The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   General Mustang Chat (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f657/)
-   -   Parking. Parking Straight. Ugh. (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f657/parking-parking-straight-ugh-535072/)

TheTaminator 1/17/15 09:08 AM

Parking. Parking Straight. Ugh.

I can't even believe I'm gonna put this out here. I used to be a straight parker....you know, evenly between the lines, and straight! One of a small minority in CA who could do so with regularity.

Ever since we bought this Mustang, my parking skills are way off. When I think I am straight, I am reliably crooked to the left. When I think I am crooked to the right, I am actually straight. Must be the hood lines or something.....I'm going to have to go to the parking lot to practice cuz I can't live with parking like a non-native driver (multitudes of specific countries not specified here).

UGH. Anyone else have to re-adjust once you bought your Mustang? Or am I just "off"? haha.

Mustang Freak 1/17/15 10:18 PM

Just a typical woman! :jester:

TheTaminator 1/17/15 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak (Post 6889229)
Just a typical woman! :jester:

Ha, you take that back right now! lol.

laserred38 1/18/15 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by TheTaminator (Post 6888976)
I can't even believe I'm gonna put this out here. I used to be a straight parker....you know, evenly between the lines, and straight! One of a small minority in CA who could do so with regularity. Ever since we bought this Mustang, my parking skills are way off. When I think I am straight, I am reliably crooked to the left. When I think I am crooked to the right, I am actually straight. Must be the hood lines or something.....I'm going to have to go to the parking lot to practice cuz I can't live with parking like a non-native driver (multitudes of specific countries not specified here). UGH. Anyone else have to re-adjust once you bought your Mustang? Or am I just "off"? haha.

You have backup camera. Back in. What the H?... Lol! :dunno:

GottaHaveIt 1/18/15 01:19 AM

I had that only when I tried to use a back up camera that I put in the trunk key hole , I so dislike backup cameras if I had to rely on one rather than my own perception I'll pack it in.
I don't think it's your fault the dump turds that paint paying lines keep making them narrower is my guess & it's harder to see them with a mustang.

Noilly Pratt 1/22/15 09:52 AM

Funny...my wife is the same with our Mustang. Are you fairly short? (my wife is 5' and I'm 6'2" - a mixed marriage :) )

Maybe the lack of site-lines compared to other cars you drove is throwing you off? I still find I don't realize how short the back end is compared with my previous car. I feel like I'm right against the car behind me, when in actual fact I have a few feet to go.

CiniZter 1/22/15 12:08 PM

i had similar issue for few days when i lowered it.

GottaHaveIt 1/22/15 12:13 PM

5'9" actually I don't trust what I can't see with my own eyes

PonyMuscletang13 1/22/15 01:07 PM

I always roll down the window and see if the car is aligned with the parking lines. The backup camera is actually very useful, it lets you park pin-point accurate (in backwards, of course). But! if you rely too much on gadgets you loose your instinct.

Automatic 5.0 1/22/15 01:23 PM

I run into my garage door all of the time. I drove a '76 Dodge van before this an I am not used to the long hood.

Just kidding. Knowing my luck, karma will run me into my garage door today now.

TheTaminator 1/22/15 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Noilly Pratt (Post 6890832)
Funny...my wife is the same with our Mustang. Are you fairly short? (my wife is 5' and I'm 6'2" - a mixed marriage :) )

Maybe the lack of site-lines compared to other cars you drove is throwing you off? I still find I don't realize how short the back end is compared with my previous car. I feel like I'm right against the car behind me, when in actual fact I have a few feet to go.

Wow....good to know I am not alone! And yes, I'm a whole whopping 5' 2". I guess that's short! My husband is 6'....has no issues.

I'm going to just have to buck up and feel like I'm parking crooked (now a matter of "how crooked") so I end up straight, lol. How dumb.

TheTaminator 1/22/15 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by laserred38 (Post 6889267)
You have backup camera. Back in. What the H?... Lol! :dunno:

Thanks for the practical advice! LOL!

cdynaco 1/22/15 11:35 PM

FWIW I have to take my glasses off to pull in the garage.
I have blended lenses distance/computer/reading, and what they don't tell you is there is a fishbowl affect. Takes some getting used to. :confused:
But I almost clipped my mirror a couple of times so I learned to take them off pulling in the garage or when parking between cars. And they're no good for shooting with a scope. The crosshairs bend. lol :p

Mustang Freak 1/22/15 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by cdynaco (Post 6891190)
FWIW I have to take my glasses off to pull in the garage. I have blended lenses distance/computer/reading, and what they don't tell you is there is a fishbowl affect. Takes some getting used to. :confused: But I almost clipped my mirror a couple of times so I learned to take them off pulling in the garage or when parking between cars. And they're no good for shooting with a scope. The crosshairs bend. lol :p

Old people! :-)

cdynaco 1/22/15 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak (Post 6891204)
Old people! :-)

No permanent glasses until 56. Whereas my dad wore glasses since I was born.
So come talk to me if can see to type/thumb when you hit 56. :heh:

Mustang Freak 1/22/15 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by cdynaco (Post 6891208)
No permanent glasses until 56. Whereas my dad wore glasses since I was born. So come talk to me if can see to type/thumb when you hit 56. :heh:

The bending scope sites would infuriate me to no end!!! :bad:

cdynaco 1/22/15 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak (Post 6891212)
The bending scope sites would infuriate me to no end!!! :bad:

Yeah I'm going to get a pair of single strength shooting glasses. It's the blended lenses that screw things up. Although technically I barely need distance lenses. Mostly reading and mid for computer.

saskatchewanstang07 1/24/15 10:55 AM

I haven't had a problem

Mustang Freak 1/24/15 11:44 AM

The first car I drove was a four door '73 Impala and you only had one chance to park it! It either was parked or wrecked into the car next to it! For some reason I could park that boat anywhere with one try! Then my first car was an '80 Horizon and I couldn't park that thing for shyte because it was so small! I could never get that thing centered! :-). :screwy:

cdynaco 1/24/15 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak (Post 6891769)
The first car I drove was a four door '73 Impala and you only had one chance to park it! It either was parked or wrecked into the car next to it! For some reason I could park that boat anywhere with one try! Then my first car was an '80 Horizon and I couldn't park that thing for shyte because it was so small! I could never get that thing centered! :-). :screwy:

Reminds me of the rancher in Montana. Let his license expire so he had to start over including a driving test. The Officer asks him to make a few manuevers in traffic which he does fine. Then he asks him to parallel park which he does fine.
So as the rancher pulls out from the curb and is heading thru town the officer asks if the rancher can make a U-turn. The rancher replies...

"Nope, but I can sure make her eyes roll in the back of her head."

:grin: