General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

MGW Shifter installed - thoughts/impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12/2/11 | 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by FromZto5
How would one person do the clamshell snap on? The bottom half has to be from bottom, and top half from top???
Very patiently It was a bit of a balancing act. I put the selector arm in the bottom half and rested it on the drive shaft from under the car (the weight of the selector arm helps keep it in place). Went inside the car and placed the top half on it while being careful not to knock the whole thing off the drive shaft. I then hooked in the front dust boot you see in the picture below. This helped keep both halves together a bit better. From then on it was a matter of gently moving everything around to thread all the bolts in just a bit from under the car while keeping everything line up with the selector arm in it. The trickiest part is getting the first one in. Once I had them all in, I gradually tightened them all the way while stopping a couple of times to check from inside the car and make sure everything looked OK.

Old 12/2/11 | 12:28 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
Are you prem? Check the Premium Member's Lounge
No I'm not Prem... you do mean Prem for this forum right? If so, no... and how do I go about doing that... and what's the benefit?

Originally Posted by 302 Gordon
I too have installed the MGW shifter and had the most trouble with the boot and the long studs aligning with the bottom of the shifter. I think the best advice (given above) is to fit the boot first and then install the rear bracket. My wife and I performed this install over four days....about an hour or so each day. The result is as described in the above post..........an absolutely fabulous addition to our car!
I should have done it that way. I went ahead and bolted the entire bottom assembly/rear support bracket to the car. It was just that the boot itself was so new, and flexing it to go underneath the tunnel lip (being a smaller diameter oval resulting in more material sticking out) was such a PITA. Luckily we just do this once???

Originally Posted by yellowrubiu
Very patiently It was a bit of a balancing act. I put the selector arm in the bottom half and rested it on the drive shaft from under the car (the weight of the selector arm helps keep it in place). Went inside the car and placed the top half on it while being careful not to knock the whole thing off the drive shaft. I then hooked in the front dust boot you see in the picture below. This helped keep both halves together a bit better. From then on it was a matter of gently moving everything around to thread all the bolts in just a bit from under the car while keeping everything line up with the selector arm in it. The trickiest part is getting the first one in. Once I had them all in, I gradually tightened them all the way while stopping a couple of times to check from inside the car and make sure everything looked OK.

You have b*lls of steel my friend. With my luck, I would have been alternating between the inside cockpit and underneath the car endlessly, as the bottom clamshell would have probably fallen out of place whenever I touched it with the top clamshell. Did you have to wiggle the top clam to lower clam for a while? Or did it just pop in?

UPDATE: day 2, getting a bit more used to the shifter assembly. I can tell it's a little more loose (emphasize a little) than yesterday when new. Am loving this shifter more and more.
Old 12/27/11 | 09:48 AM
I Have No Life

UPDATE: Put on about 350 miles on the MGW shifter. They were right... it does get a little "looser" as the miles get added on. Not sure looser is the right word... but it feels like it snicks into place more solidly, smoothly, and reassuringly. This shifter rocks. Between it and my GT500 ab's, not sure which I love better. The shifter just feels so GOOD to shift... best way I can explain it. Will post more updates once I get more miles on her.
Old 1/1/12 | 08:26 AM
Cobra Member

UPDATE: Put on about 350 miles on the MGW shifter. They were right... it does get a little "looser" as the miles get added on. Not sure looser is the right word... but it feels like it snicks into place more solidly, smoothly, and reassuringly. This shifter rocks. Between it and my GT500 ab's, not sure which I love better. The shifter just feels so GOOD to shift... best way I can explain it. Will post more updates once I get more miles on her.
I think this is going on my list for spring time.
Old 1/17/12 | 09:38 PM
GT Member

Nice write-up and look forward to installing mine.
Old 1/18/12 | 06:55 AM
Cobra R Member

Nice write up. I have had my MGW for a few years now and I can tell you they hold up and are a very stout shifter. I loved it from the minute I put it in and wouldn't get another. enjoy it
Old 1/18/12 | 07:59 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
I think this is going on my list for spring time.
Definitely do so, Steve. This is one of my favorite mods, esp since it's the one "linking" you the car...how you control/tame the beast It's night and day from stock, in a very very very good way.

Originally Posted by Avengnd
Nice write-up and look forward to installing mine.
Yes! Post up your thoughts/impressions as well.

Originally Posted by skunk21
Nice write up. I have had my MGW for a few years now and I can tell you they hold up and are a very stout shifter. I loved it from the minute I put it in and wouldn't get another. enjoy it
MGW makes them for your year stang too eh? Very cool...
Old 1/18/12 | 08:04 AM
Cobra R Member

MGW makes them for your year stang too eh? Very cool...
yeah, they have been around for a long time, before I got mine they used to offer 3 different style handles for the shifter...blue, gold and silver. they offered more bling stuff for the mustang at one time but a few years ago they dropped some of it same for the viper stuff.

pic of the T5 shifter from MGW..

Last edited by skunk21; 1/18/12 at 08:05 AM. Reason: added pic
Old 5/26/12 | 10:31 PM
I Have No Life

Switched to white today... I like em both. What do you think?

Name:  DSC_0386.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  87.9 KB

vs

Name:  DSC_0469.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  65.2 KB
Old 5/26/12 | 10:35 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

I prefer the black. Should have got the striped one.
Attached Images   
Old 5/27/12 | 05:24 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
I prefer the black. Should have got the striped one.
I asked them for the rally style, but they don't come in my model year. (reverse is on right instead of left)