General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

New Mustang Campaign Builds Anticipation for European Rollout

Search this Thread

Old 5/27/14, 02:01 PM
TMS Staff

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
New Mustang Campaign Builds Anticipation for European Rollout

There’s no doubt the new Mustang is one of the most highly anticipated cars in years for the U.S. market. Yet, its debut in Europe might rank higher considering it’s the first time the pony car will be sold in that market directly by Ford.

A new ad for the 2015 Mustang, called "The Road Awaits,” paints a pretty good picture of how monumental the car’s debut is in Europe.

In fact, to pull off the campaign, some of the continent's biggest landmarks had to be closed off including the Coliseum in Rome, Regent Street in London and the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin.

Read more on The Mustang Source blog.
Old 5/27/14, 03:02 PM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,014 Likes on 630 Posts
I imagine there will be a real strong market for the eco-friendly versions. I'm afraid the 8 cylinder cars will not be greeted well by the enviro-**** segment which loves to vandalize cars 'not to their green standards'.

Last edited by NC14GT; 5/27/14 at 03:04 PM.
Old 5/27/14, 05:41 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,678 Posts
Nice commercial thanks for posting!!!
Old 5/28/14, 02:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member Eu Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
I imagine there will be a real strong market for the eco-friendly versions. I'm afraid the 8 cylinder cars will not be greeted well by the enviro-**** segment which loves to vandalize cars 'not to their green standards'.
Depends on the country. In the Netherlands I'm pretty sure you'd have to be filthy rich to be able to own a V8 2015.

The CO2 emission tax on that one will probably drive the price through the roof. We calculated it once for the 2011-2013 models. Turns out the car goes for about 2.5 times whet it'd cost in the US. Add to that the price of gas, and I imagine the V8 (as much fun as it might be to drive) is NOT going to be a popular car here.

The EcoBoost is a lot more likely to sell here, but even then I'm not really sure how big the market is going to be for them.

Germany taxes cars based on displacement of the engine of what I know. So it's probably not going to be all that popular there, tho the purchase price will be substantially lower then it would be in the Netherlands.

And before you all ask: If you're a dutch citizen, you are REQUIRED to drive around with dutch licenseplates. And to get one of those, you have to pay taxes (which includes the above stated CO2 tax - In essence, buying a car in Germany, and then pulling it over to the Netherlands is probably going to make it a tad more expensive then buying it locally).

Oh, and driving around with a licenseplate that is not equal to your nationality is permitted... unless you're in your own country. If they catch you driving a German car in the Netherlands, and you are dutch, you can pay the taxes required on that car on the spot.

How is that for one Europe... HAH!

Back to the commercial: I like it. Subtle, and it builds anticipation. Looking forward to seeing the Mustang appearing in the showrooms.
Old 5/28/14, 06:00 AM

Thanks for the post Neko. That doesn't surprise me one bit.
The CO2 emission tax would be just a dream for some of the the US Dems in DC. The gas guzzler tax we have is bad enough.

Last edited by NC14GT; 5/28/14 at 06:02 AM.
Old 5/28/14, 11:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member Eu Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Just looked my old post up, which calculated it for a 2011 GT. Price back then for the GT was $42.368.

By the time I get it here, and prepped for the road, it'd cost me $61.849.

THEN we get the taxes, which once payed yield me a licenseplate. BPM tax adds $16.947, and the CO2 emission tax came to $33.606, which brought the total for the car to $112.402. So if I don't pay the taxes, I don't get a licenseplate, and the car cannot be driven.

CO2 tax however was lower then, and has increased over the years up to 2013, when it was leveled off. So a 2013 or 2014 GT would fetch a $74.915 CO2 tax. Which would make the car $153.710.

I won't bore you with how that number was added up, but if anyone is interested, let me know.

So the above tells you that unless CO2 emissions have seriously gone down on the V8 in the 2015 model (which I doubt, atleast not THAT much), the V8 will not be a cheap car, and thus pretty unpopular car here. Unless you're rich. In which case you probably prefer a more high end car, instead of the cheaper looking Mustang.

And I haven't even touched the gas prices ($9 to $9.5 per gallon, of which some 60% is taxes). So yeah, I expect the EcoBoost to be the prime selling car here.

Last edited by Neko-; 5/28/14 at 11:18 AM.
Old 5/28/14, 02:34 PM

Amazing! I had no idea that the CO2 emission tax would be so high. I figured maybe a few grand but not tens of thousands. Again, thanks for the information. We take too many things for granted here in the US. I feel bad for the V8 car lovers in Europe. It shouldn't just be for the wealthy. I guess if I lived over there my garage would have all 4 cylinder cars, maybe a VW or Fiat or two.