General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Parking. Parking Straight. Ugh.

Search this Thread

Old 1/17/15, 09:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parking. Parking Straight. Ugh.

I can't even believe I'm gonna put this out here. I used to be a straight parker....you know, evenly between the lines, and straight! One of a small minority in CA who could do so with regularity.

Ever since we bought this Mustang, my parking skills are way off. When I think I am straight, I am reliably crooked to the left. When I think I am crooked to the right, I am actually straight. Must be the hood lines or something.....I'm going to have to go to the parking lot to practice cuz I can't live with parking like a non-native driver (multitudes of specific countries not specified here).

UGH. Anyone else have to re-adjust once you bought your Mustang? Or am I just "off"? haha.
Old 1/17/15, 10:18 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Just a typical woman!
Old 1/17/15, 11:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Just a typical woman!
Ha, you take that back right now! lol.
Old 1/18/15, 12:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by TheTaminator
I can't even believe I'm gonna put this out here. I used to be a straight parker....you know, evenly between the lines, and straight! One of a small minority in CA who could do so with regularity. Ever since we bought this Mustang, my parking skills are way off. When I think I am straight, I am reliably crooked to the left. When I think I am crooked to the right, I am actually straight. Must be the hood lines or something.....I'm going to have to go to the parking lot to practice cuz I can't live with parking like a non-native driver (multitudes of specific countries not specified here). UGH. Anyone else have to re-adjust once you bought your Mustang? Or am I just "off"? haha.
You have backup camera. Back in. What the H?... Lol!
Old 1/18/15, 01:19 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I had that only when I tried to use a back up camera that I put in the trunk key hole , I so dislike backup cameras if I had to rely on one rather than my own perception I'll pack it in.
I don't think it's your fault the dump turds that paint paying lines keep making them narrower is my guess & it's harder to see them with a mustang.
Old 1/22/15, 09:52 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny...my wife is the same with our Mustang. Are you fairly short? (my wife is 5' and I'm 6'2" - a mixed marriage )

Maybe the lack of site-lines compared to other cars you drove is throwing you off? I still find I don't realize how short the back end is compared with my previous car. I feel like I'm right against the car behind me, when in actual fact I have a few feet to go.
Old 1/22/15, 12:08 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i had similar issue for few days when i lowered it.
Old 1/22/15, 12:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
5'9" actually I don't trust what I can't see with my own eyes
Old 1/22/15, 01:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I always roll down the window and see if the car is aligned with the parking lines. The backup camera is actually very useful, it lets you park pin-point accurate (in backwards, of course). But! if you rely too much on gadgets you loose your instinct.
Old 1/22/15, 01:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I run into my garage door all of the time. I drove a '76 Dodge van before this an I am not used to the long hood.

Just kidding. Knowing my luck, karma will run me into my garage door today now.
Old 1/22/15, 11:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Noilly Pratt
Funny...my wife is the same with our Mustang. Are you fairly short? (my wife is 5' and I'm 6'2" - a mixed marriage )

Maybe the lack of site-lines compared to other cars you drove is throwing you off? I still find I don't realize how short the back end is compared with my previous car. I feel like I'm right against the car behind me, when in actual fact I have a few feet to go.
Wow....good to know I am not alone! And yes, I'm a whole whopping 5' 2". I guess that's short! My husband is 6'....has no issues.

I'm going to just have to buck up and feel like I'm parking crooked (now a matter of "how crooked") so I end up straight, lol. How dumb.
Old 1/22/15, 11:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
You have backup camera. Back in. What the H?... Lol!
Thanks for the practical advice! LOL!
Old 1/22/15, 11:35 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
FWIW I have to take my glasses off to pull in the garage.
I have blended lenses distance/computer/reading, and what they don't tell you is there is a fishbowl affect. Takes some getting used to.
But I almost clipped my mirror a couple of times so I learned to take them off pulling in the garage or when parking between cars. And they're no good for shooting with a scope. The crosshairs bend. lol
Old 1/22/15, 11:49 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Originally Posted by cdynaco
FWIW I have to take my glasses off to pull in the garage. I have blended lenses distance/computer/reading, and what they don't tell you is there is a fishbowl affect. Takes some getting used to. But I almost clipped my mirror a couple of times so I learned to take them off pulling in the garage or when parking between cars. And they're no good for shooting with a scope. The crosshairs bend. lol
Old people! :-)
Old 1/22/15, 11:52 PM
Post *****

Old people! :-)
No permanent glasses until 56. Whereas my dad wore glasses since I was born.
So come talk to me if can see to type/thumb when you hit 56.
Old 1/22/15, 11:54 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Originally Posted by cdynaco
No permanent glasses until 56. Whereas my dad wore glasses since I was born. So come talk to me if can see to type/thumb when you hit 56.
The bending scope sites would infuriate me to no end!!!
Old 1/22/15, 11:59 PM
Post *****

The bending scope sites would infuriate me to no end!!!
Yeah I'm going to get a pair of single strength shooting glasses. It's the blended lenses that screw things up. Although technically I barely need distance lenses. Mostly reading and mid for computer.
Old 1/24/15, 10:55 AM

I haven't had a problem
Old 1/24/15, 11:44 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

The first car I drove was a four door '73 Impala and you only had one chance to park it! It either was parked or wrecked into the car next to it! For some reason I could park that boat anywhere with one try! Then my first car was an '80 Horizon and I couldn't park that thing for shyte because it was so small! I could never get that thing centered! :-).
Old 1/24/15, 11:49 AM
Post *****

The first car I drove was a four door '73 Impala and you only had one chance to park it! It either was parked or wrecked into the car next to it! For some reason I could park that boat anywhere with one try! Then my first car was an '80 Horizon and I couldn't park that thing for shyte because it was so small! I could never get that thing centered! :-).
Reminds me of the rancher in Montana. Let his license expire so he had to start over including a driving test. The Officer asks him to make a few manuevers in traffic which he does fine. Then he asks him to parallel park which he does fine.
So as the rancher pulls out from the curb and is heading thru town the officer asks if the rancher can make a U-turn. The rancher replies...

"Nope, but I can sure make her eyes roll in the back of her head."

Quick Reply: Parking. Parking Straight. Ugh.