Washington DC and day trips - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

General Mustang Chat Not Tech or Model Year Specific

Washington DC and day trips

Old 7/23/17, 05:26 PM   #1
Bullitt Member

Washington DC and day trips

I'm considering a week in DC during early October. My wife hates museums with the heat of a 1000 suns, whereas I love them. I can get most anywhere I want museum-wise on the Metro. Not even thinking of driving into DC. So, I'm considering day trips from the Alexandria, VA area with a rental Mustang (naturally). One looks doable, along Skyline Drive from Front Royal to I-64 and back to Alexandria. Is that a reasonable one day drive without completely flogging myself? Where else should I look for scenery, etc?
junkman9096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join The Mustang Source

Join TheMustangSource.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Mustang fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Mustang Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your stang, and have a great time with other Ford Mustang fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Mustang you'll find that TheMustangSource.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TheMustangSource.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Old 7/23/17, 09:00 PM   #2
Shelby GT350 Member

early October should be good for skyline drive. there should be done leaves still on the trees (but check the Webcam's on their website). That's not unreasonable driving wise as long as you don't hit traffic. Maybe 1- 1 1/2 hours to get there. Figure $25 to enter the park and anywhere from 2-4 hours to drive it depending on how much you stop, and how fast you go (watch for cops, BTW). Probably a good idea to pack a lunch because aside from picnic areas theres nowhere to eat. Probably 2 1/2 hours to get back to Alexandria from the southern end.

if you're into that sort of thing, there Luray Caverns towards the end of skyline, maybe about 45 min out of the way

Last edited by Cavero; 7/23/17 at 09:06 PM.
Cavero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7/23/17, 09:02 PM   #3
Shelby GT350 Member

You can also check out Great Falls for scenery.
Old 7/24/17, 07:22 AM   #4

If you've never been to Gettysburg, you can be there in about 1 1/2 hrs from Alexandria (depending on traffic). They have auto tours on CD that you can purchase for around $20 (I believe) and you can drive at your own pace and don't even have to get out of the car if you don't want to.

Harper's Ferry WV also about 1 1/2 hrs from Alexandria and is pretty that time of year.

Annapolis in probably under an hour.

I would also warn you to watch your speeds in VA. I think they consider 20 mph over the speed limit as reckless driving.
08GTCandyApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/24/17, 05:02 PM   #5
Shelby GT350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08GTCandyApple View Post
I would also warn you to watch your speeds in VA. I think they consider 20 mph over the speed limit as reckless driving.
That's affirmative, got close a couple times myself
Old 8/3/17, 05:50 AM   #6

All great ideas and a great time to visit the area! RE skyline drive, if you go on a weekend be ready for traffic. I hear ya about the museums, but if you can talk your wife into it you may want to visit the Udvar-Hazy Air & Space...Museum.

https://airandspace.si.edu/udvar-hazy-center

Lastly, I too can confirm that in VA 20 over or 80+ is considered wreckless.
S8MS is offline   Reply With Quote