General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

New Leak!! Look

Search this Thread

Old 4/17/11 | 12:43 PM

New Leak!! Look

I posted a new album:

https://themustangsource.com/members...nyone-got-one/

If the link does not work it is called "new leak" in my albums.

OK. So I had a tremendous leak under the SJB. It took days to dry out the car. Then I seam sealed the living carp out of the cowl seam and grommets.

Last night it rained. In the AM I find a puddle on the floor. But the towel I put under the SJB is dry (keep fingers crossed)...hmmm.

So I see that this wetness unlike the previous wetness I was chasing is coming in from the tranny side of the pass. toeboard behind the heat/ac and leaking all the way back. (nose of car is parked up slope)

Has anyone had any experience with this leak, know where it comes from?

I am going to try sealing that lip under the wiper mech...don't know how, would rather not take off the wiper mech...just in case that is leaking.
Also....I had some leakage on the driver side previously that I thought was the cowl but I noticed that the underpad was wetter towards the tranny side and the wetness went higher up on that side. So this leak probably got the driver's side wet.

So, anyone have experience with this leak?
Old 4/17/11 | 01:28 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Did you seal all the grommets, even the ones on the drivers side? I can't tell what location your pictures are.
Old 4/17/11 | 04:14 PM

did I seal all the grommets?

Originally Posted by NJ3
Did you seal all the grommets, even the ones on the drivers side? I can't tell what location your pictures are.
Yes every gd one of them was removed washed in hot soapy water, blown dry. Then the cowl was wiped down with lacquer thinner to remove any grease. Then I sealed every gd one of them with 3M seam sealer, the expensive stuff my auto body friend swears by. Then I sealed the seam just as the TSB suggested.

AND THEN.... the next day I sealed all that again to make sure there was not even a minuscule gap.

Now this was hell but if I stopped that nasty leak under the SJB it was worth it. This AM after a rain the kick panel was dry but you see the water from the other side in the pics.

Thanks for you help.

But this leak in the center...I just don't know. I don't see any logical candidates under the hood where it could be coming from. Out of desperation this aftrnoon I sealed the top of a little hump under the wiper mech in the center.

Last edited by murry; 4/17/11 at 04:16 PM. Reason: forgot to thank
Old 4/17/11 | 04:23 PM

This picture is looking down at the floor on the pass. side next to the transmission tunnel. The wire is on the toeboard.

you can see the edge of the padding is wet (dark) and the very tip is very dark. The padding "wicks" moisture and water will run to the low point of the padding.

I had to remove the lower half of the padding, it was starting to crumble a bit and if I didn't get it out I was never going to get the car dry.

Last edited by murry; 4/17/11 at 04:25 PM. Reason: add
Old 4/17/11 | 04:30 PM
Cobra Member

Just a thought...but the outside cowl (passenger side) houses the cabin filter (if you car has one). I seem to recall, when I had my '07, people were having leaking problems with that area of the cowl, possibly to do with a drain hole being plugged. Water was backing up into the filter housing and running into the car interior.

I will run some searches and see what I can dig up. It's been a while...
Old 4/17/11 | 04:35 PM

Grommets sealed. Pinch weld sealed, rub sealer into gap then leave a lip as suggested in TSB. Did em all
Old 4/17/11 | 04:41 PM

thanks,

But those drains are clear and always have been. When water backs up into the heater you get water coming out of the heater.

The gromets are TSB one of the suggested paths to the kick panel leak. Check out my album "leak in Murry's Mustang GT" for a horrible example of the dreaded kick panel leak.
Old 4/17/11 | 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by NJ3

NJ3, if you go to the album when you click on a pic you can scroll down 1/2 page and see the captions I put with the pic.
Old 4/17/11 | 04:49 PM
Cobra Member

Ok..Well, it looks like you did everything I have read in the various threads on this; however, I did a search back to 2007, and found this posted by "mail906" on 3/27/07. It may have an area or areas you have not found yet. I hope this is helpful. Best of luck...

"I went to the dealer to to check up on my car. A SURPRISE to fine the car outside ( still in pieces ) with the hood up. I walked over to the car and saw a stack of papers sitting on the plenum cover of the motor. I picked up the papers and started reading a form of a tsb direct from ford! From what i gathered there are 4 entry points on the 2005+ mustangs that water could enter the cabin on the passenger side of the vehicle. Just as i was getting to the end of the papers ( mind you i was reading as fast as i could) the mechanic approaches me and asked if i was the owner. We started talking and he told me he has definately found one area where the water is entering the car and possibly 3 other locations! By this time the service rep approaches with camera in hand and started taking pictures of just about everything. To make a long story as short as possible i will try to break down what i read and what the mechanic told me.
1st entry point........the seam where the front windshield frame meets the fire wall. He physically showed me where the seams have seperated and that he started putting seam sealer on part of the broken area. This is where he feels the majority of the water is coming in at. He said that the front passenger side and driver side are two seperate compartments so apparently the weld is only failing on the passenger side of the car ( two seperate robot arms possibly?????? ) He said he sprayed directly into the broken seams and saw water gushing in the car!
2nd entry point.......
You must take off the passenger side fender lining (that black plastic piece protecting the motor from debris coming off the tires). You will then find a gromit that (at least on my car) was no where a tight fit, that allows power cords from the battery and other parts of the enging to enter into the cabin and attach to the junction box located behind the kick panel. From what i gathered from the mechanic. The failed seam at the firewall and this gromit somehow come together and build water just behind the gromit.
3rd entry point......
Behind the gromit listed above...there is a second gromit.......you could almost say there are two gromits in one location one on the engine side and one on the cabin side. Both gromits on my car are very loose fitting and really need to be seated and sealed again.
4th and last entrypoint ........ Bad window seal (which i tend to believe is NOT the problem) which runs down the cabin side of the fire wall and runs along the dash board attachment lip and drains over near the kick panel.

Believe it or not i fell relieved that i am seeing some progress and the fact that i know they have contacted ford direct and that ford sent them color photos of possible areas where the leak may be intering the cabin. I asked the mechanic if i was the only one with this problem so far and he shook his head No and said 'there are too many like this!' ... "
Old 4/17/11 | 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
Ok..Well, it looks like you did everything I have read in the various threads on this; however, I did a search back to 2007, and found this posted by "mail906" on 3/27/07. It may have an area or areas you have not found yet. I hope this is helpful. Best of luck...

"I went to the dealer to to check up on my car. A SURPRISE to fine the car outside ( still in pieces ) with the hood up. I walked over to the car and saw a stack of papers sitting on the plenum cover of the motor. I picked up the papers and started reading a form of a tsb direct from ford! From what i gathered there are 4 entry points on the 2005+ mustangs that water could enter the cabin on the passenger side of the vehicle. Just as i was getting to the end of the papers ( mind you i was reading as fast as i could) the mechanic approaches me and asked if i was the owner. We started talking and he told me he has definately found one area where the water is entering the car and possibly 3 other locations! By this time the service rep approaches with camera in hand and started taking pictures of just about everything. To make a long story as short as possible i will try to break down what i read and what the mechanic told me.
1st entry point........the seam where the front windshield frame meets the fire wall. He physically showed me where the seams have seperated and that he started putting seam sealer on part of the broken area. This is where he feels the majority of the water is coming in at. He said that the front passenger side and driver side are two seperate compartments so apparently the weld is only failing on the passenger side of the car ( two seperate robot arms possibly?????? ) He said he sprayed directly into the broken seams and saw water gushing in the car!
2nd entry point.......
You must take off the passenger side fender lining (that black plastic piece protecting the motor from debris coming off the tires). You will then find a gromit that (at least on my car) was no where a tight fit, that allows power cords from the battery and other parts of the enging to enter into the cabin and attach to the junction box located behind the kick panel. From what i gathered from the mechanic. The failed seam at the firewall and this gromit somehow come together and build water just behind the gromit.
3rd entry point......
Behind the gromit listed above...there is a second gromit.......you could almost say there are two gromits in one location one on the engine side and one on the cabin side. Both gromits on my car are very loose fitting and really need to be seated and sealed again.
4th and last entrypoint ........ Bad window seal (which i tend to believe is NOT the problem) which runs down the cabin side of the fire wall and runs along the dash board attachment lip and drains over near the kick panel.

Believe it or not i fell relieved that i am seeing some progress and the fact that i know they have contacted ford direct and that ford sent them color photos of possible areas where the leak may be intering the cabin. I asked the mechanic if i was the only one with this problem so far and he shook his head No and said 'there are too many like this!' ... "
thanks SD,

I have not taken out the fender well to check the grommet. But, the inner grommet I have poked around several time and there is no evidence of water coming in there. The surrounding mat is dry...it's not something you would miss; we are talking enough water to have left puddles a couple of times.

I would look at the window seal except, the window seal causes a leak at the kick panel/SJB. With my cowl sealing...knock wood...after last nights heavy rain there was no leak at the kick panel.

The seam on the corner of the windshield....I have sealed the curved seam as per TSB. Now if there is another seam I cannot see one. There were two pieces metal that come together rising vertically next to the hood hinge. I sealed these also. They had some sealer on them...I made sure they had plenty.

when 906 says "seam" he can't possibly mean a welded seam has separated. Even ford wouldn't fix something like that with goop.

And lastly, my leak is too high to be the harness grommets. I followed the dampness all the way up to the top of the H/AC box at the firewall.

I have now finished reading all the leak threads I can find and I don't see where anyone had a leak like this.

too bad it's out of warranty...for once when they said.." no one else ever complained about this..." they would be telling the truth.

OH, and one more thing. All this leaking happened when the car was parked, not moving.

I made several complaints during the warranty about dampness and leaking. They always patted the carpet and said, oh no, it's perfectly dry in here. No telling how long it's been leaking before it got to the point that there was so much water it rose up above the carpet so it could be noticed.

that's what really pixxes me off. They could have done a real search and fixed this for me.

Am I lucky.
Old 4/17/11 | 06:41 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

I'm starting to suspect your windshield seal is leaking. Has your winshield ever been replaced?
Your next step should be to tape the vents in the trunk according to the TSB. Start the AC fan on high, close the doors, windows, trunk and spray soapy water all over. Open the cowl so you can spray all around the windshield and all the grommets. You should see lots of bubbles around the leak.

Last edited by NJ3; 4/17/11 at 06:42 PM.
Old 4/18/11 | 10:04 AM

windshield

Originally Posted by NJ3
I'm starting to suspect your windshield seal is leaking. Has your winshield ever been replaced?
Your next step should be to tape the vents in the trunk according to the TSB. Start the AC fan on high, close the doors, windows, trunk and spray soapy water all over. Open the cowl so you can spray all around the windshield and all the grommets. You should see lots of bubbles around the leak.

good idea. the thought did cross my mind. Last night we had a small amount of rain and I got no new wetness at pass. kick panel, pass. and driver transmission hump.

However, I decided to explore further on the carpet driver side, what the heck. so I pulled the drivers seat, belt anchor and trim and peeled back the carpet. Found more dampness which I believe is from long term driver side, transmission tunnel leak. The pads were wet enough to leak when lifted but at least there was not a 1/2 inch puddle of standing water.

I told those ba*tards there was water in the car, I could smell it and sense it plus, there was fogging. I used to park the car in the sun and open the windows for the dampness. Then I stopped driving it in the rain. Now I know this is a long term problem because pulling all this stuff out of the car I can see little flecks of rust on various brackets and things.

Anyway, there is a good glass guy close by, and I was thinking of just rolling in and having him reseal the windshield, it's not that expensive. Do I want to spend that and save myself the work of the leak test? Thinking.

PS: no, the windshield has never been replaced.

PPS: Do you see the pic of the grommets? Take a look at the windshield edge...see what looks like white spots? Is that where the sealer goes? Are those voids? Or is the goopy stuff further in from the edge than that?

Last edited by murry; 4/18/11 at 10:09 AM. Reason: PPS
Old 4/18/11 | 12:26 PM

Pressurizing car

You know,

I just pulled out the trunk carpet and pulled away the wheel carpet. I can't find *any* vent holes to plug. I do see four metal plates on either side of the differential housing hump but they are sealed with seam sealer.

I checked both the old TSB and the newer one. Neither has a pic of these things. All they say "lower rear corners of trunk rear of wheel wells" Are they underneath the plastic trim at the trunk lip?

Has anyone personally tried this? Did it work? Sounds sketchy and it looks like a PIA, I can see myself breaking or losing those plastic trim pins.

thanks.
Old 4/18/11 | 12:55 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by murry
You know,

I just pulled out the trunk carpet and pulled away the wheel carpet. I can't find *any* vent holes to plug. I do see four metal plates on either side of the differential housing hump but they are sealed with seam sealer.

I checked both the old TSB and the newer one. Neither has a pic of these things. All they say "lower rear corners of trunk rear of wheel wells" Are they underneath the plastic trim at the trunk lip?

Has anyone personally tried this? Did it work? Sounds sketchy and it looks like a PIA, I can see myself breaking or losing those plastic trim pins.

thanks.
I did it and found all but one small leak that I told you about. You must remove the molded carpet trim pieces along the inside of the trunk. The vents are kinda low in the quarter panel area and are black plastic and rectangular with a rubber flap in them. (One on the drivers side and one on the passengers side.)
I wouldn't pay anyone to seal the windshield if it's not the problem, you could end up with a broken windshield.

Last edited by NJ3; 4/18/11 at 12:56 PM.
Old 4/18/11 | 07:21 PM

rain is coming

Originally Posted by NJ3
I did it and found all but one small leak that I told you about. You must remove the molded carpet trim pieces along the inside of the trunk. The vents are kinda low in the quarter panel area and are black plastic and rectangular with a rubber flap in them. (One on the drivers side and one on the passengers side.)
I wouldn't pay anyone to seal the windshield if it's not the problem, you could end up with a broken windshield.

ahh, I saw those I thought it was the back of the side marker lights...way down in the well, right?

Everything is on hold now as Mother Nature is about to give me a 48 hour "progress test"
Old 4/18/11 | 07:25 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

ahh, I saw those I thought it was the back of the side marker lights...way down in the well, right?

Everything is on hold now as Mother Nature is about to give me a 48 hour "progress test"
They are down there, I used clear packaging tape on mine btw. It stuck good but came off easy when I was done. Good luck.
Old 4/18/11 | 07:28 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

PPS: Do you see the pic of the grommets? Take a look at the windshield edge...see what looks like white spots? Is that where the sealer goes? Are those voids? Or is the goopy stuff further in from the edge than that?
From what I can see it looks like you have saeler in the right places.
Old 4/20/11 | 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by NJ3
From what I can see it looks like you have saeler in the right places.

ha ha. no I mean are those clear or white spots under the glass indicative of sealer skips in the windshield sealant as installed by factory.
Old 4/22/11 | 01:15 PM

TSB pressure test

New Album:

https://themustangsource.com/members...e-bubble-test/

I performed the pressure test per TSB on the Mustang. Here's a bunch of pics of my pressure test results. I got no bubbles at the cowl, pinch weld, grommets, door gaskets or windshield surround. The mirrors were a different story.

Very annoying. When I took this car in several times for dampness under warranty I said they should check the mirror gaskets. Their attitude was shut up and make the payments, the "certified techs" will handle your warranty claims.

I do not believe these leaks are what wet the floor. I think these leaks are what causes puddles on the threshold on the *inside* of the car, on the wrong side of the door gasket. Then when you open the door water...or ice pours out onto the ground, or your foot. Note the water does *not* come out of the drain holes in the bottom of the door, that would be normal.
Attached Thumbnails New Leak!! Look-p1040699-small-.jpg  

Last edited by murry; 4/22/11 at 01:18 PM.
Old 5/1/11 | 10:33 AM

this is were the water is coming in on mine. passenger side. look familiar to anyone? if so were does it come from?
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: New Leak!! Look