The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   General Mustang Chat (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f657/)
-   -   Ponies on The Run (Again) (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f657/ponies-run-again-432873/)

NYNY53 6/21/07 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by 89Trooper (Post 945508)
...STEAL post 10,000!

:dancedood: :dancedood: :dancedood: :dancedood: :dancedood: :dancedood: :dancedood: :dancedood: :dancedood: :dancedood:

Nice one Tomster, snuck in while we were all sleeping...............

TacoBill 6/21/07 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by 89Trooper (Post 945508)
...STEAL post 10,000!

Good one Tom! Kinda like sniping an Ebay bid, huh? :rofl2:

TacoBill 6/21/07 05:30 PM

Just got back from Hose Techniques and spent $28 on 2 black silicone hoses. :screwy:

Why couldn't C&L use black instead of blue? :banghead:

To top it off, I'm going to have whack off about an inch off one of them. The other one is about 0.75" too long (compared to the blue one), but may fit just fine as is. I'll find out Saturday.

JedCranium 6/21/07 08:37 PM

Speaking about Kenne!

Originally Posted by Ray Man (Post 945480)
You didn't get the aluminum one and have it polished?! :dunno:

Kenne... Kenne... Kenne... Kenne... Kenne!

I spoke with Shaun Eillis from SoCal Tuning & Performance today

http://www.socaltuning.com/

and most of my Kenne Bell parts are in! Woooooo:lol: it won't be long before Kenne's in da house:nice: Next week maybe! I need to figure away to get off from work on such short notice, humm I think I feel a fever coming on:rofl2:

look below :censored: doesn't that just give you a SuperCharged Intercooled bonner OMG! I got your aluminum one!:happy:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...KennyKenny.png

NYNY53 6/21/07 08:48 PM

Works for me Bill aka Jed

That is sweet to say the least and most of us are very envious.

habu 6/21/07 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by kh765 (Post 945513)
I hate you Tom...:bs: :shame:

+10,000

habu 6/21/07 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by JedCranium (Post 945766)

and most of my Kenne Bell parts are in! Woooooo:lol: it won't be long before Kenne's in da house:nice: Next week maybe! I need to figure away to get off from work on such short notice, humm I think I feel a fever coming on:rofl2:

look below :censored: doesn't that just give you a SuperCharged Intercooled bonner IMG! I got your aluminum one!:happy:

Congrats Bill !! I am JEALOUS !!!

kh765 6/21/07 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by philster2003 (Post 945779)
Works for me Bill aka Jed

That is sweet to say the least and most of us are very envious.

I think you can put me in that boat for sure!

Looks sweeeeet. :hail: :metal: :banana:

TacoBill 6/21/07 10:24 PM

That's awesome CPK Bill!!! :metal:

Hope your there for the whole install process, both to document and make sure they don't :censored: anything up!

pville piper 6/22/07 10:51 AM

WOW! Nothing in over 12 hours... :dunno: Is everybody exhausted from the effort of getting to 500 pages and 10,000 posts? :poke:

kh765 6/22/07 11:06 AM

I've just been asleep. :jester:

NYNY53 6/22/07 11:45 AM

Too busy and too tired to post although I was thinking the same thing thats is awfully quiet today, but it is Friday...................

TacoBill 6/22/07 03:09 PM

I have nothing new to report until tomorrow. Then once again I'll be a picture :censored: :jester: !

habu 6/22/07 05:16 PM

I've got nothing going on either. Today is another system upgrade at work, so I just got here, and I treated today more like a Saturday getting stuff done in the morning.

One question for the CDC classic (or any spoiler really) people...Except Bill cause I know his answer.

How much, ballpark, did it cost to get the CDC painted ? I've got two inital quotes of 200 bucks and 450 ? I have no idea what it "should" cost so I don't know if the 200 is too cheap or if the 450 comes w/vaseline ??

While the Database is doing it's thing I'll likely be bored out of my mind and will be here more ...

LEO_06GT 6/22/07 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by habu (Post 946435)
I've got nothing going on either. Today is another system upgrade at work, so I just got here, and I treated today more like a Saturday getting stuff done in the morning.

One question for the CDC classic (or any spoiler really) people...Except Bill cause I know his answer.

How much, ballpark, did it cost to get the CDC painted ? I've got two inital quotes of 200 bucks and 450 ? I have no idea what it "should" cost so I don't know if the 200 is too cheap or if the 450 comes w/vaseline ??

While the Database is doing it's thing I'll likely be bored out of my mind and will be here more ...

$450 sounds crazy unless that's the qoute for both chin spoiler and ducktail. Even then sounds a little on the high side. I'd say somewhere between $200-300 sounds fair since we are in Socal.:grin:

habu 6/22/07 11:06 PM

The 450 was for both at Caliber Collision. The 200 bucks was also for both at the local Ford dealer. There is a place that Bill knows about in Torrance, but to be honest I'm looking for something around my area. Not that Torrance is too far, but it just isn't as easy to get to Mon-Fri when most places are open. Thanks for the reality check Leo. So neither of these are too far off, well not much anyway.

Unless I find a good recommendation for something around here, the Local deal will get my biz. I figure that they've got to paint bumpers and spoilers for wrecked cars so it's not going to be an entirely new process for them and I'm sure they've got Vista Blue...

In other paint news. Ford Blue ceramic engine enamel has been bought and will be applied Sunday most likely, pics will follow!!!

GottaHaveIt 6/22/07 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by TacoBill (Post 946308)
I have nothing new to report until tomorrow. Then once again I'll be a picture :censored: :jester: !

LMAO I do I have a 93 Race tune in sweet mother of god, I best put back to stock if I let my X-wife borrow my Pony .

GottaHaveIt 6/22/07 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by JedCranium (Post 945766)

look below :censored: doesn't that just give you a SuperCharged Intercooled bonner IMG! I got your aluminum one!:happy:

How to get off work , Our Human Resources person told me that if I need a day to just call it a (Mental Health Day) , as in 9 years I've only ever had to take four personal days, Never cry wolf. btw Where & how is RayMan Doing ?

TacoBill 6/22/07 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by habu (Post 946664)
In other paint news. Ford Blue ceramic engine enamel has been bought and will be applied Sunday most likely, pics will follow!!!

Nice! Don't cheese out, Brian! We want pics! :grin:

Unless you're planning on letting it dry overnight before re-installing them?

habu 6/22/07 11:54 PM

I didn't word that correctly. I'm not doing the covers 'til Sunday. I'll take pics as I go and post when I'm done.

Saturday I have to do part II of the system upgrade so I won't have the time to do it then

TacoBill 6/22/07 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by habu (Post 946694)
I didn't word that correctly. I'm not doing the covers 'til Sunday. I'll take pics as I go and post when I'm done.

I understood it. Just was wondering if you were planning on letting them dry all day Sunday, then re-install them on Monday.

I'm not sure how heat will effect the newly applied paint. :dunno:

habu 6/23/07 12:37 AM

hmmmm. good question. Worst case is I'd be able to let them sit 'til Monday morning. I don't think I need to let them sit too long I was figuring on a couple of hours max, then again I haven't fully read the back for the directions yet.

TacoBill 6/23/07 04:34 AM

Brian, I'm a bit puzzled... I see on your 'on order' list a set of FRPP blue covers? :wonder:

Is Sunday's job an excercise in futility?

NYNY53 6/23/07 05:24 AM

What are you doing up at 5:30AM Bill, already starting mod - o - rama Saturday or was that at 3:30AM our time when you posted? :rofl2:

TacoBill 6/23/07 07:25 AM

Just up early to get ready for my fun filled day! :grin:

I get to tear apart my car again! Since I went through my learning curve, it should go a lot faster this time around. Only pics I'll be taking will be of the alternate pulley install and the Racer.

habu 6/23/07 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by TacoBill (Post 946737)
Brian, I'm a bit puzzled... I see on your 'on order' list a set of FRPP blue covers? :wonder:

Is Sunday's job an excercise in futility?

Yea I know. I need to change it. I've been lazy.

Speaking of mod-o-rama, I'm off to Costa Mesa to pick up the SSE Ducktail. :banana:
It is the one thing that I knew I wanted since I bought the car. I'll un-box it and snap photos for before shots.

TacoBill 6/23/07 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by habu (Post 946803)
Speaking of mod-o-rama, I'm off to Costa Mesa to pick up the SSE Ducktail. :banana:

Off to Stillen? If so, inquire about a billet rear GT medallion they have. I saw it in a Mustang mag a few months back. See if there's any other cool stuff there too.

Ray Man 6/23/07 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt (Post 946676)
btw Where & how is RayMan Doing ?

I'm very busy with taking care of my wife and slowly moving into our new home. I have to add some mods to a couple of the bedrooms (patch and paint :grin:).

The Stang has taken a backseat to real life right now but I'm keep tabs on you guys.

Thanks for asking. :nice:

habu 6/23/07 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by TacoBill (Post 946804)
Off to Stillen? If so, inquire about a billet rear GT medallion they have. I saw it in a Mustang mag a few months back. See if there's any other cool stuff there too.

sorry, I literally shut the computer off after that post and never saw this one. Not much to see there. Most if not all of their displays was towards Import mods. The only thing Mustang I saw was the White one parked outside w/a Stillen sticker on it. Either way I at least got a great price for mentioning TMS :nice:

TacoBill 6/23/07 04:52 PM

Steeda replacement UDP and C&L Racer in!!

Job complete! :banana:

No pulley boil/freeze method this time around. Just put some synthetic grease around the crank snout (away from the key way) and went for it (using the harmonic balancer install tool)! :grin:

C&L install was a snap. Brian is correct about that heatshield, it's a POS. Like him, I'm not using that tie-strap around the ABS lines, just looks tacky. The black silicone hoses also worked like a charm. Both were about 3/4" longer than the supplied blue ones, but as you can see, they look fine.

After all was done and the Shaker re-installed (hopefully for the last time!), I downloaded my new 91R tune and took it out for a test drive. All types of driving were put to the test.. cruising, freeway, and my favorite, flogging! All tested fine, no CEL, no fail safe, just pulled like a banshee! :nice:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...l/IMG_4688.jpg

(See the date? My pulley is only 22 days old.)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...l/IMG_4689.jpg

(Here's a good comparison shot between the Racer and K&N)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...l/IMG_4708.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...l/IMG_4716.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...l/IMG_4719.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...h_MVI_4721.jpg

habu 6/23/07 05:31 PM

:nice::nice: Very Cool Bill ! That C&L looks like it'll flow better than the K&N. The black hose looks alot better than the blue, great idea about doing that.

I think I'm gonna wait it out for Tillman to get the "C" heat shield or figure out one myself. If I had a TIG welder I could probably make one better with some aluminum flat pieces.

On a somewhat similar note. awhile back MM&FF(I think) ran a comparison between all the "Cold" Air Intake systems and the WMS provided the best numbers 'cause it was right up front pulling in the coldest air....

Knowing that and even if it'd be uglier than all hell, isn't there a way to insulate the intake from the hot engine bay air ?? something to keep the aluminum or plastic temps down so that the air isn't heated up on it's way into the throttle body ?? There has to be a way to do this. Combining that with perhaps a KB style placement of the filter could go a long way of bringing the freshest coldest air into the motor... a better Ram Air system almost. I swear it'd almost be worth buying another intake just to see what you could do. Put in a temp sensor of some sort to monitor the results. If I could figure this out AND make it attractive.... MOre power baby and maybe even some $$$$$$$

LEO_06GT 6/23/07 05:54 PM

Looks good Bill. I'm surprised you decided not to trim the TB hose since it cuts into the C&L emblem trim.

pville piper 6/23/07 05:56 PM

Looks good Bill! :nice:
I worked on the front brakes on the wife’s car. I took the rotors in and had them turned. She has a 2003 Gran Marque and the brakes were very similar to our stangs. I was really impressed with the fact that there are no exposed slide points and they used rubber bellows to seal them as well. That and the rotor were separate from the hub. This was the easiest front brakes I’ve ever done! In the old days all the slide points would need to be dressed with a file and a coating of anti-seize added. And not having to mess with the bearings/seals was a blessing. The road test went well with no pulling and good stops. It’s Miller time! :cheers:

TacoBill 6/23/07 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by habu (Post 947067)
awhile back MM&FF(I think) ran a comparison between all the "Cold" Air Intake systems and the WMS provided the best numbers 'cause it was right up front pulling in the coldest air....

Is this the article?

There's a guy in Leo's club with the WMS intake. If I remember correctly, he had to do some trimming to make it fit.

Thanks for the :nice: , I really liked how everything turned out.

TacoBill 6/23/07 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by pville piper (Post 947080)
Looks good Bill! :nice:
... It’s Miller time! :cheers:

Thanks!

I agree! http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6..._beertoast.gif

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT (Post 947078)
Looks good Bill. I'm surprised you decided not to trim the TB hose since it cuts into the C&L emblem trim.

Don't your dare Leo! :bat:

habu 6/23/07 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by TacoBill (Post 947085)
Thanks!

I agree! http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6..._beertoast.gif

Don't your dare Leo! :bat:

I wasn't gonna say anything. But you mean for that to look like that ??

:jester::jester:

habu 6/23/07 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by TacoBill (Post 947082)
Is this the article?

There's a guy in Leo's club with the WMS intake. If I remember correctly, he had to do some trimming to make it fit.

Thanks for the :nice: , I really liked how everything turned out.

WMS is just the reference for being the CAI to bring in consistently the coldest air. I'm just thinking out loud trying to figure out how to lower the temp of the air for the C&L guys.

TacoBill 6/23/07 06:09 PM

So the hose slightly violated into the oval section... no big deal. At least the 'C&L' logo is all there. :grin:

Besides, with that extra 3/4" bite from the hose, there's less chance of the elbow popping out when the monster torque comes on! :rofl2:

LEO_06GT 6/23/07 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by TacoBill (Post 947090)
So the hose slightly violated into the oval section... no big deal. At least the 'C&L' logo is all there. :grin:

Besides, with that extra 3/4" bite from the hose, there's less chance of the elbow popping out when the monster torque comes on! :rofl2:

I forgot Tom's the super anal one not you.:grin:

habu 6/23/07 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT (Post 947095)

:gay:
*stepping slowly away from the computer... Way too much info

j/k :jester:
I kid, I kid. Is joke from old....

TacoBill 6/23/07 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT (Post 947095)

Who's Tom? :jester:

LEO_06GT 6/23/07 06:34 PM

Finally got rid of my 17" OEM rims and tires. I got $180 for the tires a month ago and I sold the rims for $200 today. Not bad considering I got within $20 of my $400 goal.

In the process of scoring some UDP's for $125. Camcovers were priority #1 but the UDP deal was to good to pass up. Either way I should be able to score the Podwercoating through a family hook up for atleast half the price of qoutes I got from other places. Other than that I probably won't be doing anymore mods for a couple months unless deals like the UDP's come by.

Next in line...
CMCV Delete plates
CHE Non-Adj LCA's
LCA Anti Squat brackets

mikes rx 6/23/07 06:59 PM

Bill, what's happening with the shift light :dunno:

TacoBill 6/23/07 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT (Post 947105)
Next in line...
CMCV Delete plates
CHE Non-Adj LCA's
LCA Anti Squat brackets

Congrats on the sales! That sure took longer than I expected.

Looks like you have your 'Mod List' in order! :nice:

Originally Posted by mikes rx (Post 947123)
Bill, what's happening with the shift light :dunno:

I'm working it. I sent Raptor 2 e-mails seeing if they'll send me an 'evaluation' light in exchange for free advertising (ie. my write-ups :grin: ). So far, they ain't biting. :bad:

Last resort, I'll have to cut loose of the $85+ bucks. :banghead:

mikes rx 6/23/07 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by TacoBill (Post 947131)
Last resort, I'll have to cut loose of the $85+ bucks.

$110 if you go with the Blue LED's (which really match the dash color that most use with the mycolor...that bluish/white gauge color). :poke:

Also, it is a nice unit and really is worth the money IMO

mikes rx 6/23/07 07:29 PM

BTW, I'm still having the same issues with Firefox and this website. anyone else have some weird things when doing quotes or edits?????

habu 6/23/07 09:07 PM

Next in line...
CMCV Delete plates
CHE Non-Adj LCA's
LCA Anti Squat brackets

congrats !!! :banana: I know you've been wanting to get rid of the tires & wheels for awhile now. What made you go with CHE over BMR on the LCA, was it the bushing issue ? Doesn't the Anti-squat need to be welded or am I thinking of something else?

Too bad about raptor not taking you up on the offer. I wasn't thinking about the MGW at all until I read the write up and tested it that brief time that I did.

habu 6/23/07 09:11 PM

Talking about scores... I just got PM on some FRPP struts for 270. They have some miles on them but still it's much better than 400+ :banana::banana::banana:

NYNY53 6/23/07 09:11 PM

Next in line...
CMCV Delete plates
CHE Non-Adj LCA's
LCA Anti Squat brackets

Leo that’s a great list, one I would do in a heartbeat. and may do so when I free up some more $$$$$

First for me are the Steeda Ultralites, then the 4.10 Gears of War. Then some window tinting and then your list. But you are way ahead of me so your list is a home run dude!

NYNY53 6/23/07 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by TacoBill (Post 947045)
Job complete! :banana:

After all was done and the Shaker re-installed (hopefully for the last time!), I downloaded my new 91R tune and took it out for a test drive. All types of driving were put to the test.. cruising, freeway, and my favorite, flogging! All tested fine, no CEL, no fail safe, just pulled like a banshee! :nice:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...l/IMG_4688.jpg

(See the date? My pulley is only 22 days old.)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...l/IMG_4689.jpg

Looks really good Billster:nice::nice::nice:

So refresh my old memory, while the pulley update again or is this the only will tell by PM?

Regardless, it all looks very nice Bill. Looking forward to the DS mod and how that all plays out.

All in all a good Saturday for the Bill man. Mod-o-rama in full gear.

NYNY53 6/23/07 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by habu (Post 947202)
Talking about scores... I just got PM on some FRPP struts for 270. They have some miles on them but still it's much better than 400+ :banana::banana::banana:

Very cool Brian.

I can't wait till you get your mods painted and installed, I'm sure your GT will be a top looker! And the blue valve covers will be very cool, that’s my choice on valve cover color.

Brian you are definitely going to have one nice GT soon, I'm very happy for you:metal::banana:

LEO_06GT 6/23/07 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by habu (Post 947198)
congrats !!! :banana: I know you've been wanting to get rid of the tires & wheels for awhile now. What made you go with CHE over BMR on the LCA, was it the bushing issue ? Doesn't the Anti-squat need to be welded or am I thinking of something else?

Too bad about raptor not taking you up on the offer. I wasn't thinking about the MGW at all until I read the write up and tested it that brief time that I did.

Reason for going with CHE:
Haven't heard of any bushing problems with CHE.
Don't have to grease them unlike BMR.
The LCA's have a little bracket to hold the e-brake cables.
You can have them painted whatever color you choose.

From what I've read you only need to weld the antisquat brackets if your cutting 1.6 or better 60' times. I'm no where near that as the best I've gotten was a 2.0. I'm hoping the anti-squats will help improve that.

Originally Posted by habu (Post 947202)

Sounds like a good deal go for it. Before you do though have you seen the guy in SD selling his brand new Adj. Tokicos for $400. Something you might want to consider since your coming down this way and for $130 you can have adjustability if that's important to you.

Originally Posted by philster2003 (Post 947203)
Leo that’s a great list, one I would do in a heartbeat. and may do so when I free up some more $$$$$

First for me are the Steeda Ultralites, then the 4.10 Gears of War. Then some window tinting and then your list. But you are way ahead of me so your list is a home run dude!

Thanks. I'll probably get new tires before I do gears. Reason being I'm going to go B's to wall and get 4:10's even though it's an auto. So I want to make sure I have some stickier tires so I'm not spinnig all the way through the 60' when I go to the track.

habu 6/23/07 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT (Post 947232)
Reason for going with CHE:
Haven't heard of any bushing problems with CHE.
Don't have to grease them unlike BMR.
The LCA's have a little bracket to hold the e-brake cables.
You can have them painted whatever color you choose.

From what I've read you only need to weld the antisquat brackets if your cutting 1.6 or better 60' times. I'm no where near that as the best I've gotten was a 2.0. I'm hoping the anti-squats will help improve that.

Sounds like a good deal go for it. Before you do though have you seen the guy in SD selling his brand new Adj. Tokicos for $400. Something you might want to consider since your coming down this way and for $130 you can have adjustability if that's important to you.

Thanks. I'll probably get new tires before I do gears. Reason being I'm going to go B's to wall and get 4:10's even though it's an auto. So I want to make sure I have some stickier tires so I'm not spinnig all the way through the 60' when I go to the track.

I see. Sounds like CHE is definitely the product of choice then. I don't do the drags, yet but the anti-squat sounds like a good deal to get.

I already responded to the FRPP guy before I saw this post. Tokico or FRPP were the two I was considering. Adjustability isn't anything I'm really concerned about and that give the nod to the FRPP over the tokico. That and I think the MGAW strut covers wouldn't fit. I really appreciate the head's up though.

TacoBill 6/23/07 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by mikes rx (Post 947136)
$110 if you go with the Blue LED's (which really match the dash color that most use with the mycolor...that bluish/white gauge color).

I'm planning on RED LED's. I have my lights set to the default white.

Originally Posted by mikes rx (Post 947138)
BTW, I'm still having the same issues with Firefox and this website. anyone else have some weird things when doing quotes or edits?????

Nope. I've been using IE, no problems thus far.

Originally Posted by habu (Post 947198)

Haven't given up on Raptor yet, I'll give them a few more days to reply.

Yup, the MGW is pretty sweet. :nice:

Originally Posted by philster2003 (Post 947205)
Looks really good Billster:nice::nice::nice:

So refresh my old memory, while the pulley update again or is this the only will tell by PM?

Thanks Phil.
I 'obtained' a replacement crank pulley for the one I messed up with the brake cleaner (:banghead: ). Because of Steeda's excellent customer service, I now have a new pulley. :grin:

LEO_06GT 6/23/07 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by habu (Post 947255)
I see. Sounds like CHE is definitely the product of choice then. I don't do the drags, yet but the anti-squat sounds like a good deal to get.

I already responded to the FRPP guy before I saw this post. Tokico or FRPP were the two I was considering. Adjustability isn't anything I'm really concerned about and that give the nod to the FRPP over the tokico. That and I think the MGAW strut covers wouldn't fit. I really appreciate the head's up though.

NP just making sure you saw that post before commiting to the FRRP. When it comes time for me to upgrade the shocks and struts I'll probably go with whichever is the better deal at the time. I'm not a road course guy so I don't think the adj. is that big of a selling point for me either. For now that I'm happy with the stock shocks and struts. Shocks and struts will be a mod that I'll wait for a deal to come by not very high on my list.

TacoBill 6/23/07 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT (Post 947264)
For now that I'm happy with the stock shocks and struts. Shocks and struts will be a mod that I'll wait for a deal to come by not very high on my list.

Me too. Until I see a need to replace all the dampeners, I'll be keeping the stockers.

But you never know, it may fall somewhere between new tires/rims and a few suspension parts I want to swap out.

JedCranium 6/24/07 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by habu (Post 946694)

Saturday I have to do part II of the system upgrade so I won't have the time to do it then

:banana: I installed my left side FRPP powder coated chrome cam cover. Why just the left side? Well because FRPP sent me two left sided gaskets HELLO!:screwy: I spent the rest of the day going to three Ford dealers. Don Knott Ford was out of stock but they said South Bay Ford had 2 in stock. So I arrived at SBF and guess what they were out of stock! :doh: So they sent me to Marina Ford, arrived there they said they have it but it was in their other warehouse! :shame:

So it looks like I will finish this up Monday night.

Below is the left side:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...l/IMG_9956.jpg

Since I was inspired by Doctor TacoBill and his installation my istallation progressed well. I changed a few things during my install. Before I loosened anyting I air sprayed the engine...

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...l/IMG_9903.jpg

I was surprised how much sand and dirt came flying out! Next I installed the gasket in the cam cover so it would have a chance to seat. Mine came very twisted :banghead:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...l/IMG_9954.jpg

I used this tool to remove my plenum cover it's a 1/4 drive ratchet head with and an extension. Removing the Plenum is not necessary for removal of the cam covers. I removed it in preparation of the the Kenne Bell install.:nice:

I decided to remove the coils and detach the all of the connections to the injectors from the get go. I use plastic ties to hold back the wire looms to give me the maximum amount of room when I pulled the cover.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...l/IMG_9925.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...l/IMG_9928.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...l/IMG_9930.jpg

I use 1/4 drive for everything it worked out nice in tight places. You definetly need a universal joint on the socket side. I used a deep socket BTW.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...l/IMG_9931.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...l/IMG_9936.jpg

I pulled the big pieces of silicon off by hand. I had to think about something non abrasive method to remove the finer silicon. I didn't have a nice scraper like TacoBill so I used a piece of wood! Hey don't knock it it worked great:lol: You know battlefield mechanic! :uzi:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...l/IMG_9944.jpg

See it worked great I used some acetone to remove any oill residue where the gasket would seat. (not show).

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...l/IMG_9946.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...l/IMG_9947.jpg

I applied the RTV silicon, I was told by a mechanic to surround the rubber piece on the head, okay! :poke:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...l/IMG_9951.jpg

I notice a few micro scracthed or marks on the new covers. More on the Left cover than the right one. FRPP recommended using a plastic polish to remove any scratches a product named Novis? I couldn't find this stuff at Auto Zone so I used Meguiars PlastX. This worked great! FRPP cautioned from using chrome cleaners or clear coat polish. This will likey damage your cover.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...l/IMG_9949.jpg

During my install I used low tact tape to protect the cover as you slide it in (not show). I also put tape on the dip stick tube and any local exposed billet on the strut tower & master cylinder.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...l/IMG_9948.jpg

Here is that tool again this make the install easy. I started each bolt by hand then used the ratched head to snug all of the bolts down. Then I used a torque wrench set @ 89 inch pounds. Left side done!

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...l/IMG_9957.jpg

Once I finish the right side I do a full write up. Maybe this will help you Brian!

Bill

TacoBill 6/24/07 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by JedCranium (Post 947329)
... battlefield mechanic! :uzi:

:lol: Way to improvise!

Good job on 1/2 the install Bill! The polished KB will be the icing on the cake and will compliment these camcovers perfectly! :nice:

JedCranium 6/24/07 01:17 AM

Ya Bill I can't wait for KB to come home! Looking at my pictures those ugly exhaust things have to go! Those rusty boys need to be replaced, what's your opinion on Stainless Steel vs Ceramic coated?

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...l/IMG_9956.jpg

Bill

kh765 6/24/07 01:29 AM

Kudos to both Bills. Sucks about getting 2 left sides...but it looks great so far.

Hopefully Raptor will come through for ya Bill...

pville piper 6/24/07 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by JedCranium (Post 947338)
Ya Bill I can't wait for KB to come home! Looking at my pictures those ugly exhaust things have to go! Those rusty boys need to be replaced, what's your opinion on Stainless Steel vs Ceramic coated? Bill

Definately ceramic coated... Stainless will turn brown.

NYNY53 6/24/07 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by pville piper (Post 947396)
Definately ceramic coated... Stainless will turn brown.

Ceramic also, stainless will blue and brown like John said

89Trooper 6/24/07 08:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Stainless steel AND ceramic coated. Chrome is what turns the blue and brown.

These headers have been on this engine and the previous engine (they are at least 3 years old):

Attachment 28689

They are stainless steel and then ceramic coated.

If you look closely, the bolts that are holding those headers are stainless steel (and not coated), and they are just as beautiful as the day I installed them.

pville piper 6/24/07 08:48 AM

I stand corrected then. I do remember an ol hot rodders trick that works with chrome headers. They say to coat the inside with motor oil and then run the engine. The oil will seal the pores in the metal and prevent the headers from turning blue. I have not done this myself but I read it in Hot Rod many years ago... And if I read it there it must be true!:doh:

I still say ceramic... Goes with the whole polished theme.

89Trooper 6/24/07 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by pville piper (Post 947415)
I still say ceramic... Goes with the whole polished theme.

Yes... if not both, then at least ceramic.

TacoBill 6/24/07 11:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by JedCranium (Post 947338)
Looking at my pictures those ugly exhaust things have to go! Those rusty boys need to be replaced, what's your opinion on Stainless Steel vs Ceramic coated?

Your only option are the JBA Cat4ward shorty headers. Why? Because they're the only ones that have a CA CARB exempt number.
So, if you feel like cutting loose of $800+ (for $200 headers), get the Titanium ceramic coated ones! :grin:

Originally Posted by kh765 (Post 947343)
Hopefully Raptor will come through for ya Bill...

Well, now I'm considering another shift light. After seeing Bill's MSD light in person, it looks pretty darn good. Some benefits over the Raptor is a brightness control for the LED's, digital RPM display and setting (in 10 rpm increments), and a non-splice pick-up sensor (see pic). Attachment 28695
Only downfall is that it cost more $$$!!! :banghead:

pville piper 6/24/07 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by TacoBill (Post 947483)

You are so tortured Bill! :rofl2:

:hmm: I was riding around yesterday contemplating my exhaust quandary when it hit me... :idea: I'll fix the noise issue with the MGW shifter so that long trips don't end in a headache and then I'll figure out a noise cutout so that I can enjoy the sound while cruising around town!

I think I need professional help!:rofl2:

JedCranium 6/24/07 12:17 PM

Your only option are the JBA Cat4ward shorty headers. Why? Because they're the only ones that have a CA CARB exempt number.
So, if you feel like cutting loose of $800+ (for $200 headers), get the Titanium ceramic coated ones! :grin:

Well, now I'm considering another shift light. After seeing Bill's MSD light in person, it looks pretty darn good. Some benefits over the Raptor is a brightness control for the LED's, digital RPM display and setting (in 10 rpm increments), and a non-splice pick-up sensor (see pic). Attachment 28695

Hey Bill thanks for the header advice looks like I have to save up some penny's and dimes! Yes go with the MSD Shift light, I like it! This first time it came on at night it scared me I thought I was being pulled over! :rofl2:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...mpty/MSDSL.gif

While I was on MSD's web site I saw this below. I am consideriing this when they make it for the 2006 4.6 3V. I want see more info on it first, I wonder if you need to change your spark plug heat range with this thing? On top of that I don't think it's CARB approved yet.:dunno:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...mpty/MSDCL.gif

kh765 6/24/07 12:17 PM

Haha twice as much...but you have that money tree to pick from, right? :grin:

NYNY53 6/24/07 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by 89Trooper (Post 947403)
Stainless steel AND ceramic coated. Chrome is what turns the blue and brown.

These headers have been on this engine and the previous engine (they are at least 3 years old):

Attachment 28689

They are stainless steel and then ceramic coated.

If you look closely, the bolts that are holding those headers are stainless steel (and not coated), and they are just as beautiful as the day I installed them.

Yes I meant stainless then ceramic Tom, thank you!

What a beautiful engine Tom!!!! It would be great if you can share more of those pics. Boy its nice to see an engine that’s so devoid of air pollution and extra "stuff".

Wish I lived closer to you Tom, I could learn a lot from you:hail::hail::hail:

NYNY53 6/24/07 01:24 PM

Oh the benefits of living in sunny wonderful California.......................

Come to a real state where the state doesn't tell you what to do but you tell the state what to do! I guarantee you that you think twice before you flip somebody off here with the concealed gun law. Man oh man you never know who is packing lol I've seen some crazy things on the highway here, glad I keep my NY temper bagged.

Air pollution, not a problem here, we got it and we don't want to deal with it :rofl2:

NYNY53 6/24/07 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by pville piper (Post 947504)
I think I need professional help!:rofl2:

John, you did not leave yourself open like you did..............did you I think you did:rofl2:

Get the friggin shifter and keep spending $

NYNY53 6/24/07 01:31 PM

Bill its a joy to see you in a conundrum, its pure joy to see how you decide how to spend your money. ANd its a joy that you are always first and a guinea pig for the rest of us ya whos

JedCranium 6/24/07 02:25 PM

Flex Hoses, VHP 7

Bill you know how I love spending your money! Remember we talked about flex hoses check out this thread.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...ght=cam+covers

Since were on a bling thing! :bling: I want to introduce a new measurment VHP (Visual Horse Power). SS hosees have to rank at least about 7 VHP on a 10 point scale! Only bad thing VHP cannot be measured on a dyno :banghead: Just your minds dyno! :rofl2:

Bill

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...y/FlexHose.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...ty/FlexRad.jpg

Check this out more goodies! Plus their in Cali!

http://www.pi-thon.com/

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...onnections.jpg

LEO_06GT 6/24/07 05:51 PM

Camcovers look good Bill #2.:grin:

Not a fan of the "blingy" hoses.

habu 6/24/07 07:54 PM

Nice Covers Bill !!

Speaking of covers... Whew, am I glad I'm done with mine... Didn't take too many pics 'cause it was just me and I just couldn't do it as nice as TacoBill does. Dad did come home and help put 'em back on though. Here you go, my 15 dollar solution.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...s/IMG_1695.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...s/IMG_1696.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...s/IMG_1697.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...s/IMG_1698.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...s/IMG_1700.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...s/IMG_1702.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...s/IMG_1704.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...s/IMG_1706.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...s/IMG_1709.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...s/IMG_1713.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...s/IMG_1714.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...s/IMG_1716.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...s/IMG_1718.jpg

89Trooper 6/24/07 08:04 PM

Looks good, Brian! See the directions about the 7 days?

You'll have to take a picture in a week / month so we can see how they hold up.

The new CAI looks good, Bill... "Tom who?"? I'm still reading everything... did a lot of Geocaching with family and friends this whole weekend.

habu 6/24/07 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by 89Trooper (Post 947908)
Looks good, Brian! See the directions about the 7 days?

You'll have to take a picture in a week / month so we can see how they hold up.

The new CAI looks good, Bill... "Tom who?"? I'm still reading everything... did a lot of Geocaching with family and friends this whole weekend.

Thanks !! :grin:
Yep !! (after running back out and re-reading it). I am assuming that the 7 days to cure relates to and additional coat. If it's 7 days before I can drive it, then I'm screwed.

89Trooper 6/24/07 08:13 PM

No, it's until you can re-coat it again. After 1 hour without a coat, the next coat will not adhere properly.

Did you clear coat them with the clear from the same company? I'm guessing yes since you said $15. Prime, blue, and clear?

habu 6/24/07 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by 89Trooper (Post 947914)
No, it's until you can re-coat it again. After 1 hour without a coat, the next coat will not adhere properly.

Did you clear coat them with the clear from the same company? I'm guessing yes since you said $15. Prime, blue, and clear?

good. Then I followed the directions perfectly. 10 minutes between the 3 coats finished within an hour.
I did on the drivers side and it looked very dull... so close to the end of the 10-minutes after I sprayed the clear I used 0000 steel wool to get rid of the little bumps/flakes/weirdness that the clear coat had and sprayed another coat of the blue. The passenger side has no clear coat.

pville piper 6/24/07 08:51 PM

Looks good Brian.

What I wonder is you watch a show like OverHaulin and they spray the engine and such with the same color as the car... You know it has to hold up because most of these are show cars and daily drivers. I wonder what paint they use? :dunno:

LEO_06GT 6/24/07 09:43 PM

WOW! Brian those camcovers look really good. I'm impressed I may consider painting them myself depending on the price I get from my PW connection. How much prep work/paint time was involved?

TacoBill 6/24/07 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT (Post 947811)
Not a fan of the "blingy" hoses.

+1... gotta draw the line somewhere. :grin:

Originally Posted by habu (Post 947900)
Here you go, my 15 dollar solution.

Looks great Brian! Color closely matches the C&L hoses!

TacoBill 6/24/07 09:51 PM

Shift light update!!

Well, forget about the MSD. I really like it, but I can't pass up the offer from Raptor. :grin:

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your interest in our products. We would love to get more exposure. Since we don't advertise, we operate on "word of mouth" advertising.
If you will forward your address and color preferences for the shift light, we'll get one out to you ASAP.

Thanks and we look forward to working with you.

:banana: It's feels good to be the Taco.

LEO_06GT 6/24/07 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by TacoBill (Post 947963)
Well, forget about the MSD. I really like it, but I can't pass up the offer from Raptor. :grin:

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your interest in our products. We would love to get more exposure. Since we don't advertise, we operate on "word of mouth" advertising.
If you will forward your address and color preferences for the shift light, we'll get one out to you ASAP.

Thanks and we look forward to working with you.

(Napolean Dynamite voice) Lucky!:grin:

habu 6/24/07 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT (Post 947958)
WOW! Brian those camcovers look really good. I'm impressed I may consider painting them myself depending on the price I get from my PW connection. How much prep work/paint time was involved?

Basically prep was...

Brakekleen and 000 steel wool to clean it all up. Then used a 3M automotive scruby thing, like you use for dishes but softer, to clean up. One last wipe with paint thinner, let it dry evaporate for about 10/15. Tape up anything you don't want painted.

Once it was done I just laid the cam covers on some cardboard and spayed a light first coat, then two complete coverage coats with 10 minutes in between. Wait 3 hours once you're done. Taking no more than 1 hour to complete.

Now, they can be scratched or if your like me you can drop a wrench onto the newly painted covers. a serious SNAFU. Don't be like me and be in a hurry. S-l-o-w down. Which is a good thing. As long as there is someone to help guide/hold the wires I don't see them getting too messed up.

Differences noted between Bill's write up and mine.
1) apparently a '07 has 10 & 9 cover bolts not 15 & 14 ??
2) the biggest PITA was the bottom passenger side factory gasket sealer. That was the most difficult piece.
3) A green, like for dishes, thing will get and clean up any sealer that the plastic scraper doesn't want to get.
4) the big wire harness is held in by 3 x-mas tree connectors on the side of the ECU, pull these out and you have much more room.

Thanks for the complements !! I was very pleased with how they turned out. Didn't plan on them matching the C&L hose, but I'll take a freebie anyway I can get it.

habu 6/24/07 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by pville piper (Post 947939)
Looks good Brian.

What I wonder is you watch a show like OverHaulin and they spray the engine and such with the same color as the car... You know it has to hold up because most of these are show cars and daily drivers. I wonder what paint they use? :dunno:

I've seen that and have a can of Vista Blue. But this car convinced me not to go that route.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...7/IMG_1615.jpg

It blends too much with the car. It doesn't make the engine stand out. I wanted something that would make someone look at the motor. I wanted contrasts from the Vista Blue, aluminum and black plastic

Now if I could only afford the ceramic coated shorties !!!!

LEO_06GT 6/24/07 10:19 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Don't know if you saw this thread or not Brian but the SHR panel looks pretty Bad a$$ with the SSE ducktail.

JedCranium 6/24/07 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by habu (Post 947900)
Nice Covers Bill !!

Speaking of covers... Whew, am I glad I'm done with mine... Didn't take too many pics 'cause it was just me and I just couldn't do it as nice as TacoBill does. Dad did come home and help put 'em back on though. Here you go, my 15 dollar solution.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...s/IMG_1695.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...s/IMG_1696.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...s/IMG_1697.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...s/IMG_1698.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...s/IMG_1700.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...s/IMG_1702.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...s/IMG_1704.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...s/IMG_1706.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...s/IMG_1709.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...s/IMG_1713.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...s/IMG_1714.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...s/IMG_1716.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...s/IMG_1718.jpg

:nice: Brian your covers look great nice job can't wait to see them at the next Mustang Cafe. :metal:

Bill

habu 6/24/07 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT (Post 947979)
Don't know if you saw this thread or not Brian but the SHR panel looks pretty Bad a$$ with the SSE ducktail.

That is nice. I'd love to do it but am chicken to knock out the window. Not too many VBs with a ducktail. The panel.. :rolleyes:, IMO, Stripes are calling my name :hail:

Bill, thanks for the kind words. By the time the next Cafe rolls around I should have a lot done to the car !!

JedCranium 6/24/07 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by habu (Post 947913)
Thanks !! :grin:
Yep !! (after running back out and re-reading it). I am assuming that the 7 days to cure relates to and additional coat. If it's 7 days before I can drive it, then I'm screwed.

:nice: Brain your cam covers look great can't wait to see them at the next Mustang Cafe.

Bill

TacoBill 6/24/07 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by JedCranium (Post 947981)
:nice: Brian your covers look great nice job can't wait to see them at the next Mustang Cafe. :metal:

Bill

Originally Posted by JedCranium (Post 947987)
:nice: Brain your cam covers look great can't wait to see them at the next Mustang Cafe.

Bill

deja'vu? :dunno:

habu 6/24/07 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by TacoBill (Post 948007)

They look so good he had to say it twice !!:grin:

pville piper 6/25/07 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by TacoBill (Post 947963)

That's cool... Now everyone here will be trying to figure out how they can get something for free! :hail:

Originally Posted by habu (Post 947973)
Didn't plan on them matching the C&L hose, but I'll take a freebie anyway I can get it.

No doubt! :nice:

Originally Posted by habu (Post 947975)
I've seen that and have a can of Vista Blue. But this car convinced me not to go that route. It blends too much with the car. It doesn't make the engine stand out. I wanted something that would make someone look at the motor. I wanted contrasts from the Vista Blue, aluminum and black plastic

Yeah, in a less crowded compartment it would look good but with all the wires it would tend to "fade" into the background. I thinking more of the limited colors that they offer. I would like to see more a selection.

Originally Posted by habu (Post 947975)
Now if I could only afford the ceramic coated shorties !!!!

Seems to be a common theme around here! :shame: Even though I don't have to buy CARB approved ones $300+ is still alot to pay for a purely cosmetic mod not to mention the amount of pain in the a$$ work involved. I love the ad for JBA headers in the stang mags that stated "+25 hp with a tune and a CAI"... Ok, so how much was the headers themselves when everybody is saying +25 hp for a tune & and CAI without the headers? :doh: :dunno::shame:

Originally Posted by TacoBill (Post 948007)

All over again! :rofl2:

Originally Posted by habu (Post 948013)
They look so good he had to say it twice !!:grin:

Easy big guy... Watch the hat size! :jester:

NYNY53 6/25/07 09:30 AM

Never mind, stupidity o n my part

89Trooper 6/25/07 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by philster2003 (Post 948165)
You can file this under nice to know and probably every one already knows information. I just ran into this custom color chart for MyColor.

MyColor Custom color codes

This was cool for me as I’m still in discovery mode for my GT

Check out post #1 in this thread. A lot of good info there.

NYNY53 6/25/07 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by 89Trooper (Post 948251)
Check out post #1 in this thread. A lot of good info there.

OK OK, I admit I never looked at the very first post, I'm guilty

Geez, sorry........................

I knew it was a bad Monday

pville piper 6/25/07 05:33 PM

:nonono: Bad Philster! No biscuit! :shame:

:jester:

TacoBill 6/25/07 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by pville piper (Post 948450)
:nonono: Bad Philster! No biscuit! :shame:

Yeah, bad Phil! http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../th_spanky.gif

:rofl2: :jester:

habu 6/25/07 06:25 PM

Wow there is alot of good info on the first... I mean, yeah... bad Phil :shakehead: