General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 1/17/08, 06:02 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by habu
On a MUCH smaller scale....
I 'raced' R/C Nitro Monster Trucks. They handled like... well like trucks. Putting a sway bar on both ends dramatically improved the handling. you can balance the under/oversteer with the right sway bars front and rear. The scale may be a 8th now but the concept is the same.
Brian do you still race the truck? Sounds really cool and expensive lol

Got any info on them would like to know more as it sounds like a cool sport.

Thanks pal
Old 1/17/08, 06:08 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
'Old School' 8-ball didn't have Ford blue or red inlays.

That's fo sho'!!
Party like a rockstar baby!
I know, I know, just improving on the design Bill, geez after 40 yrs or so just a lil improvement on a something that has stood the test of time is OK. Color, we need some color

Oh you're a rockstar alright Billy Boy, at least in your mind you are ha

Have fun guys wish us non SoCal guys could join in, it would be a HOOT

And Bill we expect a full set of exposing pic's detailing all the gory/nasty fun.
Old 1/17/08, 07:03 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by kh765
But why do it in the first place if you don't need the weight savings?
Well, there is the issue of swaybar preload. This not only makes the car lean when sitting still, but also causes understeer when turning one direction, and oversteer when turning the opposite direction.

They make the adjustable end-links to fix this problem, but they are kind of a pain. Take off the swaybar and you won't have ANY preload at all!

Then, you might as well install the delete kit to get that heavy crossmember off, whose main purpose is to support the forces acting on it from the swaybar (which is now gone). The delete kit replaces it with a bar that only supports the radiator.

Unless you are road racing, I really don't see the need for the swaybar - Leo and I have noticed ZERO difference in handling. (And we don't agree on much!)

To test it out, just remove either of the swaybar end links... it's that easy! The swaybar will still be installed, but neither side will be acting against the other. If you like it, take it all out... if you hate it, put the end link back in.
Old 1/17/08, 07:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Unless I was drag racing I do not see the benefit, even with weight saving. You'd save more by reducing the amount of rotating mass (flywheel, DS, wheels....etc).

Good and valid points Brian.

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
I say do it. I really couldn't tell the difference. Worse case scenario you can put it back on in about 30min with basic hand tools.
This is also true. From what Tom and Leo said, the install is very quick and easy.
Unless you're pushing it thru the twisties, you probably won't feel any difference.

Originally Posted by kh765
But why do it in the first place if you don't need the weight savings?
No harm in shaving some weight here and there Kyle!

Originally Posted by philster2003
And Bill we expect a full set of exposing pic's detailing all the gory/nasty fun.
Sorry Phil, I'm 99.99% sure that no cameras are allowed. Leo may be thankful for this policy.
Old 1/17/08, 08:45 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Sorry Phil, I'm 99.99% sure that no cameras are allowed. Leo may be thankful for this policy.
Drat, this must be a good deal you have planned Bill...................Yikes this could be ultra fun
Old 1/17/08, 08:48 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Phil-I had Flowmasters before I got Stingers. The flow's sounded good and were only slightly quieter than Stingers. The Stingers have that extra umph plus the burble during deceleration is awesome.
OK, very cool Leo. I know what you mean about the burble, I get the burble and pop when I slow shift between 1st and 2nd gears (especially in the parking garage I'm in) and when I decel. I love that sound.
Old 1/17/08, 08:52 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Well, there is the issue of swaybar preload. This not only makes the car lean when sitting still, but also causes understeer when turning one direction, and oversteer when turning the opposite direction.

They make the adjustable end-links to fix this problem, but they are kind of a pain. Take off the swaybar and you won't have ANY preload at all!

Then, you might as well install the delete kit to get that heavy crossmember off, whose main purpose is to support the forces acting on it from the swaybar (which is now gone). The delete kit replaces it with a bar that only supports the radiator.

Unless you are road racing, I really don't see the need for the swaybar - Leo and I have noticed ZERO difference in handling. (And we don't agree on much!)

To test it out, just remove either of the swaybar end links... it's that easy! The swaybar will still be installed, but neither side will be acting against the other. If you like it, take it all out... if you hate it, put the end link back in.
What brand did you guys get (Leo/Tom), was it GMS and didn't you get a good price on the kit? I may have to do this cheap mod, although if its GMS I may have to pass as I have a self imposed sanctioning on GMS.'

I think theres a write-up on this isn't there, an infamous TacoBill write-up
Old 1/17/08, 08:55 AM
Cobra Member

OK one last question for all you experts here. I need your honest feedback and suggestion.

I think I can scrape up enough $ for one more mod. So I'm thinking of the following as I'm looking for more RW horsepower. RW Horsepower is the driving factor here.
  1. Under drive pulleys
  2. Delete plates

So what do you think guys which one would you lean to to get the most power bang?

Thanks so much for your feedback pals
Old 1/17/08, 09:36 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK one last question for all you experts here. I need your honest feedback and suggestion.

I think I can scrape up enough $ for one more mod. So I'm thinking of the following as I'm looking for more RW horsepower. RW Horsepower is the driving factor here.
  1. Under drive pulleys
  2. Delete plates
So what do you think guys which one would you lean to to get the most power bang?

I was/am a little underwhelmed by the pullies. I could tell a difference and the motor revs a little quicker but the butt-o-meter didn't register a whole lot.... Delete plates... I dunno
Old 1/17/08, 10:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I didn't do one for the swaybar delete, Leo did it in his garage. I believe he has a pictorial of the steps in his Bucket album and you'll get the gist of it.

RW Horsepower is the driving factor here.
  1. Under drive pulleys
  2. Delete plates
Wow, I dunno if either will satisfy your bang for the buck.

If budgeted for both mods, I'd say you're almost there in gettng a 1-pc aluminum driveshaft. This mod will regain more HP than the other 2 combined, and one that you'll definitely feel.
Old 1/17/08, 10:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

There's some weird stuff happenin' on TMS today.
Old 1/17/08, 10:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper

That's what I meant to say.

What brand did you guys get (Leo/Tom), was it GMS and didn't you get a good price on the kit? I may have to do this cheap mod, although if its GMS I may have to pass as I have a self imposed sanctioning on GMS.'

I went with GMS only because I got it for $15 shipped. Tom's got the BMR bar. Either way you can't go wrong IMO.

BTW-Bill does have a write-up in his stickys that Tom made.

1. Under drive pulleys
  2. Delete plates

Honestly I don't think you'll notice either one by it self very much. Both combined make a big difference. I say just wait and get them both used in the for sale section. That's what I did and ended up getting both for about $220.
Old 1/17/08, 10:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by USMC0341
TMS is acting funny, anyone else having problems?
all flippin day. How are we to keep work interesting if we can't be on TMS ??

sheez

W.T.F. ??

George how are your posts for tomorrow ? Strange crap. Where does everyone else go when TMS is down ?
Old 1/17/08, 10:47 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
all flippin day. How are we to keep work interesting if we can't be on TMS ??

sheez

W.T.F. ??

George how are your posts for tomorrow ? Strange crap. Where does everyone else go when TMS is down ?
I was wondering how you were quoting posts from after you posted...
I have to find something else to do, "my name is David, and im a TMS-a-holic"

you guys seen any cars with painted interiors? I saw one the other day, didnt have my camera on me , but I wonder how much that costs...
Old 1/17/08, 10:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm posting from the future
Old 1/17/08, 11:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yup this is the first time I've been able to get on since this morning.
Old 1/18/08, 01:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Talking about mods you can feel...drove the stang to work and I just cant believe how great the MGW shifter is! It is really a pleasure to drive! Best mod for the money.
Old 1/18/08, 01:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

TMS is acting funny, anyone else having problems?
Old 1/18/08, 05:48 AM
Cobra Member

Yes TMS is acting totally strange and I like the post from the future feature.......................

Or maybe they fixed that. Man TMS was totally PMS yesterday. Make that PMS today also as I can't get to page 738 for some reason. Yikes

Is there a page view limitation, maybe......................... This is so weird not being able to get to page 738
Old 1/18/08, 05:50 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by USMC0341
Talking about mods you can feel...drove the stang to work and I just cant believe how great the MGW shifter is! It is really a pleasure to drive! Best mod for the money.
George have to agree with you, the MGW shifter is so great. I didn't drive my GT long with the stock shifter as I changed out to the MGW fairly quickly given Bill's persuasion so it would be cool again to drive a stock shifter so I can really, really appreciate my MGW. We get used to perfection!

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)