General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Mustang drivers, how do you park your mustang

Old 3/20/13, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mustang drivers, how do you park your mustang

I got my new 2013 mustang v6 premium last week, still not used to the size of the mustang yet. I used to drive compact to midsize sedans, jetta, mazda 3 and such, I always go head first into the parking spot. Now with the mustang, I have to back up few times to get in and straighten out properly, because of the long hood and body width.

So my question is, how do you seasoned mustang drivers park your mustang, head first or reverse into the slot (not parallel parking)? I think reversing into a slot would be much better suited for mustang, but I have yet to try it. I just want to check if I'm doing anything wrong.

Thanks
Old 3/20/13, 09:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I go nose first.

It's actually easy. You've just got to start a little wider and turn the wheel a little sharper. The Mustang has a remarkably tight turning radius, easily as tight as the other cars you've mentioned, you've just got to adjust for the width of the car. So start by moving the car a little farther away from the spot you're going to pull into, move forward a little farther than you think is necessary, and turn as tight as possible.

You'll be amazed how little distance you travel turning the car 90 degrees.
Old 3/20/13, 09:24 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Backing in is getaway mode.
Seriously, backing in makes getting out much easier because you can see what you are pulling out into much better. It just takes a wee bit longer than pulling in forward. My Mustang is only a few inches wider than our Accord sedan (mirror edge to mirror edge), but it felt huge when I drove it home the first night. I have gotten much more comfortable with it now. It certainly is MUCH larger than the Honda S2000 it replaced.
Old 3/20/13, 09:35 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I started off with these problems too believe me, they've just not completely faded at about 6 months of having the car. Now reverse or nose first it doesn't matter I don't think twice about it, whatever I'm in position for when I see the spot I want
Old 3/20/13, 10:31 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I park however I want - AS FAR AWAY FROM EVERYBODY as possible.

Still - at times, I'll go out to my car and find nobody around me, except one guy who parks right next to me...

*sigh* - my wife is like that, she'll park next to someone far away instead of giving space.... needless to say we've discussed her parking habits, and I of course was wrong.....
Old 3/20/13, 10:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For those of us with lowered cars, backing in is the only option for fear of damaging the front spoiler. But who parks their car in a parking lot anyway.
Old 3/21/13, 12:18 AM

Thanks for all the great responses, like you guys said, it just takes some time to get used to, I'll get there eventually.
Old 3/21/13, 12:28 AM
FR500 Member

Back it in everytime. Idk im weird, when i try parking nose in im always just a liiil crooked and OCD doesnt like that. When i reverse, its straight 90% of the time. I feel thats the only way i can park now
Old 3/21/13, 06:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
I find a spot in the back of a lot, or if that's not possible, I find one in a corner, next to a median, or next to a handicapped spot so there can only be a car on one side of me, then I park as close to the opposite side as possible, every time.

As for pulling in or backing in, I pull in. Backing in leads to people thinking you're an a** and even trying to drive around you as you start backing up because they think you're pulling forward so it can be dangerous. After having a 2012 Fusion rental for three weeks, I have decided my Mustang isn't that bad as far as rear visibility so backing up doesn't bother me.
Old 3/21/13, 07:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

I always try to back in anytime I can
Old 3/21/13, 08:07 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
I find a spot in the back of a lot, or if that's not possible, I find one in a corner, next to a median, or next to a handicapped spot so there can only be a car on one side of me, then I park as close to the opposite side as possible, every time.

As for pulling in or backing in, I pull in. Backing in leads to people thinking you're an a** and even trying to drive around you as you start backing up because they think you're pulling forward so it can be dangerous. After having a 2012 Fusion rental for three weeks, I have decided my Mustang isn't that bad as far as rear visibility so backing up doesn't bother me.
Why would people assume your an a** if you bck into a spot?
Old 3/21/13, 08:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by CCTking

Ha, I just remember a variety of people saying that over the years. No real logic behind it!
Old 3/21/13, 09:13 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ray Man
For those of us with lowered cars, backing in is the only option for fear of damaging the front spoiler
That's true, never thought about that. And I am lowering soon. Right now I try to pull in towards walls though to hide that I sport no front plate..
Old 3/21/13, 10:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always back in, it makes it easier to pull out and return fire
Old 3/21/13, 10:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

As usual I park in the back of the lot, and there are times, I will park in the middle of 4 parking spaces, giving me 2-5 feet on all sides of me. But it's the back of the lot, so it's not like I'm doing it up front or in the middle sections. If I did it up front I'd be considered pretty selfish, I rather just not have be near anyone, and if I am, I back it in, rather than nose first.
Old 3/21/13, 10:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Because your standing out, being different, then they see the mustang.
Old 3/21/13, 10:24 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RedGT12
As usual I park in the back of the lot, and there are times, I will park in the middle of 4 parking spaces, giving me 2-5 feet on all sides of me. But it's the back of the lot, so it's not like I'm doing it up front or in the middle sections. If I did it up front I'd be considered pretty selfish, I rather just not have be near anyone, and if I am, I back it in, rather than nose first.
Dude, you're just asking for it, taking up four spots, hell, you're begging for it. ******** would key a car for taking only 2 spaces, but 4, forgot about it. If you park in the back of the lot, why isn't one space acceptable? I park my 500 in one space at a distance and don't worry about people. Most people will see the car they're parking next to and will be careful...well, I believe they will.
Old 3/21/13, 10:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

Dude, you're just asking for it, taking up four spots, hell, you're begging for it. ******** would key a car for taking only 2 spaces, but 4, forgot about it. If you park in the back of the lot, why isn't one space acceptable? I park my 500 in one space at a distance and don't worry about people. Most people will see the car they're parking next to and will be careful...well, I believe they will.
I don't do that everytime, sorry should rephrase that. I have done that before, and its not like anyone else is around to notice, they'd have to drive by to notice. But yes I have done it before, but I usually am in the back or like you said, at distance
Old 3/21/13, 05:20 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by RedGT12

Because your standing out, being different, then they see the mustang.
So im an a** because i wanna be different? That works with me i really dont care
Old 3/21/13, 05:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

So im an a** because i wanna be different? That works with me i really dont care
I'm not saying you are!! I don't think that,

I'm just saying what other people probably think

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mustang drivers, how do you park your mustang