General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Now about grilles......opinions? Mock up pics

Search this Thread

Old 11/24/14, 09:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now about grilles......opinions? Mock up pics

Thanks all for your feedback on the tri bar pony hood stripes....I'm leaving those alone for awhile (I lost!).

We have the Pony Package - so, the grille with the chrome spears and corral. I don't mind this grill, but have never been a fan of honeycomb patterned stuff, which is the bulk of this grille. I still cringe whenever I see the Trans Ams that had honeycomb in the tail lights. Blech.

Anyway - I do like the tri bar pony MCA billet grille. This grill comes in either dark stainless, or black gloss, and if I did get this grille, I would also get the lower grille too. But, alas, that's close to a $400 bill. Also, my only pick on the MCA grille (sort of) is one badge, not centered. Oh, and I have kind of a "thing" for pairs of things. Like pairs of lamps, pairs of pictures, pairs of chairs, etc. 2 is always better than one.... if you are OCD like me, lol.

I did a mock up of the pair of badges on the MCA, and thank you to whoever's Race Red Mustang picture I borrowed out of the Race Red picture thread! Hope you don't mind.

Last - I did a little mock up of the Pony Package grille with some electrical tape. Not quite the right red, and not glossy enough, but I think you can get the picture. I'm guessing Plasti-dip could be my friend.

So - what do you think of two tri bar pony badges on the MCA? (hubs didn't like that either....haha)

What do you think of my red corral vs. chrome corral?

Two Badges / MCA grille:

Original Chrome Pony Package Grille:

Red Corral, 2 pictures - sorry for the over exposure on the first one:

Old 11/25/14, 12:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I'd do the upper and lower CS grilles. They're black bar grilles, then do *one* tribar in the stock offset location. Black Drifts, pony center caps!
Old 11/25/14, 12:22 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not crazy about the OEM Honeycomb grille either it is too much to clean if you have a dusty day. I went with an overlay chrome grille from APS. All it requires is a simple wipe down rather than getting your fingers into each honeycomb.
Amazon.com: APS Polished Chrome Bumper Billet Grille Grill Insert #F66017A: Automotive Amazon.com: APS Polished Chrome Bumper Billet Grille Grill Insert #F66017A: Automotive
or

http://www.sparealife.org/FORD_Billet_Grills.html

Last edited by poldrv; 11/25/14 at 12:31 AM.
Old 11/25/14, 10:21 AM
Bullitt Member

FWIW (which isn't much), I'm not a fan of the dual badges. The red on the corral is a nice touch. I tend to like clean or blacked out grilles, I think it make almost any mustang more sinister.

But pick your battles - if he won on the stripes, that can give you leverage if you really want the grille...or if the grille isn't important to you, you could let him have it and hold out for something bigger.
Old 11/25/14, 05:22 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm a fan of the red corral, it looks different.
Old 11/25/14, 08:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
I'd do the upper and lower CS grilles. They're black bar grilles, then do *one* tribar in the stock offset location. Black Drifts, pony center caps!
Patrick, Patrick.....you are NOT helping my pocketbook out here, haha. I do like the CS gloss black billet grille, but then, that actually would mean new wheels - I'm too much of an OCD matchy matchy type to carry black grilles and/or black striping and then have polished silver wheels. If I get the dark stainless grille, I think I can still hang on to my current OEM wheels and not have it "bug" me like having the black grille with silver rims for awhile. Dang....I need a bigger pot at the end of my rainbow. I thought motorcycles were expensive enough (we have 3 of those), but the car thing has them beat hands down, lol.

Last edited by TheTaminator; 11/25/14 at 08:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11/25/14, 08:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by poldrv
I am not crazy about the OEM Honeycomb grille either it is too much to clean if you have a dusty day. I went with an overlay chrome grille from APS. All it requires is a simple wipe down rather than getting your fingers into each honeycomb. Amazon.com: APS Polished Chrome Bumper Billet Grille Grill Insert #F66017A: Automotive or

http://www.sparealife.org/FORD_Billet_Grills.html
How do these attach? I'm assuming they overlay the stock grille, well the ones without the corral and spears. I wonder if they would be trimmable to cut around those if I kept it? Hmmm...
Old 11/25/14, 08:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by TheTaminator
Patrick, Patrick.....you are NOT helping my pocketbook out here, haha. I do like the CS gloss black billet grille, but then, that actually would mean new wheels - I'm too much of an OCD matchy matchy type to carry black grilles and/or black striping and then have polished silver wheels. If I get the dark stainless grille, I think I can still hang on to my current OEM wheels and not have it "bug" me like having the black grille with silver rims for awhile. Dang....I need a bigger pot at the end of my rainbow. I though motorcycles were expensive enough (we have 3 of those), but the car thing has them beat hands down, lol.
Lol, you caught on quick. Ask Tom about that...I'm the resident enabler around here

I just got black chrome wheels on my car, and now I want to black chrome all the things! I understand. I'm looking to black chrome my emblems and exhaust tips LOL
Old 11/25/14, 08:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ER12883
FWIW (which isn't much), I'm not a fan of the dual badges. The red on the corral is a nice touch. I tend to like clean or blacked out grilles, I think it make almost any mustang more sinister.

But pick your battles - if he won on the stripes, that can give you leverage if you really want the grille...or if the grille isn't important to you, you could let him have it and hold out for something bigger.
Ha, pick my battles! Well, at this point - we had a few of them going on, and I've lost every one of them so far (highly unusual). I'm -1 on chrome door handles, -1 on the real cherry wood dash, -1 on tri bar pony stripes on the hood, -1 on a hood scoop. It isn't that I wanted ALL of them. I kinda got shot down, one thing at a time. LOL. If he doesn't watch out, I'm gonna do these, and the rear faux gas cap and to hell with stripes, scoops, louvers, grilles etc. I actually think they would look great on a plain jane race red car - I'd lose the side stripe, and just do the fender badges, grille pony, and faux gas cap:

http://icy-couture.3dcartstores.com/...als_p_442.html
Old 11/25/14, 08:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Lol, you caught on quick. Ask Tom about that...I'm the resident enabler around here

I just got black chrome wheels on my car, and now I want to black chrome all the things! I understand. I'm looking to black chrome my emblems and exhaust tips LOL
Haha, well, I'm a pretty experience enabler too, but that was on my motorcycle forums, lol. I guess here, I am the enablee instead. You're doing a fine job!

Do you have pictures of your new black chrome wheels? I love black chrome too....I have a friend that black chromed every single bit of her Road King. It is stunning in this understated unboring kind of way.

I did find black chrome wheels on eBay that I really love, but then I just had to close the window or risk divorce, lol. They are here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-ACE-ASPIRE-BLACK-CHROME-CONCAVE-WHEELS-RIMS-FITS-FORD-MUSTANG-SHELBY-GT-/221348658214?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AMustang&hash=item3389687c26&vxp=mtr
Old 11/25/14, 08:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mustangfan410
I'm a fan of the red corral, it looks different.
Yeah, I kind of like it too, just because it is different. That was my solution to not spending $400 on the billet ones, although it doesn't really resolve my dislike of honeycomb, lol.
Old 11/25/14, 08:51 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
+1 on the red corral. Nice compliment to the stripes. The two pony badges is going down the "J.C. Whitney" trail, and that's a road you don't want to go down.
Old 11/25/14, 09:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you decide not to go with the MCA or CS bar grills (only one pony to a customer!) and want to hang on to your cash or use it on a different mod, I'd have to say red corral FTW! It really looks good!
Old 11/25/14, 09:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Haha, well, I'm a pretty experience enabler too, but that was on my motorcycle forums, lol. I guess here, I am the enablee instead. You're doing a fine job! Do you have pictures of your new black chrome wheels? I love black chrome too....I have a friend that black chromed every single bit of her Road King. It is stunning in this understated unboring kind of way. I did find black chrome wheels on eBay that I really love, but then I just had to close the window or risk divorce, lol. They are here: Video Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-ACE-ASPIRE-BLACK-CHROME-CONCAVE-WHEELS-RIMS-FITS-FORD-MUSTANG-SHELBY-GT-/221348658214?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &fits=Model%3AMustang&hash=item3389687c26&vxp=m tr

Less is more when it comes to these cars (until you see my P-51 theme take shape mwhahaha!)
Attached Thumbnails Now about grilles......opinions? Mock up pics-image-2081973370.jpg  
Old 11/25/14, 09:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Attached Thumbnails Now about grilles......opinions? Mock up pics-image-1832580368.jpg  
Old 11/25/14, 10:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Ha, pick my battles! Well, at this point - we had a few of them going on, and I've lost every one of them so far (highly unusual). I'm -1 on chrome door handles, -1 on the real cherry wood dash, -1 on tri bar pony stripes on the hood, -1 on a hood scoop. It isn't that I wanted ALL of them. I kinda got shot down, one thing at a time. LOL. If he doesn't watch out, I'm gonna do these, and the rear faux gas cap and to hell with stripes, scoops, louvers, grilles etc. I actually think they would look great on a plain jane race red car - I'd lose the side stripe, and just do the fender badges, grille pony, and faux gas cap: http://icy-couture.3dcartstores.com/...als_p_442.html
Haha, wow. No. Just no. Something about jewels and muscle cars just clashes.
Old 11/25/14, 11:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Less is more when it comes to these cars (until you see my P-51 theme take shape mwhahaha!)
Patrick, your car is beautiful, I mean bad ***! LOVE the new wheels! Yeah....less is more, but I've never been a less is more person and sometimes it shows, lol. Right now, if I were to just dump $1200 on ONE item, it would be the Cobra R hood. I really don't like the 13/14 hoods...much preferred the 10-12 hoods. Everything else is great though!

Last edited by TheTaminator; 11/25/14 at 11:35 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11/25/14, 11:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mickstang
If you decide not to go with the MCA or CS bar grills (only one pony to a customer!) and want to hang on to your cash or use it on a different mod, I'd have to say red corral FTW! It really looks good!
Mickstang - dang you guys are a tough crowd. One pony only? Shoot. Ok, I promise, I won't do 2 ponies if I get the billet grille....even if it offends my OCD "pairs are better" sensibilities, lol.

I'm kinda surprised too, how well the red spears and corral looked once I stuck that electrical tape on there. Still seriously thinking on that since there's other places to spend $400 at this point. Decisions decisions.
Old 11/25/14, 11:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ER12883
Haha, wow. No. Just no. Something about jewels and muscle cars just clashes.
Dang! If they weren't so expensive I'd get one just "to see" lol. But since they are real Swarovski crystals, they aren't cheap.

Now just think about it for a minute.....I could just crystalize the car, and then build the motor to 425 hp, and NO ONE would expect the little blinged out chick car to do anything but play nice. haha. Fantasies are such a great thing, lol. It's kinda the same thing when I ride up on my Goldwing....and get off of it, and everyone looks cuz I'm only 5'2". LOL
Old 11/25/14, 11:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by junkman9096
+1 on the red corral. Nice compliment to the stripes. The two pony badges is going down the "J.C. Whitney" trail, and that's a road you don't want to go down.
And another one for the corral! Wow, I didn't think that would be so popular as compared to the chrome version. Awww, I never shop J.C. Whitney, not for our cars or the motorcycles. You've sufficiently finished off the two badge idea on the grille. Congrats!

Quick Reply: Now about grilles......opinions? Mock up pics