General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Pre Purchase Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 11/4/13 | 09:18 PM

Pre Purchase Inspection

I'd like to start a discussion regarding pre purchase inspections. I'm looking at an 08 GT and did some research - the VIN history revealed that it had been in 2 accidents 2 years apart. I got the detailed police accident report descriptions and the VIN history showed that the car had been auctioned at one point with a description of frame damage. The car has apparently never been totaled and the title is clean (not salvage). The car looks real good and the price is right but I'm wary.

That is not to say that the car is a lemon - I have personal experience in that I once laid down a Harley which resulted in frame damage but once the bike was repaired it was actually better than new.

Anyway, has anyone here bought a car with damage history and had an independent inspection done? The car I'm looking at is in another city so I don't know how I'd go looking for someone I could trust to do a thorough and critical look at the car. Anyone have experience with outfits like Carchex (carchex.com)? What should a pre purchase inspection cost?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old 11/5/13 | 07:40 AM

Find a Ford dealer with a body shop in the city were the car is and contact them to do the inspection. Should cost you aprox. 100.00.
Old 11/5/13 | 08:09 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

A PPI on a problem vehicle is very wise. I get ads all the time from car magazines (Car & Driver, Motor Trend) offering the service. It always seems to be $299. If you can't do everything yourself 'in person' then this is probably the best route to go. When I owned a 911 it was a no brainer to get a PPI. Buyers were considered foolish not to get one. Makes sense when the potential costs could be prohibitive. The same would apply to this Mustang.
I don't have a company to recommend as I always inspect 'in person' no matter how far away. Just follow this smart advice: "You get what you pay for." This is too important to go cheap. Good luck!
Old 11/6/13 | 12:26 AM

A dealer or indy inspection usually runs about $100. Another thought is to try our service and see if someone near the car will check it out for you. They usually run way less that $299 and you'll get someone more experienced than you likely would with a National Chain.

http://www.jewelorjalopy.com/inspectors

Dont' forget that to earn a salvage title most of the time the damage has to exceed 75% of the cars value. That's a lot higher threshold on a new car than one 5 years old.

Good luck!
Ian @ Jewel or Jalopy