit reading high voltage. Upon research, I found that high sulfur fuels can cause this code in the Mustang, due to some sensor in the fuel system. Back to Sunoco, and I have no problems.

If I'm really hard up for gas, I'll get Wawa gas, but they only sell 92 octane...no 93...

JR
Old 8/4/11, 12:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have compared a couple all using 93 and I get 1-2 MPG better with BP. I've used BP, Sunoco, Speedway so far . . . I think I'll try shell out next and maybe Circle K (Citgo) but for some reason I feel their gas isn't that great even though that's usually what I fill my 99 with sine their 87 is typically the cheapest and closest to my house.
Old 8/4/11, 07:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
I mix it up between a few stations. I read on here a while back that all the gas is the same and different stations add different additives/cleaners.
Old 8/4/11, 11:31 PM
Bullitt Member

I noramlly fill up with Shell, but when I'm broke like right now, I choose arco

and for those who always says "Arco is cheap because its crappy gas"... No, Arco is able to save money on gas prices because they have old gas stations. They don't put TV screens and such at the gas pumps, they don't build gigantic mini marts, etc which allows them to sell for less

But yes I normally fill up at Shell because that's whats around me
Old 8/5/11, 10:27 AM

The gas station I fill up at here is a local gas chain of I think 9 stations. They refine their own fuel just a few miles away, and they purchase their ethanol from a local plant and mix it themselves at the refinery. They only offer 87 octane with no ethanol added and 91 octane that is a 10% Ethanol blend. I always use the 87 Octane pure gasoline and average about 22 MPG with mixed driving in my 2007 Mustang GT convertible. I get a lot better fuel economy with it than I do with other gas companies 93 Octane ethanol blend. She runs smoother too. The best fuel economy I have ever gotten out of her using the 87 Octane was 30 MPG Highway. The best I've been able to get out of her using 93 octane from a big chain gas station was 27 MPG
Old 8/5/11, 06:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Cheapest I can find! Nah, I used 93 octane for the first year I had her, then switched over to 87. Driving her everyday I didn't notice any difference in performance. There are many no name places in Jersey, as already stated, and I usually get my gas from one spot nearby. I haven't had any problems. I use fuel system cleaner regularly so I think that helps keep the negative effects of cheaper gas at bay.
Old 8/7/11, 07:53 AM

I try to use gas brands that bring in the least amount of OPEC barrels into USA.. American Muscle deserves American Fuel. HESS gas is one of the leaders of USA based gas and they're close to my house so I try to use them as much as possible.
Old 8/7/11, 11:17 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I just signed up for Shell's Saver Card. It's not a credit card, but more like a debit card thats connected to a checking account. Everytime you use it you save 2 cents per gallon. It's not much, but if you're filling with 93 all the time it helps.

Just my 2 cents.....pun intended.
Old 8/7/11, 12:05 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
i have a pet pieve about paying before pumping .. my local wavaho is the only place that lets me fill up then pay .. if someone dont trust me they dont get my buisness .. and 87 to 93 octane with 10 % alky runs fine in all my stuff from 150 horse toyota to 550 horse stang ...

Quick Reply: Preferred gas / gas stations