General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Nitrous in a car

Search this Thread

Old 10/8/05, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, so I work with this guy who won't quit suggesting putting nos in the Cobra I'm buying...I'm sitting there going, no, I want to keep her forever, and I've heard that it shortens the life of an engine...it's like running into a brick wall over and over again... :bang: :bang: :bang:
I think he'd put nos in a f***ing volvo if he got a chance!!!
So yeah, can I have the general concensus about it? I just want to know if I'm right, or if there's at least a portion of the general Ford/Mustang population who agrees with me on this...
Old 10/8/05, 09:10 AM
Cobra Member

I think it depends on a couple of things. First what year Cobra and how much of a shot are you/he talking about. Then How often is it gonna be used? If you use it all the time there will definitely be extra stess on the engine.

I have read about a lot of 03/04 Cobras that use it whenever they are at the track and have no problem. Those engines are very well built and can take a lot of abuse.

My personal take on Nitrous...stay away from it. I have seen a many cars that have had problems with it. Their engine bays did not look very good after. Nitrous is just too unpredictable, for my taste.
Old 10/8/05, 09:56 AM
Bullitt Member

I think he'd put nos in a f***ing volvo if he got a chance!!!
I Have a Volvo!! and i might just do that!
Old 10/8/05, 10:51 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
I've had quite a bit of nitrous experience. The main reason nitrous fails or causes engine damage is due to improper use by the user. If you dont have all of the nessecary safety equipment and you dont have your tune dead on, then bad things happen. I ran nitrous on my car quite a bit and sprayed it often, but Doug904 and myself spent hours getting my tune dead on. Also, i made sure I had a window switch, only spraying between 3400rpm and 6600rpm on my 4v. Rpm's vary for different motors.

I've known guys who have ran it on their 5.0's for years with no problems. Nitrous is a great poweradder, just do all of your research and learn how it works well before you ever purchase anything. Thats how engines get destroyed, lack of knowledge.
Old 10/9/05, 10:27 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
and make sure not to abuse it lol. thats the reason im staying away from it, b/c i know, givien the chance, i'd abuse it.
Old 10/11/05, 07:25 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Scothew@October 8, 2005, 10:54 AM
I've had quite a bit of nitrous experience. The main reason nitrous fails or causes engine damage is due to improper use by the user. If you dont have all of the nessecary safety equipment and you dont have your tune dead on, then bad things happen. I ran nitrous on my car quite a bit and sprayed it often, but Doug904 and myself spent hours getting my tune dead on. Also, i made sure I had a window switch, only spraying between 3400rpm and 6600rpm on my 4v. Rpm's vary for different motors.

I've known guys who have ran it on their 5.0's for years with no problems. Nitrous is a great poweradder, just do all of your research and learn how it works well before you ever purchase anything. Thats how engines get destroyed, lack of knowledge.
Agreed, it is all in the tune. If the fuel mixture goes lean while you are spraying, disaster!! However, a well-tuned nitrous car is super fast and terrific fun. Take a look at what nitrous gurus like Billy Glidden have been able to accomplish with nitrous.