General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Might have to sell the mustang... What should i ask for it?

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/13, 12:56 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Might have to sell the mustang... What should i ask for it?

So basically me and wife are about to take the step on selling the mustang... Yeah I know...so my doubt is what should I ask for it? It has a 400 miles new 306 crate motor from summit forged internals edelbrock rpm intake Holley 600 cfm. C4 new from tci tranny with manual valve body, TCI stall 6000. Subframe connectors. 9inch ford with moser 5 lug axels. Weld wheels. It has a 6 point cage. Interior is like new. Paint is in great shape but hatch is from another fox and white doesn't match perfectly. I'm sure I'm forgetting tons but you get the idea. Also suspension eibach drag lunch spring kit with bags. Coil over adjustable 8way. Front is tubular. Etc. thanks guys
Old 3/1/13, 05:34 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Lando
So basically me and wife are about to take the step on selling the mustang... Yeah I know...so my doubt is what should I ask for it? It has a 400 miles new 306 crate motor from summit forged internals edelbrock rpm intake Holley 600 cfm. C4 new from tci tranny with manual valve body, TCI stall 6000. Subframe connectors. 9inch ford with moser 5 lug axels. Weld wheels. It has a 6 point cage. Interior is like new. Paint is in great shape but hatch is from another fox and white doesn't match perfectly. I'm sure I'm forgetting tons but you get the idea. Also suspension eibach drag lunch spring kit with bags. Coil over adjustable 8way. Front is tubular. Etc. thanks guys
Anyone?
Old 3/1/13, 05:42 PM
Bullitt Member

This will be touchy. All in all how much did you spend on the car and parts? Don't include the cost of install since install doesn't add to car value.
Old 3/1/13, 08:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
What would it be worth stock?

Now... can you reasonably figure out how much your mods add or subtract from that value? Then you can set a price.

Finding a buyer might be the harder part. Someone has to want a modded Mustang like you've done. And no two people are alike on the mods they'd do.

That's why there's no replies to speak of... that highly modded a Mustang can't have a 'set' price. The buyer may show eventually for the price you want... or may never show, because nobody wants to pay your price for the thing. It's a touchy call, like TheMuffinMan says, and nobody wants to be wrong or a black hat on this.

So... what will you bottom line for it? I'll give you $500 for it right now. But you won't take that. So... what will you take?

Now add a few percent to that... there's your asking price. Now you have a negotiable item, and maybe somewhere in the middle you'll get more than what you'd bottom line take... providing there's a buyer, of course.

And that's all on you, buddy. Nobody else can do that for ya.

Wishin' you luck on the sale.

Last edited by houtex; 3/1/13 at 08:28 PM.
Old 3/1/13, 08:37 PM
Bullitt Member

What makes it even more touchy is the fact that the parts you put in aren't new. I'd say find out what it is stock (like the person above me said) and then add up the price on all the mods you have done and add 1/4 of that price to the price of your car stock. In the end though don't expect to get nearly what you paid for the mods back. Most cases no one wants to buy a heavily modded vehicle that's why you really only see them at whole sale dealer ships going for a lot less then their stock counterparts.
Old 3/1/13, 11:01 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
What makes it even more touchy is the fact that the parts you put in aren't new. I'd say find out what it is stock (like the person above me said) and then add up the price on all the mods you have done and add 1/4 of that price to the price of your car stock. In the end though don't expect to get nearly what you paid for the mods back. Most cases no one wants to buy a heavily modded vehicle that's why you really only see them at whole sale dealer ships going for a lot less then their stock counterparts.
Thanks guys, all parts are new withing a year. I put 400 miles on all the mods... The rear of car is getting replanted and rockers also. I'm gonna say $10500 and see if there is interest. What you guys think? Thanks again
Old 3/2/13, 08:42 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 949 Likes on 577 Posts
Thanks guys, all parts are new withing a year. I put 400 miles on all the mods... The rear of car is getting replanted and rockers also. I'm gonna say $10500 and see if there is interest. What you guys think? Thanks again
Thats probably too high but there is certainly no harm in asking that price, right? If you do get some interest, great! If nothing after 7 - 10 days, then you know it is priced too high. Lower the price gradually until you hit that sweet spot when the phone starts ringing. Remember that this heavily modded car has a very limited buyer's market, generally a younger male demographic that has little cash on hand. Not only that problem to overcome but someone is going to have to love what you done with the car and be willing to pay for it. Sorry to be a 'downer' but I'm sure you want honest opinions. GLWS!
Old 3/2/13, 12:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Thanks guys, all parts are new withing a year. I put 400 miles on all the mods...
Suuuuure they are....

But I bring a valid point on that, the buyer may be that sort of suspicious... and you shouldn't take it personally. Caveat Emptor is always *always* the rule of thumb with a preowned anything.

I've bought used stuff and had nary an issue... and I've bought used stuff and seriously had to just... let it go, because it was totally useless to my wallet.

So the fact it's new or not is pretty much a non-factor to a lot of people. That it has it is, and may or may not affect their acceptance of price.

As far as the asking price, well... if you get it sold quick, it was too low. If it takes forever, it's too high. If it takes a couple of weeks or a month or so? Probably about right...

And there's only one way to find that out.... put it out there and see. This be like fishing. Might have to change the bait if the first kind doesn't work. Perhaps they'll like the spoon instead of the worm...
Old 3/2/13, 06:19 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by houtex

Suuuuure they are....

But I bring a valid point on that, the buyer may be that sort of suspicious... and you shouldn't take it personally. Caveat Emptor is always *always* the rule of thumb with a preowned anything.

I've bought used stuff and had nary an issue... and I've bought used stuff and seriously had to just... let it go, because it was totally useless to my wallet.

So the fact it's new or not is pretty much a non-factor to a lot of people. That it has it is, and may or may not affect their acceptance of price.

As far as the asking price, well... if you get it sold quick, it was too low. If it takes forever, it's too high. If it takes a couple of weeks or a month or so? Probably about right...

And there's only one way to find that out.... put it out there and see. This be like fishing. Might have to change the bait if the first kind doesn't work. Perhaps they'll like the spoon instead of the worm...
Have all the receipts with date and pictures dated. So yeah they are lol
Old 3/2/13, 06:22 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by houtex

Suuuuure they are....

Forgot to mention that actually they have about 317 to be exact lol. But I round up to 400 miles since ill drive it a couple of times before I sell it.
Old 3/2/13, 06:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what you put into and what you want and what you expect to get does not matter in the end. It is what people are willing to pay for it. It all depends on your area. people where I live want way to much but one state over they are pretty much on target. I am sure some areas they ask to little. I suggest look at ads for your area. craigslist and e-bay and you might get a better idea. Sorry to harsh you question but the reality of it all is we don't often get what we think it is worth. Good luck
Old 3/2/13, 10:37 PM

I'm selling my 5.0. Private owner. Just sits in garage. See link. My buddy put it up.
http://www.excellauto.com/pre-owned/
Old 3/2/13, 11:03 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
A heavily modded car has two additional problems. If your prospective buyer doesn't have all his dollars in his pocket he is likely to have a tough time finding a lender who will front money for such a car. The other problem is that your prospective buyer may have an even more difficult time finding someone to insure it. Like the guys before me, I hate to pour on cold water, but your buyer's market is likely to be very thin. That obviously affects the price. GLWS
Old 3/3/13, 09:38 AM

I hate to say it but the market stinks for modded cars right now..... Unless you are giving it away, know what I mean..

IMO, your best bet is to try and network within your area. Car shows/meets, etc.. this way folks will see it live and you could deal on the spot..

When I sold my built fox (in 2006) it took 10 months before I got the right buyer, but I wasn't going to give it away, and theeconomy was in much better shape

GLWS !
Old 6/13/13, 08:29 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 09Troublemaker
I hate to say it but the market stinks for modded cars right now..... Unless you are giving it away, know what I mean..

IMO, your best bet is to try and network within your area. Car shows/meets, etc.. this way folks will see it live and you could deal on the spot..

When I sold my built fox (in 2006) it took 10 months before I got the right buyer, but I wasn't going to give it away, and theeconomy was in much better shape

GLWS !
You can take to carmax and see what they are willing to buy it for. That at least will be a starting point, even if it is painful to hear what they offer.
Old 6/14/13, 08:14 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 949 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by Spark
You can take to carmax and see what they are willing to buy it for. That at least will be a starting point, even if it is painful to hear what they offer.
The original post is about 4 months old already. I'm sure the car is long gone.
Old 6/26/13, 04:28 PM
V6 Member

Actually car still for sale. Apparently the market does suck for modded fox's. i know of a guy that saw one before mine and bought it then saw mine at a meet and was very very pissed off. He paid more because was recently painted but its slow as f.... Anyways yeah still up for sale...