General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Just totaled my '05 w/ MODS, black box gave it up

Search this Thread

Old 5/4/05, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please change the title and description for this topic - it sounds like this REALLY happened, and it didn't, and not everyone wants to read and decipher the original post.
Old 5/4/05, 12:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by dallasmustang@May 4, 2005, 11:30 AM
Please change the title and description for this topic - it sounds like this REALLY happened, and it didn't, and not everyone wants to read and decipher the original post.
Sorry there Dallas, I checked with JR but can't figure out how to change the title to suit you.
Old 5/10/05, 07:25 PM
V6 Member

I am lucky enough to get to get to download this information at my work, for insurance adjusters and attorneys. Not all air bag modules "black boxes" store your pre accident speed. Some just store a vehicles change in velocity and seat belt status during an accident. However, some modules also record vehicle speed, engine RPM, brake status, and throttle position. If your air bags deploy during an accident this information is permanently written to the module. If the air bag module "wakes up" during and accident but does not deploy the air bags, this is called a near deployment event, and the module will still records the vehicle accident data but not permanently. This near deployment data is supposed to be erased by the module in 250 ignition cycles. If you F up badly you might consider pulling this module out of you vehicle to cover your hide.
Old 5/11/05, 08:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by sknapp302@May 10, 2005, 6:28 PM
I am lucky enough to get to get to download this information at my work, for insurance adjusters and attorneys. Not all air bag modules "black boxes" store your pre accident speed. Some just store a vehicles change in velocity and seat belt status during an accident. However, some modules also record vehicle speed, engine RPM, brake status, and throttle position. If your air bags deploy during an accident this information is permanently written to the module. If the air bag module "wakes up" during and accident but does not deploy the air bags, this is called a near deployment event, and the module will still records the vehicle accident data but not permanently. This near deployment data is supposed to be erased by the module in 250 ignition cycles. If you F up badly you might consider pulling this module out of you vehicle to cover your hide.
Thanks Steve!

This is interesting information. I wonder which module our 05s have ?
Old 5/12/05, 01:28 PM
V6 Member

Currently the 2005 mustang is not a supported vehicle for the Crash Data Recording scan tool, CDR from Vetronixs Corp. However, the 2005 Mustang may be supported in the furtue.

The supported 2005 Ford Vehicles currently record the following during an accident:

Data Summary Information

-Diagnostic codes active when event occurred.
-Passenger Airbag Switch Position During Event.
-Time From Side Safing Decision to Left (Driver) Side Bag Deployment (msec).
-Frontal and Pretensioner Fire time (ms).

Longitudinal Crash Pulse Graph

-Plots change in forward velocity (MPH) versus time.
-Plots change in forward acceleration (Gs) versus time.

These are the current supported 2005 Ford vehicles. We are constantly getting software updates and the list of supported vehicles and the data that we can obtain from the modules usually grows with time.

Excursion
F250 Super Duty
F350 Super Duty
F450 Super Duty
F550 Super Duty
Ranger
Thunderbird
Old 5/12/05, 01:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow! Great information . Thank you!
Old 8/21/06, 12:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Ok, I understand how the black box records info if you are moving and involved in an accident, but can it also tell if you are stopped and rear-ended, what the force upon impact was? And if so, how do you get that info?
Old 8/21/06, 12:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was just searching info on this earlier this morning...

Nestled under dashboards of 30 million American cars, hidden from view near the airbag deployment system, sits an event data recorder. Ford installs them in 80 percent of its inventory, including the Mustang. There is even a 'black box flight recorder' which continuously measures all sorts of things about the car, so that in the event of an accident there is little point in telling the police officer that you were only doing 40, when the black box will ultimately reveal your true velocity!!
ONSTAR has been used for just that purpose and more, for example when a carjacker takes off with a baby in the back. Police have even monitored the sounds inside the car through the installed cell phone microphone without alerting the carjacker (by connecting to the cell phone without ringing it) to make sure the baby is OK. Google it, tons of info on this, including successful baby rescues... It takes a warant or an emergency to get ONSTAR to feed this data to the police, but the capability IS there and HAS been used. An even more advanced version of the EDR is being tested by Ford in police cars. This model sends data to 911 dispatchers in the event of a crash. It even allows dispatchers to talk to the occupants of the vehicle after the crash and relay the exact location of and number of passengers in the car. Since these new black boxes are networked to the dispatchers, privacy issues rise even as automotive executives tout the safety improvements afforded by the device. The big issue: tracking. Who monitors the data sent from each car? Nestled under the dashboard of 30 million American cars, hidden from view near the airbag deployment system, sits an event data recorder. During the first five seconds of a car crash, this "black box" device springs into action, recording how fast the car was traveling, whether the driver had his foot on the gas or the brake, and how well safety devices performed. General Motors installed the first of these data recorders in the early 1990s. After retrieving recorder data from repair shops around the nation, the car manufacturer then used the data to check that airbags and antilock brakes functioned properly during accidents. Over the years, other companies picked up on this idea: today, Saturn and GM install event data recorders in all their new vehicles, and Ford installs them in 80 percent of its inventory, including the Expedition, Taurus and Mustang. As a result, our cars are safer.