General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Are Mustang people unfriendly?

Search this Thread

Old 5/21/05, 11:16 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't usually wave at people but I do wave back and chat a bit if someone else initiates it... but thats true of me when I'm not driving my car too. I have a red '66 so whenever I wash and wax it I get a ton of compliments. =/ too bad my sister took it today.
Old 5/21/05, 03:15 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think we can group Mustang people in 4 groups

1. The Enthusiast - Loves his car like it is part of the family, has friends who share his love of the same car, its his passion. These guys wave.

2. The Average Joe - Looks at his mustang as just another car, usually will trade it in for the next flavour of the month car, likes that it is a Mustang, but is not intese about it. A scratch won't irk them.

3. The "Cool Guy" - Bought a Mustang because he is lacking somewhere. Drives around with a smug look and won't acknowledge anyone or anything. Typically prone to Corvette drivers as well. Don't expect a wave from this guy, let alone a look in your direction.

4. The Young Billy Idols - Drives a used Mustang, does burnouts in stop & go traffic. hammers the car at WOT at 3am down a residential street. Has a "Billy Idol" sneer on his face when he challenges you to a race. When you beat him he spits out the window and gives you the finger.

This is a bit of a humourous representation, but IMO in general, Mustang people are much more diverse than Corvette people or Jeep people.
Old 5/21/05, 05:34 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 5/22/05, 05:28 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by AJC@May 21, 2005, 9:19 AM
:drive:
Went on my 1st cruise today with the top down. Took a 3+ hour ride and it was wonderful.
I waved to 15 Mustangs including 4 '05's. Not one person waved back.
The only wave I got was from an old Navy shipmate in his Miata vert as he was going the other way.
Old 5/23/05, 03:17 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Here I wave or flash my lights at any American car! generally get a response. You do not own an American car here unless you are an enthusiast (or a footballer, they all drive Navigators or Escalades as a status symbol )
Old 5/23/05, 11:09 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Joe Navy@March 24, 2005, 10:54 AM
:angry: Why don't Mustang owners wave back?
What Galaxie said is pretty much the truth. The "Billy Idols" are more likely to have a fox body over any other style. "Cool Guys" though similar would never have something that old. It must be new! The majority however are the "Averege Joe" Do you know how many mustangs there are on the road?!? We're talking millions and millions! What do mustangs and hineyh0les have in common? Everyone has one! They most likely lease the car, because as stated its the flavor of the month who in their right mine would own the same car for more than 3 years?!? Because they dont own it, they dont love it like the enthusiast would. Also they see their mustang as NOT just another mustang, but just another car. If you wave at them, they are going to wonder why. They will never associate that you even own the same car as them, even if its the same year and color. Also, due to their inability to notice the obvious... ..they may not even know youre waving.

If someone waved at me, regardless of what vehicle, I wave back. If someone honks at me, and there is clearly nothing wrong with my driving, I wave back.

I once had an entire converstaion with a man, using verbal hand signals! We both were stopped at a light, he was on my right, one car length up. Same body style and color. His top was down. He turned around at me, pointed at me, then made a gesture with his hands waving at the sky showing that his top was down, pointed back at me, and they shruged his shoulders questioning why my top wasnt down too. I then made the "because" point at the air, and then hugged myself shaking side to side, which explained that I was a wuss and felt too cold to go topless. Youre "average joe" or "billy idol" would not be able to communicate like that.
Old 5/23/05, 11:20 PM

Id like to wave at other mustang owners, but most here dont seem like enthusiasts, they seem like the "average joe" stated above. I recently met a friend at school who loves mustangs as well and we have pretty cool conversations about the cars we own, we even drove each other's cars (we own the same year car). But Id feel a bit odd waving at other mustang owners, because like I said, none of them seem like the enthusiast type. And people who own the 05 stang around here are the type of people who only bought the car because its the "cool" thing right now - everyone loves them, but they are moving on when something "better" comes about. That's why it's always nice to have a place like the mustang source
Old 5/24/05, 01:37 AM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Galaxie@May 21, 2005, 4:18 PM
I think we can group Mustang people in 4 groups

1. The Enthusiast - Loves his car like it is part of the family, has friends who share his love of the same car, its his passion. These guys wave.

2. The Average Joe - Looks at his mustang as just another car, usually will trade it in for the next flavour of the month car, likes that it is a Mustang, but is not intese about it. A scratch won't irk them.

3. The "Cool Guy" - Bought a Mustang because he is lacking somewhere. Drives around with a smug look and won't acknowledge anyone or anything. Typically prone to Corvette drivers as well. Don't expect a wave from this guy, let alone a look in your direction.

4. The Young Billy Idols - Drives a used Mustang, does burnouts in stop & go traffic. hammers the car at WOT at 3am down a residential street. Has a "Billy Idol" sneer on his face when he challenges you to a race. When you beat him he spits out the window and gives you the finger.

This is a bit of a humourous representation, but IMO in general, Mustang people are much more diverse than Corvette people or Jeep people.
I guess I'm the "Enthusiat", that hasn't waved, because there are too many Young Billy Idols" out there. I remember when I got my mustang back in 96, one of my friends asked me why so mustang drivers are such donkey cavities. I had no reply.
Old 5/24/05, 05:40 PM

I always wave to other Mustangs no matter what generation the car is from. I never really thought about it until my cousin said something. She was amazed at how friendly Mustang drivers were (even while stationed in Europe). I guess it really depends on the attitude of the driver but I grew up as a laid back California surf bum and have driven Mustangs since getting my license a very long time ago. I'm stationed in NC now and still find Mustang drivers as a generally friendly group. So if you see a midnight blue 'vert with a tag that say's GoofNOff, go ahead and wave, honk or flash the lights, this is one Stanger that won't disrespect ya. Heck, just follow me, cause I'm most likely on my way to a cruise-in anyway.

Eric
Old 5/24/05, 07:42 PM
My C/T is cooler than Arin is.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can just picture a midnight blue vert with the custom plates followed by 50 or so 'stangers honkin & wavin toward him...
Old 5/25/05, 01:39 PM
FR500 Member

I am definitely an enthusiast. I think most of us here are. But I agree with the statement made by MyLittlePony that most Mustang owners, as well as car owners in general, are just clueless. They just aren't car people, and they just see their car(s) as strictly a means of transportation. They don't notice colors, models, etc... so they probably won't even notice you waving. And if they do, and they don't know you, they'll just ignore you because they won't know why you are waving.

I think it's hard to generalize all Mustang owners as being unfriendly, or anything else. The fact is, we just notice Mustang drivers more because we are in a Mustang and because we are car people. But if you went out today and waved at people only in Toyota Camry's, I'm sure you'd get the same reaction. Now, you might be saying, but I don't drive a Camry. But to 90% of the population you might as well be driving one because they don't notice what type of car you are driving... just that it's another fiberglass box on the road.
Old 5/25/05, 02:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

I am an enthusiast for sure, I grew up turning wrenches and street racing Ford, GM, and Mopars. I love the styling of the 05, I had always dreamed what it would be like to buy a new musclecar off of the showroom floor, now I have my chance, it happens to be a mustang, I couldnt be happier. I usually dont wave very much, but will sometimes..
Old 5/26/05, 01:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Joe Navy@March 24, 2005, 10:54 AM
Are Mustang people unfriendly?

Yes, they are, now go away.

Just kidding, it really varies, I wave sometimes, sometimes I dont. Sometimes I just give a nod.

There are so many mustangs on the road, that your gonna end up with a good bit of rude people in them as well as nice people. Like someone else said, it is usually the enthusiast that waves.
Old 5/26/05, 01:31 PM
GT Member

Never used to pay attention. Now I try to wave to other mustangs and do get ignored except for one late '60's vert. Pass him 2-3's a week and we always wave and smile at each other.

Keep the waves going!
Old 5/26/05, 06:06 PM

Toonz, we'll all be headed to Mustang Week at the end of July. So if any of ya'll go to Myrtle Beach the last week of July, you'll probably meet people from all 4 of the Mustang groups.
Old 6/10/05, 10:32 AM
Bullitt Member

1. The Enthusiast - Loves his car like it is part of the family, has friends who share his love of the same car, its his passion.

4. Does burnouts in stop & go traffic (Im still young)
Old 6/10/05, 11:14 AM
GT Member

i wave at most mustangs I pass. its usually the one finger wave, learned that from driving country roads outside of my home town.

most people wave back if they see you, but I dn't wave to EVERY mustang, just ones where it looks like people take pride in their car.

i usually don't wave at v6s either, cos a lot of times its some middle aged woman, grandma, or redneck that doesn't really care.

but i get a lot of waves from other Ford drivers, and it seems that a lot of Dodge truck drivers wave a lot too.
Old 6/13/05, 07:33 PM
I Have Admin Envy

I have had my '05 mustang for almost 2 weeks, I have only gotten one wave, when I was pulling into a Mustang show, for the most part, i have been ignored by passers by.
Old 6/14/05, 07:20 AM
Bullitt Member

i always flashed my lights at other yellows in my 99 for the past 5 years. they always flash back... must just be a yellow thing.

went past a couple in my 05 too and they always flashed back.

there it is, proof that yellow really IS the best color!!!
Old 6/20/05, 08:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Joe Navy@March 24, 2005, 11:54 AM
:angry: Why don't Mustang owners wave back?

This is my first Mustang and I always thought Mustang people were very friendly. However, when I pass someone in a Mustang going the opposite direction they don't even acknowledge a wave and setting next to another Mustang at a stop light is really wierd. They won't even look at you and often times gun their engine. I have had people, who don't own Mustangs, come up to me in the parking lot and talk about my car or cars in general or even at a toll booth or drive-up window but a Mustang owner has never done that. The only responce I have got from someone in a Mustang was from another person in a Redfire GT. So what gives? Everyone here at Mustang Source seems pretty friendly. Am I the only Mustang person that waves at other people in Mustangs? Is it because I have an 05? Is it just where I live?

My wife has a Jeep Wrangler and ALL Wrangler owners say hey or wave. Wrangler people want to know what mods you have on your Jeep just like here at Mustang Source. What's the scoop guys?
Without reading through all the replies, my 2cents are,
The Vast majority of Mustang owners arent afficiandos. I get waves once in awhile, theres a grey Bullit waves when I see him, "usually" folks in vintage Mustangs wave.
I get more responses from the teenage Camaro/Firebird kids than anyone else.

Quick Reply: Are Mustang people unfriendly?