General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Insuring a Modified Car

Search this Thread

Old 1/10/06, 09:09 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Progressive is giving me grief about the car. They said that modifying the suspension or performance of the vehicle makes it ineligible for coverage. I can get one of their corporate plans, which is double what I'm already paying. I'm going to call Hagerty tomorrow to see if I qualify for their Special Interest coverage and what my premium would be.

Surely all modified vehicles aren't ineligible for insurance coverage. Who insures your modified Mustang?
Old 1/10/06, 10:12 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

So, how do the insurance folk know anything about your vehicle other than the VIN?
Old 1/10/06, 11:00 PM
Cobra Member

They dont, but if you say no mods then you cant claim any in a wreck or a theft. (as far as i understand it)

Im with the cooperators but that probably doesnt matter since im up here in canadaland. My car was blacklisted for younger drivers so i had to jump through a few hoops.
Old 1/11/06, 12:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Have you tried Erie Insurance. Thats who I use and they're usually very good. Might just want to give them a call and see what they have to say.
Old 1/15/06, 07:57 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Geico asked me when I called to add the car. "Am I doing any modification to the car?". I thought what a strange queation. What if I changed wheels or whatever. They never asked about any other car
Old 1/15/06, 08:38 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 2005GTDELUXE@January 15, 2006, 10:00 AM
Geico asked me when I called to add the car. "Am I doing any modification to the car?". I thought what a strange queation. What if I changed wheels or whatever. They never asked about any other car
It's a legitimate question - mods add value to the car than might affect insurance. You can't expect a stock car will have the same insurance cost as one with a body kit, rims, aftermarket sound system, custom interior, blower, whatever...
That being said, when I had State Farm all they wanted me to do was document everything and they took it all into consideration. I never went wild with aftermarket stuff so it barely affected my coverage.
Old 1/15/06, 04:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

I have state farm and when I added new wheels and a stereo system all they asked for was copy of the receipts and that was it. My coverage never went up or changed. I never lowered it though.

Maybe thats a red flag for more damage from a higher heavier vehicle or something.
Old 1/15/06, 06:33 PM
Cobra Member

I have Geico as well and that was a concern of mine when I got the 20's put on. They said it would be a couple extra dollars for the year and that was it. They said to keep all documentation as well. They were pretty cool.
Old 1/16/06, 08:10 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
State Farm recently tried to cancel my insurance after I put a claim in stating I had heavily moddified the suspension which is an automatic cancellation of the insurance policy. They based this all on seeing pictures of the car and not actually ever seeing the car. I fought with them on the issue and they decided not to cancel my policy however they removed my guaranteed renewal. My car currently has fire/theft insurance on it while in storage but I have a feeling they will either not renew my policy in the spring or increase my rates. :bang:

After all of this I read every single line in the policy guidelines and sure enough there is a clause that stated if the suspension had been modified (aka lowered) that insurance would automatically be cancelled.
State Farm said I had modified my car for Street Racing. I couldn't help but laugh.
Old 1/16/06, 11:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well i got in a wreck about 6 months ago and I was in my acura cl-s and I have state farm. The guy who hit me was with progressive. They only had 10k in coverage so it had to go to my ins co to get fixed. I have lowering springs, sway bars, intake, headers, and exhaust. The headers and sways got hit in the wreck and it got replaced with the same aftermarket parts (about 1500) State farm nor progressive ever said anything about it...just fixed it. I am shocked they covered it because in the past they have not (different car got totaled and they didnt pay for mods). That is my experence with ins co's and mods.....

Maybe its by state? Or maybe State farm is trying to get more $ from loosing there **** off for Katrina down here
Old 1/16/06, 12:53 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I do know that my agent doesn't care what I do to the car, they love it by the way. It was the appraiser from head office that brought up the issue so someone at the Head Office in Ontario is the one that wanted the policy cancelled Been with the company for 16 years and this is my first claim with them and they want to cancel my policy :notnice: Then again, the claim is costing them almost as much as all of the payments they received from me over the years.
Old 1/16/06, 07:08 PM
Cobra Member

Brad get Geico if you can. I just called them and they insured every mod I have on the car. So if it is stolen, burned, totaled or what ever the car is covered, mods are covered and the installation is covered as well. I sure feel safe now.
Old 1/16/06, 07:50 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by TheMustangSource@January 10, 2006, 11:12 PM
Progressive is giving me grief about the car. They said that modifying the suspension or performance of the vehicle makes it ineligible for coverage. I can get one of their corporate plans, which is double what I'm already paying. I'm going to call Hagerty tomorrow to see if I qualify for their Special Interest coverage and what my premium would be.

Surely all modified vehicles aren't ineligible for insurance coverage. Who insures your modified Mustang?
progressive is terrible to deal with, my brother-in-law had all sorts of problems when he wrecked his car, i'd switch companies and just not mention the mods.
Old 2/7/06, 09:56 PM
Bullitt Member

What ever happened with the insurance? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 2/7/06, 10:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have Nationwide and they never said anything to me about modifications. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 3/10/06, 10:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

www.esurance.com covers mods. i lvoe em. over $2000 a year less than progressive for me with full coverage for a 23yr old with an accident and a bunch of tickets. also first insurance ive ever had.
Old 3/11/06, 12:55 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Many ins companies won't insure cars with "Performance Enhancing" mods. The binding agreements with agents get pretty specific, though not logical. No surprise there, as a lowered suspension is considered a performance enhancing mod, but a K&N filter is not, however a CAI is. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/confused18.gif[/img] Different companies have different policies regarding some of these items. I believe that Nationwide is one of the more reasonable companies when it comes to this.
Aaah, more grief that stupid Fast and the Furious movie has brought to car enthusiasts.