General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Need advice from you electronic gurus

Search this Thread

Old 7/26/17, 05:30 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Need advice from you electronic gurus

I'm not a gadget guy and have no desire or need for an i-Phone. The only Apple product I own is an older gen Nano for music. I use a new but old-school flip phone for emergencies. Both are compatible in my 2014 GT Premium which does not have a tech package.

I plan on getting a 2018 GT convertible. Tech-wise, Both the standard 400A and the optional 401A include Sync 3, with the 401A adding navigation. Unless I mis-read, Sync 3 would be useless to me in either package since it appears that it only works with a smart phone.

I prefer the cosmetics of the 401A and since it comes with navigation I could probably embrace that technology as long as it doesn't require me to upgrade to an i-Phone.

Questions:

1) So then...does the navigation feature also require an i-Phone? If so I can't justify a $2200 package just to have unique stitching on the seats.

2) If I stay with the standard 400A w/Sync 3, can I still use my Nano and flip phone (it has Bluetooth)?

Thanks in advance
Old 7/26/17, 11:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts
I'm sure the SYNC 3 system will work with a "android" phone my friend. Like you, and me not everyone owns an Apple I-Phone. I don't need one, and really don't want one myself. To make sure you could call the SYNC people, and get the real info you need before buying.

Also, if I were ordering an '18 vert I would get the 401A package. If for nothing else the cross traffic, and blind spot sensors. I wish they would have been available when we ordered our '13 Convertible. Them there verts do have some blind spots ya know.

Last edited by wanted33; 7/28/17 at 11:12 AM.
Old 7/27/17, 05:58 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,678 Likes on 1,199 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
Questions:

1) So then...does the navigation feature also require an i-Phone? If so I can't justify a $2200 package just to have unique stitching on the seats.

2) If I stay with the standard 400A w/Sync 3, can I still use my Nano and flip phone (it has Bluetooth)?
Thanks in advance
Hey Tom!

To answer question one, I don't think you will require an iPhone to run the navigation on the Mustang.
To question number 2, If your nano or flip phone has wireless capabilities, I would "assume" it would connect via bluetooth.

Do you have a specific color picked out for the 2018 yet?
Old 7/28/17, 09:06 AM
FR500 Member

Thanks for the info Tony. When it comes to embracing certain technologies like smart phones, I'm not far removed from being Amish.

I've got a ton of research to do on the '18 now that specs and pricing info has been released. While there is a base and premium GT coupe for '18, the convertible is premium only. As such, the 'basic' premium convertible is standard with the 400A interior which is leather and some funky electronics package which I've yet to comprehend. The gauges are analog. But the 401A package adds upgraded leather, colored stitching, digital displays and navigation to the interior. I'm torn....I like the upgraded interior but prefer analog displays. Can't have both. Plus the 401A package adds $2200 MSRP. If I had my druthers I'd have no electronics except for Blue Tooth like on my 2014. Need to think this through. I gotta accept that I'm 65 in a much younger person's world.

I'm interested in either Royal Crimson or Kona Blue, both with the Black Accent Package and active exhaust option. I'm in no rush to be first on line at the dealer....I want to see both colors in person and am willing to wait.
Attached Thumbnails Need advice from you electronic gurus-rc-configure4.jpg   Need advice from you electronic gurus-kb-confure4.jpg   Need advice from you electronic gurus-rc-configure2.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 7/29/17, 09:02 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Hi Tom, I am in the same camp as you, considering a '17 or '18 soon. You will never 'require'an apple product to run your nav. And I myself use bluetooth audio option 100% of the time for music, making and receiving calls etc.
Old 7/29/17, 09:37 AM
FR500 Member

Hi Darren....long time, no talk.

I'm slowly learning about all this electronic trickery and witchcraft and frankly I really don't want or need all this stuff. I'm just not willing to embrace a technology that is of no benefit to me. All I really require is an USB port for my i-Pod Nano which is used exclusively for music, and Bluetooth for my old-tech flip phone. Calls come in, calls go out. Simple.

One of the things I appreciate about my 2014 is that the dash is unencumbered by a large distracting touch screen. But if I want an '18, I've got to deal with it since Sync3 is standard on all trim levels of the GT Premium.

The upgraded interior in the 401A package also forces navigation on you....one more thing to confuse me, and pay an additional $2200 for the privilege of additional white trim stitching.

If I want to upgrade the interior, an option would be the Carbon Interior Sport Package which includes Alcantara inserts in the leather. I can justify that for an additional $1100.

In case you haven't seen it yet, here's the 2018 Mustang configurator:

http://shop.ford.com/build/mustang//...=true#/select/
Old 7/29/17, 01:05 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I have a 2014 with the navigation and the 401A I believe upgraded interior. I like the look of the dash with the Nav unit. The Nav really requires XM/ Serious to make use of a lot of the features. Traffic and such. But in No way do I have to use my smart phone. It was a very expensive to have the larger display. LOL
Old 7/29/17, 01:35 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
I have a 2014 with the navigation and the 401A I believe upgraded interior.
The 401A from 2010-2014 had different door inserts and unique dash applique. But the most notable upgrade were the Cashmere or Grabber Blue seat stripes...arguably the best looking interiors in the S197.