General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

New mustang convertible owner here, Should I be worried about this?

Search this Thread

Old 7/14/12, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New mustang convertible owner here, Should I be worried about this?

I just got a 1994 base model mustang and I have been reading a few horror stories on here about convertible tops being sliced open, So many in fact that im worried its a common thing.

I read that its mainly done for theft purposes but sometimes done out of jealousy.

I live in a relatively safe area but I often park at an apartment complex that isn't quite as good of an area.

Have you ever experienced your convertible top being slashed?
Do you have any tips for preventing this?

As a new convertible owner I would also appreciate any important tips I should know about caring for them.

Thank you so much,
I apologize in advance if this is filed under the wrong category, New to the site and just figuring out how to navigate it.
Old 7/14/12, 11:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

I"ve owned three convertibles over the years. I never locked the doors, nor did I keep anything valuable in the car to encourage theft. Never had anyone do anything to them, and I don't know of anything being stolen either.
Old 7/14/12, 11:27 PM

Good to know!
Old 7/14/12, 11:47 PM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Welcome what's it look like?
Old 7/15/12, 11:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Alyssa, welcome to the forum. I have owned convertibles for years. There is always a chance that someone will cut the top. It's one of those thing that I just won't worry about. The drop top is too much fun to let it bother me. You can always keep comprehensive coverage in you insurance policy. It covers things like this, it's cheap (like 20 bucks a year cheap), and you don't have deductible with this coverage.
Old 7/16/12, 11:23 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've known people that had it happen to them. The only thing you can really do to prevent it is not leave anything visible in the car. Don't worry about it, it's just as easy to break the window or key the car.
Old 7/16/12, 12:59 PM
V6 Member

Throw some pics on here so we can share your enthusiasm!
Old 7/16/12, 11:22 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 2006 is my first 'Vert and about 3 years in, someone punctured my top... Not a rip or slash, but like they just popped the blade in... Enough to have to get a new top... Good news was that I was able to upgrade to the cloth top though, so it wasn't all bad...

You never know if it'll happen, but that's why you have insurance... Just like getting keyed or a tire slashed, it's one of those things that can happen at some point...
Old 7/17/12, 03:54 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to TMS!
Old 7/17/12, 09:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Before I bought my Galaxie, someone sliced the top to get to the (get this) lousy aftermarket 8-track... which didn't even work! in the fifteen years I had it, no one ever cut the top or broke in... but for most of those years, if anyone took anything out they wouldn't have been stealing, they would have been cleaning!
Old 7/18/12, 12:42 PM

Cutting stuff

I'm new here but I know the fear you've got.

I've been driving Jeep TJ's (Wranglers) for years. I only drive the Soft Top jobs so having stuff sliced is always a worry. On those critters it's stupid, I mean all it takes to get into them is to undo some velcro and a zipper!

But people are idiots. The trick is, leave NOTHING in the car in plain site. Zero. Lock it in the trunk (hey, at least you have one) or take it with you. Leaving the doors unlocked means people don't have to cut the top to get in at least.

In the end, there's nothing you can do to prevent some jerk with a razor from cutting your top. It'll either happen or it won't and worrying about it will just reduce the joy you get from the new car. Don't be stupid about where you leave it but don't stress it either.

Put that top down and enjoy!
Old 7/19/12, 08:27 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Juice
I"ve owned three convertibles over the years. I never locked the doors, nor did I keep anything valuable in the car to encourage theft. Never had anyone do anything to them, and I don't know of anything being stolen either.
My '13 Mustang is my 3rd convertible and I basically do the same thing.

I did have a beater 1992 Buick that someone broke the back door window to try to steal...they were unsuccessful thanks to the electronic ignition shutoff. They did steal the stock paper speaker from the front door...prolly worth a whopping $5!
Old 7/21/12, 05:12 PM

I understand how you feel I am on my second vert and the last one I had someone back out wrong and mess up my bumper. I think about people messing with my top all the time. I park in a garage for work and class, I double park my new vert. Like he said let the insurance cover it. Enjoy it cause once you go vert its very hard to go back to solid top