General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

PLEASE HELP! Car got broken into last night

Search this Thread

Old 4/22/05, 09:06 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Well as the title states, my car got broken into and the bastards almost took off with my baby. Here's the story: I', walking out of my local gun range (with my ak and 96 brig.) and walk up to my car. At first I don't notice anything but when I get in the car, I smack my head on my sun visor, that I didn't leave down, and notice that the passenger's visor is the same. My center console was open as well as my glove compartment. So I sit there wondering WTF then it hits me. My baby was broken into. I immediately start looking for stuff missing and everything looks OK until I get to my glove box. The envelope that contains my registration and buyers contract was snatched. Basically everything the dealer gives when you leave with your new car. Thankfully I financed on my own so there were no financial papers missing. But my $200 Oakleys were gone too. So I hop out of the car and the first thing I notice is that my hood was popped. Not completely open, just popped as if all they did was pull the hood release. I look under the hood and everything looks fine. No exposed wires or tampering. Then I look at my door handle. The driver side door handle was $%&#ed up and the lock cylinder was all crushed and bent. The dorr still locks witht he keyless remote but the key no longer works in the door. The handle is still operable but it is a bit loose and has some play in it. Other than that no other damage. I keep telling myself that I am lucky and it could have been a lot worse. Oh yeah, there is also a huge boot print on the driver side door where the punkass kicked it shut. He probably heard us coming and got the heck outta dodge. I searched the surrounding area (armed to the teeth) hoping to find the envelope that he may have dropped but no luck. I filed a police report just to have it on record.

Here is where I need the Mustang Sources help. My car is equipped with the passive alarm and thankully the keys have the chip in them required to start the car. Can the thief take my information he stole to the dealership and get spare keys? Is there a device that thiefs use to bypass the coded key to start the car? Why was the hood popped? Can it be hotwired or was there something else he was trying to do?

Also, I have to have the lock cylinder replaced and possible the door handle. My deductable is $500 so I'm not gonna mess with insurance. How much am I looking at to get that replaced/fixed?

Please, I need your help and valuable information. I feel so violated and upset and mind you, had I caught these SOBs in the act, I might have been typing this from inside a jail cell charged with manslaughter. Watch your cars ladies and gentlemen and make sure you activate the alarm. You never know who could be next.

Thanks. :notnice:
Old 4/22/05, 09:14 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. What amazes me, is that someone had audacity to break into a car at a firing range. Guess they weren't too bright.

The nitwits probably popped the hood thinking they could start it easily, but realized it was too complicated, and made off with what they could. Since they have your registration, they know where you live, so keep your baby under lock and key.
Old 4/22/05, 09:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by SaleenPowr@April 22, 2005, 9:09 AM
Well as the title states, my car got broken into and the bastards almost took off with my baby. Here's the story: I', walking out of my local gun range (with my ak and 96 brig.) and walk up to my car. At first I don't notice anything but when I get in the car, I smack my head on my sun visor, that I didn't leave down, and notice that the passenger's visor is the same. My center console was open as well as my glove compartment. So I sit there wondering WTF then it hits me. My baby was broken into. I immediately start looking for stuff missing and everything looks OK until I get to my glove box. The envelope that contains my registration and buyers contract was snatched. Basically everything the dealer gives when you leave with your new car. Thankfully I financed on my own so there were no financial papers missing. But my $200 Oakleys were gone too. So I hop out of the car and the first thing I notice is that my hood was popped. Not completely open, just popped as if all they did was pull the hood release. I look under the hood and everything looks fine. No exposed wires or tampering. Then I look at my door handle. The driver side door handle was $%&#ed up and the lock cylinder was all crushed and bent. The dorr still locks witht he keyless remote but the key no longer works in the door. The handle is still operable but it is a bit loose and has some play in it. Other than that no other damage. I keep telling myself that I am lucky and it could have been a lot worse. Oh yeah, there is also a huge boot print on the driver side door where the punkass kicked it shut. He probably heard us coming and got the heck outta dodge. I searched the surrounding area (armed to the teeth) hoping to find the envelope that he may have dropped but no luck. I filed a police report just to have it on record.

Here is where I need the Mustang Sources help. My car is equipped with the passive alarm and thankully the keys have the chip in them required to start the car. Can the thief take my information he stole to the dealership and get spare keys? Is there a device that thiefs use to bypass the coded key to start the car? Why was the hood popped? Can it be hotwired or was there something else he was trying to do?

Also, I have to have the lock cylinder replaced and possible the door handle. My deductable is $500 so I'm not gonna mess with insurance. How much am I looking at to get that replaced/fixed?

Please, I need your help and valuable information. I feel so violated and upset and mind you, had I caught these SOBs in the act, I might have been typing this from inside a jail cell charged with manslaughter. Watch your cars ladies and gentlemen and make sure you activate the alarm. You never know who could be next.

Thanks. :notnice:
According my dealer no. Even if they were able to get the key cut you would still have to have the spare and the oringal key to program the chip. So you should be safe. My question is what kind of idiot would try to steal a car at a gun range. Let's see, GUNS, BULLITS, AND A PISSED OFF CAR OWNER = DEAD THIEF. :scratch:
Old 4/22/05, 09:17 AM
GT Member

I was up late last night keeping an eye on my car just in case they were ballsy enough to to try for round two.
Old 4/22/05, 09:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

too bad you didnt catch site of them... maybe it was for the best though... Ive always said that is someone hits my car I would be in handcuffs before I would know what happened! So, I can imagine your grief.

Did you call the police? Was any prints found?

Best of luck getting your car back to normal... but do be careful now that they have your information. Some people are just
Old 4/22/05, 09:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

If they have your registration and paperwork, I would be more concerned with my house and it's contents. They know you were not at at the grocery when they broke into the car. I know we all love our cars but, they can be replaced even though it could take awhile. Some of your collection may not be so easily replaced, not to mention putting the 7.62 into scums hands.
Old 4/22/05, 09:29 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Eleanor Dreaming@April 22, 2005, 10:27 AM
If they have your registration and paperwork, I would be more concerned with my house and it's contents. They know you were not at at the grocery when they broke into the car. I know we all love our cars but, they can be replaced even though it could take awhile. Some of your collection may not be so easily replaced, not to mention putting the 7.62 into scums hands.

I am very worried that they have my info and know where I live. Thankfully I live in a middle until townhouse with only a front door and a back door, no other points of entry. Unless they want to come through my upstairs bedroom window. And even in that case, I would happily introduce them to mister .40 S&W Beretta.

How much am I looking at to replace my lock and door handle?
Old 4/22/05, 09:45 AM
Cobra R Member

They know when you are not home, when you are at the range. If they were punks, then you are ok, if they were pros then I would worry.

Since they did not get your car, I would think that they were just punks. Pros would put it on a lowboy and winch it up and away.
Old 4/22/05, 09:58 AM
Cobra Member

speaking of guns..... the link for the Mustang Racing on the home page goes to Amazon.... they donate 10% of their revenue to Million Mom March to lobby for anti gun legislation.... by the way.

I was at the range on Tuesday... that dirty bastard woulda been starin' down the barrel of a Kimber Custom II... I'm right there with a, bro.... I'd have been shootin' first and asking questions later. that guy sure had some cantilopes..... either that, or S for brains.

Sorry to hear it.
Old 4/22/05, 09:58 AM
Bullitt Member

darn, that stinks!

I would agree that the would-be-thieves were just punks. It takes time to cause that kind of damage that could be better spent actually getting away with the car. :nono: And they were way STUPID to attempt it at a gun range. Can we all say D-E-A-D?!

Back in 1992, I purchased a Dodge Daytona IROC. The first summer I had it, it was broken into while some friends and I were at a club in the warehouse district celebrating a departing member as he left for the US Army . We lost some personal items and my passenger side window and frame were damaged, but the car was still there. As I filed the police report at the scene, a few guys went by in a taxi saying that I was lucky ... their Corvette was stolen. :bang: :bang: :bang:

Here is to hoping is get fixed and fixed right!

EK
Old 4/22/05, 10:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Not sure how much money out of pocket the repairs will cost you but just wanted to say I feel your pain. Two cars of mine were stolen; both of them Legend Coupes (a '91 and a '92). The first one made it back but just wasn't the same ever again and the second one made it back but in totalled condition. Thieving bastards. All car thieves should be shot. Glad they didn't get your's and the damage was minimal.

Maybe invest in an alarm that pages you when your car is being tampered with?
I found this link, not familiar with all the systems so don't know where this one rates but it's a start. MSRP $220, sale $85..

Commando Car Alarm
Old 4/22/05, 10:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

its a darn shame we can't have those car alarms with the flame throwers on them like in Africa. I hope all goes well with fixing your car. I still can't believe they tried that at a shooting range! Morons!
Old 4/22/05, 10:51 AM
GT Member

I would check with my insurance company first, different
types of damage have different deductables. A few years
back my brother had the hub caps stolen off his '88 Mustang,
and I don't think we had to pay a deductable, but I could be
wrong.

Just remember shoot low, I can't imagine anything worse than
being in prison with one bad leg!
Old 4/22/05, 11:15 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a crime of moronic opportunity - not a planned thing. SOrry you had to deal with that....

And yeah that slays me too - at a GUN RANGE.
Shows how NOT smart.....

A hail of 7.62 x 39'd give 'em something to 'think' about.......

I had a 79 Cutlass that got broken into in the front driveway of my house back about 95 or so..... there is NOTHING like that feeling of opening the door and realizing something very BAD has happened..... (they tore my amp/equalizer out from under the dash where I had it mounted..... dang I loved that thing...)

Kept watch for weeks to see if they'd come back... with Mr. Smith and Wesson to keep my company....
Old 4/22/05, 12:34 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the replies guys and gals. I'm just trying to keep a positive attidude about this and be thankful it wasn't worse.
Old 4/22/05, 01:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

were there any security cameras in the parking lot??
Old 4/22/05, 01:31 PM
V6 Member

man that woulda been bad if you cought them and u had guns in your hand lol.....that stinks!!!
Old 4/22/05, 01:39 PM
GT Member

I just got off the phone with the owner of the gun range and she told me they have surveillance cameras all over the parking lot and to come in a examine it sometime tonight or tomorrow. Apparently I'm not the first person that has had this happen to there. They have had multiple problems and they all have been a "****** and grab" job. No cars stolen. The owner had her car broken into and they took her registration and other personal car info as well.
Old 4/22/05, 01:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Thats better news (not sure what "good" news would be in this situation). I hope it works out, and you are able to catch them. I hate theives!!
Old 4/22/05, 02:43 PM
GT Member

Well look on the bright side.

If you had caught them in the car the blood wouldn't show too bad on the red leather seats

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP! Car got broken into last night