General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 2/3/08, 02:13 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
George - Never liked the pipe work of a procharger. If it helps, Paxton came out with the SL series (correct me if I'm wrong here). Doesnt require you to tap into the oil pan. Self contained. Something I'm pondering because I'm a fan of clean installs.
Old 2/3/08, 02:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

For you stick shift guys.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...spagenameZWDVW

Bill
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PAINT...spagenameZWDVW

Subs
Old 2/3/08, 04:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by StangMahn
I do think the Vortech looks the best, but Im just astonished about the Procharger power capabilities.
Taco - a Vortech would look good with your shaker setup.
Yeah Procharger makes some crazy numbers easily upgradedable head units but ultimate power isn't what Im after. Which is why I've walked away from the Procharger. But they do make some nasty numbers

Originally Posted by superfly s197
Okay.... all this blower talk has gotten me to search around and I've narrowed it down: Saleen's shaker/charger (asssuming fit and finish is pristine), Vortech's HO, and Paxton's Novi 2200. Only three that I think would support the shaker mod (another mod pending).

I need something that can be daily driven (even though I'm in the process of getting a dd). I really only paln on pushing it at the track (not sure which would benefit best). I'm looking to start at around 420hp then move up in stages until I'm at a happy number (500hp max).

As far as knowing where I want the power band.. I want to feel the difference between a centri and t/s (Jed ) to see which one my butt-o-meter likes more.

As it stands, I like the Paxton because of it's looks, blow off valves, and air to air intercooler. Not sure which is best: the new sl or the traditional design?
Either one will work fine. Brenspeed continues to sell the traditional version cause no one knows the durability of the new SL version. Atleast thats what they told me when I spoke with Seth about supercharging.

Not sure if the vortech would fit my needs looks nice, but I'm not sure how effective the water to air cooler would be for a dd.
I see it this way. If Tom used his Vortech unti without an I/C for as long as he did with no problems then the air-to-water will only add to the efficiency of the whole thing. Air-to-air would be nice if you can mix match like Tom did but I think either way I/C is best period.

The saleen would be ideal assuming they make an oe-like fit and finish. Waiting on the debut (not in a rush )

Guys, I need help in getting started in the right direction... Remember, I have to keep up with people like Jed ( yah right, like that would ever happen)

Thanks in advance, you guys offer so much info and....

You'll change your mind 1000's of times untill you actually sit down and get ready to spend the cash. Lol atleast I know I have.

you guys are such a bad influence didn't plan on looking into a blower this soon.

Me either, I always said a year or two from now!
Originally Posted by TacoBill
Luis, you have no idea yet what bad influences we can be. (example)

On the SC's, you mentioned starting at 420hp.. guessing you meant 420rwhp, right? If so, I don't think you want to touch 500rwhp with your stock internals... otherwise Kaboom!

I'm still confused at the exact SC fits my bill, but it's leaning towards a centri set-up.

btw, I think I started all this SC talk.

Hah, so your the culprit!
Old 2/3/08, 04:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by USMC0341
I really like how the vortech and paxton look under the hood, but the thing I like about the procharger is that its self-contained supercharger oiling. The vortech/paxton units require you punch a hole in the oil pan as it uses engine oil for lubrication. I want something that can be easily returned to stock if I have to.

In my situation I wonder if I would need a custom tune due to having different cams, higher compression, ect? That will drive the price up.

I want to keep the shaker but I dont know if I could wait for the shaker/supercharger and I know that it's going to be almost twice the price as a centri. The few positive things are that I'll be out of warranty in may(saleen only came with 12mo/12000 mi) so I could do what ever I want, second, all three of these kits are smog legal and have CARB EO numbers.and last I already have built internals so I think I'll be safe there. Thoughts, comments?
I would deff have it custom tune. I wouldn't want to risk your precious 302 to a mail order tune
Old 2/3/08, 06:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Actually regarding centris, punching a hole in the oil pan is great IMO..... everytime you change your engine oil, you're changing your blower oil- simple as that. Have you ever saw how you have to change oil in the Saleen blower for example? Its much more complicated and time consuming LOL....

As far as returning it to stock, mine will be happening tomorrow; I'll let you know how it turns out...... all they have to do is thread bolt into that tap and viola, done.

As far as total output, a Paxton 2200 will support 1000hp just by changing pullies..... and we ran my current Vortech V2 with their smallest pulley (2.62") once just for giggle: it made over 500 rwhp with the tune set for MAXIMUM DE-TUNE and they stopped the car at like 5000rpm. I have no doubts that if they woulda kept pulling to redline, it would have made atleast 550 rwhp and again that's with the tune turned all the way down- plus I was running out of fuel with my current 39lb injectors. I guess all I'm saying is that both the Vortech system and the Paxton 2200 are capable of WAY MORE horsepower than any of you intend to run.

And Bill, actually I think I was the one who started all of the blower talk.......
Old 2/3/08, 11:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
As for the "example:" hahaha. Now I know what all this b.e talk is about. I finally pieced it together.
You're going with us next time Luis.
Start saving your $1 BE fund now.

Originally Posted by USMC0341
I really like how the vortech and paxton look under the hood, but the thing I like about the procharger is that its self-contained supercharger oiling.
Tom's got a good point about fresh blower oil at every oil change.

And if you need to return it back to stock, it sounds simple enough to put a bolt in with some liquid teflon (like what's used on the differential cover drain).

On the Procharger, isn't this the system that has the conical air filter at the firewall, directly over the exhaust manifold?

But George, what happened to the Z06 fund?

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
For you stick shift guys.

They should have a 'quick disconnect' incase there's a fight.

Bill
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PAINT...spagenameZWDVW
Man, they're coming down in price! Painted too!
Buying it and installing it is the easy part... striping it is the PITA part.

Subs
I like it, especially the fact that you tap into the existing door sub amp.
Price looks good, but that'll tap into the Centi fund.

Originally Posted by tom281
And Bill, actually I think I was the one who started all of the blower talk.......
I think you're right. Thanks alot Tom!

Miss this post? I need your current opinion on this.

In regards to UPD's and SC pulleys, is it possible to leave the UDP's in place and run a smaller SC pulley to achieve the same boost of a stock-stock system?

Reason being, I'd like to leave on the cool looking UDP pulleys instead of seeing the rusty stock crank pulley.
Old 2/3/08, 11:48 AM
Cobra Member

Haha. Let the BE saving begin.
Old 2/3/08, 01:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haha. Let the BE saving begin.
yeah, cause if you aren't careful a night at the BE is close to a couple mods.... but it sure is fun

While an I/C is going to give you more power I think the benefits of lower IAT temps and less chances of detonation and I'm sure there is more, is well worth the extra expense, IMO.

In regards to UPD's and SC pulleys, is it possible to leave the UDP's in place and run a smaller SC pulley to achieve the same boost of a stock-stock system?

Reason being, I'd like to leave on the cool looking UDP pulleys instead of seeing the rusty stock crank pulley.
get the stock one powder coated...
Old 2/3/08, 02:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by habu
yeah, cause if you aren't careful a night at the BE is close to a couple mods.... but it sure is fun

While an I/C is going to give you more power I think the benefits of lower IAT temps and less chances of detonation and I'm sure there is more, is well worth the extra expense, IMO.

Bill go I/C... I-n-t-e-r=C-o-o-l-e-d! Intercooled!

Brian thats a good idea. Powder coating solves Bills anti-anythingwhichisn'tperfectlyperfect theme he has going on. Haha, He needs to represent!
Old 2/3/08, 03:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

we need to work on our burnouts some....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyaXMSHbtVU
Old 2/3/08, 03:41 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
yup, someone needs line locks...
Old 2/3/08, 04:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

hit a milestone of some sort today...

sigh.... I need to get a DD.
Old 2/3/08, 04:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Game time..........

Go Pats!
Old 2/3/08, 05:40 PM

Brian, I don't think you can 'post assembly' powdercoat our crank/harmonic balancer pulley because of some rubber isolator in it. I could be wrong though..

Originally Posted by JonCo
Bill go I/C... I-n-t-e-r=C-o-o-l-e-d! Intercooled!

Powder coating solves Bills anti-anythingwhichisn'tperfectlyperfect theme he has going on. Haha, He needs to represent!
I know going I/C makes all the sense in the world, just looking at it from a cost standpoint and whether it was absolutely necessary.

What's this? my anti-anythingwhichisn'tperfectlyperfect theme? You have me all wrong, I'm more of a anti-anythingwhichisn'tperfectlyperfectandmustbesqueaky clean theme.

That was crazy! I think he burned off 50k miles worth of rubber.

hit a milestone of some sort today...

sigh.... I need to get a DD.
13.4 average?? I don't know what 'm averaging, but that sounds pretty crappy.

14k in how many months? If it makes you feel any better, I have over 95k on the Taco.
Old 2/3/08, 05:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

That's my average really. I've only driven it 16 miles since I reset it on the last fill-up, so it's not the best example. However, the 4-5 miles round trip for work absolutely kills my mileage. It's down to 12-13 at best by the end of the week if I don't do any longer mileage trips. I think because I never get it warmed up. Last trip to the Taco Garage I reset on the way there and I was up to 24 Carson and back.
Old 2/3/08, 05:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That would melt our entire rear bumpers My ave mpg is 19.8 with a 93 race tune, 11,500 mile, its a garage queen.

edit: never been reset
Old 2/3/08, 06:12 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Brian, I don't think you can 'post assembly' powdercoat our crank/harmonic balancer pulley because of some rubber isolator in it. I could be wrong though..
I have only a hint of rust on mine after almost 2 years.
Most of it is bare metal.
I thought Bill didn't drive in the rain either.
Old 2/3/08, 06:16 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Brian, you can get one of the new accord coupes. I've heard the 6 sp tranny in those are absolutely fantastic. Im sure they get great gas mileage. And they look good too, IMO.
Old 2/3/08, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by karman
I have only a hint of rust on mine after almost 2 years.
Most of it is bare metal.
I thought Bill didn't drive in the rain either.
Well, it wasn't all rusted out or anything, but it's not as pretty as the Steeda pulley.

And yeah, I haven't been caught in the rain.. yet.

Old 2/3/08, 09:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Best Superbowl ever! Well maybe not ever but it was one of the best in recent years. Way better than I anticipated. Can't believe the Giants pulled it off.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)