General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

passenger airbag light bulb cunnundrum

Old 4/14/17, 12:06 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
passenger airbag light bulb cunnundrum

so when I started getting an airbag warning light in my instrument cluster, I also notice that my 'passenger airbag off' light no longer lit up. Spent some time on the interwebs looking for some help on how it all works.

I don't know for sure, but I tend to believe this explanation:

When something is placed on the front passenger seat that isn't as heavy as an adult, that light comes on because it assumes a child is on the seat and if you have a habit of doing that (which I do) the light bulb will burn out. It has diagnostics that cause the airbag warning to light up if it tries to turn on that burnt out bulb

If anyone can confirm that, please do.

So I went to Covert Ford on 183 in Austin Texas at lunch today. The parts guy told me I had to replace the whole module. I just started laughing. I told him I would do a youtube video of me burning my mustang down before I would buy that module to replace a light bulb.

I asked him if they ever consult others when they don't know the answer. He said he could do a POC and call me.
Old 4/15/17, 09:04 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Get a OBD Scanner that can read the SRS system. It will tell you what is not working or Take it to the dealer. Did you have them replaced yet?
Old 4/17/17, 10:21 AM
GT Member

there is nothing wrong with the airbag, but yes it was recalled/replaced. the problem is an iddy biddy light bulb.

I would take it to the dealer, but they tell me it will be 3 or 4 days before they can look at it. not taking it to the dealer for a burnt out light bulb. hopefully they can get the part and I will pick it up and install it.

I took the lil light out and the airbag light comes on all the time. when I put it back in, the airbag light hasn't returned. maybe it was just loose. but the 'passenger airbag off' light hasn't turned on since all this started which makes me think the bulb still needs to be replaced.

Last edited by mhazelwd; 4/17/17 at 10:28 AM.
Old 4/25/17, 01:19 PM
GT Member

I have been a little wary of posting it is fixed, but here goes. After left the Ford parts department, I plugged that iddy biddy light bulb back in and snapped the box back to my windshield. No more airbag warning and the passenger airbag light works again.

The Ford parts guy called me yesterday and told me that Ford responded to his question and verified that yes, you have to buy the whole module if that light bulb burns out.

That is ridiculous and I consider myself very lucky it started working.

Something else that is ridiculous is that I called two different dealers and both said I would have to leave my car and they would try to get to it by next week. LOL for a light bulb. I guess business is good and lots of folks need service done.

This is the sort of thing that drives me batty. I even considered trading my car in for a Chevy but I couldn't do it and I am happy I got over that dark feeling.
Old 6/6/17, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having the same issue and dealer is no help

I'm having the same or similar issue in my 2015 GT. Dealership looked at it last week and said that it was a loose connection and a few days later, the bag warning light is back on. When does the passenger airbag light suppose to be on? When someone is sitting in the seat or not sitting? Either way, it not on. I figured it may be because the system is malfunctioning at the module and causing the light along with the rest of the system to shut down.
Old 6/6/17, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, nope sitting normal, on their heads might be difficult in a GT. Just haven't ever paid attention to the light coming on and now it stays off all the time. Definitely an outcome of the issue or a cause.

Search this Thread