General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

New to the group

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/22, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the group

New to the group and new to Mustangs! Have a 2021 2.3L High Performance convertible and am looking for expert opinions on cold air intakes. Have always used K&N in previous cars. Any thoughts from the experts out there?
Old 5/8/22, 09:31 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
Don't quite know about being an expert lol. but I can provide some thoughts thru personal experience.. Most of the power gains are upgrading from the stock tune to performance aftermarket tunes, followed by upgrading to cold air intakes which offer larger diameter MAF housings that increase the amount of airflow over the stock inlet and stock airbox. However, you may find some improvement with a non-tuned BBK or K&N intake, but if your expecting to experience noticeable performance improvements over stock, I would highly recommend looking into getting a hand-held tuning device along with a cold air intake from Steeda Autosports, Roush Performance or CJ Pony Parts.. In the meantime, hope this provides some useful info and if you get a chance, perhaps you wouldn't mind sharing some images of your "21" EcoBoost Mustang, as we all would be very interested in seeing some pics of your ride.. With that said, welcome aboard .

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 5/9/22 at 02:11 PM.
Old 5/9/22, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Don't quite know about being an expert lol. but I can provide some thoughts thru personal experience.. Most of the power gains are upgrading from the stock tune to performance aftermarket tunes, followed by upgrading to cold air intakes which offer larger diameter MAF housings that increase the amount of airflow over the stock inlet and stock airbox. However, you may find some improvement with a non-tuned BBK or K&N intake, but if your expecting to experience noticeable performance improvements over stock, I would highly recommend looking into getting a hand-hand tuning device along with a cold air intake from Steeda Autosports, Roush Performance or CJ Pony Parts.. In the meantime, hope this provides some useful info and if you get a chance, perhaps you wouldn't mind sharing some images of your "21" EcoBoost Mustang, as we all would be very interested in seeing some pics of your ride.. With that said, welcome aboard .
Thanks! I have never tuned a car...but have added the K&N systems. Honestly, that 2.3 High Perf has plenty more HP than my 94 Camaro Z28 with 5.7 L ever did!
Old 5/9/22, 11:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
If you are looking to save a few bucks on replacing air fliter elements K&N is the brand I use. If you are looking for more power and better shifts Go with Berts suggestion on getting a tuner. Plug it in click a few clicks and bingo. Crisper shifts and a little more bost. 1 = Stand alone tuner. 2 = Tuner and intake but I bet you wont see much gains over just getting a tuner and tunes. Have you looked into different pulleys?
https://www.lethalperformance.com/gr...yABEgISg_D_BwE
Old 5/9/22, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by XHueydriver
Thanks! I have never tuned a car...but have added the K&N systems. Honestly, that 2.3 High Perf has plenty more HP than my 94 Camaro Z28 with 5.7 L ever did!
The hand-held tuning device uploads the tuning files into you vehicle's ECM thru the OBDII port, so no worries there.

Originally Posted by Glenn
If you are looking to save a few bucks on replacing air fliter elements K&N is the brand I use. If you are looking for more power and better shifts Go with Berts suggestion on getting a tuner. Plug it in click a few clicks and bingo. Crisper shifts and a little more bost. 1 = Stand alone tuner. 2 = Tuner and intake but I bet you wont see much gains over just getting a tuner and tunes. Have you looked into different pulleys?
https://www.lethalperformance.com/gr...yABEgISg_D_BwE
Actually, it was my suggestion to the OP on getting a hand-held tuner, not Bert's lol.
Old 5/10/22, 06:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
The hand-held tuning device uploads the tuning files into you vehicle's ECM thru the OBDII port, so no worries there.

Actually, it was my suggestion to the OP on getting a hand-held tuner, not Bert's lol.
sorry aboot that you guys look so much alike!
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (5/10/22)
Old 5/10/22, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn
sorry aboot that you guys look so much alike!
I'll definitely take that as a compliment Glenn, so it's all good