General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

I want a set of these exhaust bad.

Search this Thread

Old 9/18/22, 11:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
"Nuther Update

Got the Borla's installed today, and I'm quite happy with the sound. They're not wake the neighbors loud, which is good, but they give the car a much deeper, richer tone. I like 'em so far.

Strange thang....the left side exhaust was missing the hanger at the back of the muffler. It didn't look like one had ever been there, but who knows with an old car. Even stranger the over the axle pipe never bumped once with the stock muffler installed. But of course, it bumps now. So, it's off in search of a muffler hanger to stop that dang bumping.
The following 2 users liked this post by wanted33:
m05fastbackGT (9/18/22), NC14GT (9/19/22)
Old 9/18/22, 04:06 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,979 Likes on 1,603 Posts
Glad your pleased with the sound from the Borla S-Types Jim.. As for the driver's side exhaust hanger missing, the previous owner apparently removed it for some reason, as all 2005-14 S197 models have both driver and passenger side exhaust hangers.. Meanwhile, I went ahead and attached a link and image photo from Tasca Parts.com.
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...ger-br3z5a246a

Muffler Hanger - Ford BR3Z-5A246-A (Top) One for each side, replaces original OEM part number
4R3Z-5A246-AA (bottom)

This is an image of what my OEM hangers look like.. Original OEM part number
4R3Z-5A246-AA (two for each side)

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/19/22 at 12:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by m05fastbackGT:
NC14GT (9/19/22), wanted33 (9/19/22)
Old 9/19/22, 05:45 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Glad your pleased with the sound from the Borla S-Types Jim.. As for the driver's side exhaust hanger missing, the previous owner apparently removed it for some reason, as all 2005-14 S197 models have both driver and passenger side exhaust hangers.. Meanwhile, I went ahead and attached a link and image photo from Tasca Parts.com.
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...ger-br3z5a246a

Muffler Hanger - Ford BR3Z-5A246-A (Top) One for each side, replaces original OEM part number
4R3Z-5A246-AA (bottom)

This is an image of what my OEM hangers look like.. Original OEM part number
4R3Z-5A246-AA (two for each side)
Thanks Rocky, you must be rubbung off on me. I was looking at the same Tasca page when I got this post notice. While Tasca shows this to be the one, the muffler has two rods, and mine is like yours with one. While the hanger may fit my OCD just won't let me order the thing. So, I'mma gonna stick with the horse that brought me, and order the single sided hanger. That way I know I'm good. I appreciate your help my friend. The mystery of the missing hanger does continue.......

What are your thoughts my friend?

Last edited by wanted33; 9/19/22 at 05:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (9/19/22)
Old 9/19/22, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by wanted33
Thanks Rocky, you must be rubbung off on me. I was looking at the same Tasca page when I got this post notice. While Tasca shows this to be the one, the muffler has two rods, and mine is like yours with one. While the hanger may fit my OCD just won't let me order the thing. So, I'mma gonna stick with the horse that brought me, and order the single sided hanger. That way I know I'm good. I appreciate your help my friend. The mystery of the missing hanger does continue.......

What are your thoughts my friend?
Jim! I think you may had took my response in the wrong way? So just to clarify, the 2 images of the OEM exhaust hangers located on the bottom are the original OEM hangers which are still on my "06" GT.. Just like your Borla S-Types, my Borla ATAK axle backs also have 2 rods.. What I had to do, was slide each hanger onto each rod, in other words, a total of 2 hangers per muffler.. The single sided hanger you intend to order from Rock Auto is the very same located on Tasca Parts website.. The single sided exhaust hanger replaced the original OEM hangers which had 2 sides to them.. The single sided hanger only requires one hanger per muffler instead of 2 hangers that the originals required... Meanwhile, hope this help clarify any misinterpretations on my part?
wanted33 (9/20/22)
Old 9/20/22, 04:44 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Jim! I think you may had took my response in the wrong way? So just to clarify, the 2 images of the OEM exhaust hangers located on the bottom are the original OEM hangers which are still on my "06" GT.. Just like your Borla S-Types, my Borla ATAK axle backs also have 2 rods.. What I had to do, was slide each hanger onto each rod, in other words, a total of 2 hangers per muffler.. The single sided hanger you intend to order from Rock Auto is the very same located on Tasca Parts website.. The single sided exhaust hanger replaced the original OEM hangers which had 2 sides to them.. The single sided hanger only requires one hanger per muffler instead of 2 hangers that the originals required... Meanwhile, hope this help clarify any misinterpretations on my part?

We're good brother. As I understand Ford changed the hangers somewhere around mid '07. Mine has the single rod. I may have got you crossed up as the only one Rock Auto sells is the double sided.
m05fastbackGT (9/20/22)
Old 9/20/22, 06:13 AM

We're good brother. As I understand Ford changed the hangers somewhere around mid '07. Mine has the single rod. I may have got you crossed up as the only one Rock Auto sells is the double sided.
You're absolutely spot on Jim! Ford did indeed change the hangers in mid "07" Therefore, if you cross reference Ford OEM part number BR3Z-5A246-A from Tasca Parts website with the Dorman 03500 hanger from the Rock Auto website, they both match up as the same hanger... Also from the description link image from the Rock Auto website, I didn't notice a double side, unless I somehow missed something.. Anyhow, if you feel more comfortable ordering the hanger from Tasca Parts over Rock Auto? I wouldn't hesitate for a moment, as Tasca Parts specializes in carrying OEM take off parts in stock.. In the meantime, let me know how well the Borla S-Types line up with the new hanger installed

-Rocky
Old 9/20/22, 10:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

You're absolutely spot on Jim! Ford did indeed change the hangers in mid "07" Therefore, if you cross reference Ford OEM part number BR3Z-5A246-A from Tasca Parts website with the Dorman 03500 hanger from the Rock Auto website, they both match up as the same hanger... Also from the description link image from the Rock Auto website, I didn't notice a double side, unless I somehow missed something.. Anyhow, if you feel more comfortable ordering the hanger from Tasca Parts over Rock Auto? I wouldn't hesitate for a moment, as Tasca Parts specializes in carrying OEM take off parts in stock.. In the meantime, let me know how well the Borla S-Types line up with the new hanger installed

-Rocky
Will do sir. I ordered from Late Model Restorations for the convenience as I could get the hanger, and bolts at the same place. When I added up shipping charges there was like $2/$3 difference if ordering from different vendors , and I can get 'em both at the same time.

Also, I now understand what you were saying about the roar/resonance/drone with the Borlas. At 1200/1400 rpms with the engine under load it does get quite load in the cabin. I had a chance to drive the car around like gas is a dollar a gallon to run some tests today. I found the worst of the roar is when the engine is under load on an incline. On a level/nearly level road they do fine. So, I drove around my area, and tested my theory. I used a 25/35/45/55 miles per hour inclines, and hills, and found if I put the tranny in the next lowest gear, and raise the rpm's, the roar dropped to a liveable level. This is more a hypothesis than a true scientific finding, but even though I used those big words I'm a simple man. And that all boils down too I like the Borlas fine, and they will do the job "until". That is "until" I get a hit on my Ebay search for a reasonably priced set of FP500's. 'Cause even though I like the Borla's, I like the 500's better. Heck, It's only money, and the Feds print more everyday.

Last edited by wanted33; 9/20/22 at 11:40 AM.
m05fastbackGT (9/20/22), NC14GT (9/20/22)
Old 9/20/22, 05:03 PM

Will do sir. I ordered from Late Model Restorations for the convenience as I could get the hanger, and bolts at the same place. When I added up shipping charges there was like $2/$3 difference if ordering from different vendors , and I can get 'em both at the same time.

Also, I now understand what you were saying about the roar/resonance/drone with the Borlas. At 1200/1400 rpms with the engine under load it does get quite load in the cabin. I had a chance to drive the car around like gas is a dollar a gallon to run some tests today. I found the worst of the roar is when the engine is under load on an incline. On a level/nearly level road they do fine. So, I drove around my area, and tested my theory. I used a 25/35/45/55 miles per hour inclines, and hills, and found if I put the tranny in the next lowest gear, and raise the rpm's, the roar dropped to a liveable level. This is more a hypothesis than a true scientific finding, but even though I used those big words I'm a simple man. And that all boils down too I like the Borlas fine, and they will do the job "until". That is "until" I get a hit on my Ebay search for a reasonably priced set of FP500's. 'Cause even though I like the Borla's, I like the 500's better. Heck, It's only money, and the Feds print more everyday.
Jim! Are these the hangers you ordered from Late Model Restoration? if they are, these are the same as the original Ford OEM 2 sided hangers on my "06" GT.. The hangers you ordered from LMR are not the OEM hangers that Ford changed in mid "07" which is Ford OEM part number BR3Z-5A246-A.. Here's the link and images from LMR https://lmr.com/item/LRS-5246E/Musta...r-V6-Gt-Shelby

Pypes exhaust hanger, Late Model Restoration

Pypes exhaust hanger, Late Model Restoration (Top)

Images for Ford OEM exhaust hanger bracket mid "07" (Bottom)

Ford OEM exhaust hanger bracket mid "07" BR3Z-5A246-A

Personally Jim, I would really like to see an image of these OEM Ford hangers that were changed in mid "07" on a actual 05-10 Mustang, as I just don't understand how those are installed on a axle-back muffler which has both front and rear hanger rods

As for interior resonance drone with the S-Types, I would notice drone mostly during highway cruising while in 5th gear under 2k RPM between 50-60MPH, but once above 2k RPM, there was no more drone.. Other than that, I would only notice drone whenever the engine is under load, mostly on inclines.. I also still experience drone with my current Borla ATAK mufflers, but the drone isn't quite as loud nor as deep when compared to the S-Types..

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/20/22 at 05:09 PM.
wanted33 (9/21/22)
Old 9/23/22, 01:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Again anutter update:

The hanger purchased from Late Model Restorations was a perfect fit. It's just what the doctor ordered to fix that danged bump.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-5246E/Musta...r-V6-Gt-Shelby
m05fastbackGT (9/24/22), NC14GT (9/24/22)
Old 9/24/22, 05:29 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 950 Likes on 578 Posts
^^^ Excellent! We always like hearing good news!!
The following 2 users liked this post by NC14GT:
m05fastbackGT (9/24/22), wanted33 (9/24/22)
Old 9/24/22, 03:37 PM

Again anutter update:

The hanger purchased from Late Model Restorations was a perfect fit. It's just what the doctor ordered to fix that danged bump.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-5246E/Musta...r-V6-Gt-Shelby
Jim! Glad to know they're a perfect fit.. Just out of curiosity, are these new hangers you purchased from Late Model Restoration similar to your original 2007 "OEM" hangers, or are they different? I am trying to figure out if your new hangers are similar to the ones you had on your now previous 2006 GT and if they are? this will tell me as to whether these are the same as the original OEM hangers from the 2005-2006 Mustang GT models..

Originally Posted by NC14GT
^^^ Excellent! We always like hearing good news!!
Yes! We sure do indeed
NC14GT (9/25/22), wanted33 (9/25/22)
Old 9/24/22, 05:06 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,902 Posts
Well In the Interest of Ford Parts Info. Wow Ford Really is Getting Sloppy on Parts Supersession. I see How the BR3Z -5A246-A Can Service the 4R3Z-5A246-A You Would Just have an Empty Hole. The Mustang Exhaust Setup Was the Same From 2005-2010. It Had the Two Rod Setup and in 2011 they went Three rod. I guess you Could Cut it In Half if you Did not Like the Extra Hole! I think I would Just Go with the Aftermarket.

If I were Still in the Ford Loop I would have Sent in a Inquiry on this. Unless there was Already a Note Deep in the FORD Database Parts File. I Miss that Access. They Probably would have Said Although Part Does Not Directly Resemble Original Part It Will Service Replaced Part Number. That's how They Talk!

Anyhow This Might Help Somebody Else Down the Road! I know The 05 Style Drawing Does Not Show Other Rod So I Posted some Real Pics! I see Why they Added the Rod. They Changed From Slip Fit to Flange Exhaust. It Just Needed More Support.

Glad your Happy With Your Purchase! I'll Keep An Eye out For The Other FRPP For You!

Kc

2011 up Brackets

2005-2010 Style Mufflers

2011-2014 Style Mufflers

2005-2010 Mustang Exhaust Example.
2011-2014 Below

Last edited by 05stangkc; 9/24/22 at 06:21 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 05stangkc:
m05fastbackGT (9/25/22), NC14GT (9/25/22), wanted33 (9/25/22)
Old 9/25/22, 05:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Jim! Glad to know they're a perfect fit.. Just out of curiosity, are these new hangers you purchased from Late Model Restoration similar to your original 2007 "OEM" hangers, or are they different? I am trying to figure out if your new hangers are similar to the ones you had on your now previous 2006 GT and if they are? this will tell me as to whether these are the same as the original OEM hangers from the 2005-2006 Mustang GT models..
Yes! We sure do indeed
It's the single hanger, and the same that was on my '06. I'm not sure exactly when Ford changed the hangers, but it was sometime mid '07 production according to my searching around the web. I'm just guessing that either would work as I'm sure Ford didn't change the chassic, and hanger holes. However, my OCD just wouldn't let me buy the 2 sided hanger.
m05fastbackGT (9/25/22), NC14GT (9/25/22)
Old 9/25/22, 07:24 AM

Not to Mention Needless Added Weight on That Pony!

Oh on a Side Note I notice Because of the Body Change Certain Aftermarket Websites Group the 05-09's & 10-14's In Separate Sections. So if a Guy Has a 10 It Won't Show Exhaust options Properly. You Have to Go Back to The 05-09 Section To Look For Exhaust! Some Even Say 10 Exhaust Fits The Same as 11-14 No No No!

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 9/25/22 at 07:29 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 05stangkc:
m05fastbackGT (9/25/22), wanted33 (9/25/22)
Old 9/25/22, 11:41 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 05stangkc

Oh on a Side Note I notice Because of the Body Change Certain Aftermarket Websites Group the 05-09's & 10-14's In Separate Sections.So if a Guy Has a 10 It Won't Show Exhaust options Properly. You Have to Go Back to The 05-09 Section To Look For Exhaust! Some Even Say 10 Exhaust Fits The Same as 11-14 No No No!

KC
I saw that also Kevin. It could certainly make it difficult for someone that didn't have the support we have here on the forum.
m05fastbackGT (9/25/22)
Old 9/25/22, 12:03 PM

I saw that also Kevin. It could certainly make it difficult for someone that didn't have the support we have here on the forum.
I see you Joined in 2012. I was pretty much gone by then. I don't Know how Active it Was then But Boy in My Day It was Unreal! We were So Hungry for Any tidbit on the SN197-S We learned all we could as Fast as we Could. I was on here Like Crazy. Selling the Latest & Greatest Before Anybody Else even Knew the Part was Out! I hope we can Rekindle Some of That Family Collective as We Now Try To Preserve what was All New in The Beginning. I'm Sticking to What I Know for the Most Part 05-09's Although I had Some Classic's as Well! I'm Lost on the 2015 Ups. Anyhoo Glad we Still have a Few S-197 Diehards!

KC
m05fastbackGT (9/25/22), wanted33 (9/26/22)
Old 9/25/22, 05:20 PM

Well In the Interest of Ford Parts Info. Wow Ford Really is Getting Sloppy on Parts Supersession. I see How the BR3Z -5A246-A Can Service the 4R3Z-5A246-A You Would Just have an Empty Hole. The Mustang Exhaust Setup Was the Same From 2005-2010. It Had the Two Rod Setup and in 2011 they went Three rod. I guess you Could Cut it In Half if you Did not Like the Extra Hole! I think I would Just Go with the Aftermarket.

If I were Still in the Ford Loop I would have Sent in a Inquiry on this. Unless there was Already a Note Deep in the FORD Database Parts File. I Miss that Access. They Probably would have Said Although Part Does Not Directly Resemble Original Part It Will Service Replaced Part Number. That's how They Talk!

Anyhow This Might Help Somebody Else Down the Road! I know The 05 Style Drawing Does Not Show Other Rod So I Posted some Real Pics! I see Why they Added the Rod. They Changed From Slip Fit to Flange Exhaust. It Just Needed More Support.

Glad your Happy With Your Purchase! I'll Keep An Eye out For The Other FRPP For You!

Kc

2011 up Brackets

2005-2010 Style Mufflers

2011-2014 Style Mufflers

2005-2010 Mustang Exhaust Example.
2011-2014 Below
Well IMO, Ford was being far more than just being sloppy... From the illustration diagrams/images posted, it's seems pretty clear that the hanger change design which took place in mid 2007 was a huge mistake which shouldn't had taken place until the arrival of the 2011-14 models...

Personally, I don't ever recall coming across any S197 models built from 2007-10 which include dual sided hanger rods, not even on the factory axle-back mufflers.. Therefore, what was Ford's reason and purpose? Just doesn't make any logical sense to me at all..
It's no wonder there was so much confusion and misunderstanding on my part, as I was totally unable to comprehend what in the heck the definition of 2 sided hangers meant.. Well thanks to your clarification description and illustration diagrams w/pics, now I finally know the differences between the original 4R3Z-5A246-A one sided hangers vs the BR3Z-5A246-A dual sided hangers which the bone heads over at Ford replaced sometime during mid 2007 Needless to say, at least now I'll know for certain which exhaust hangers to order when the time finally arrives to replace my OEM original 4R3Z-5A246-A hangers

It's the single hanger, and the same that was on my '06. I'm not sure exactly when Ford changed the hangers, but it was sometime mid '07 production according to my searching around the web. I'm just guessing that either would work as I'm sure Ford didn't change the chassic, and hanger holes. However, my OCD just wouldn't let me buy the 2 sided hanger.
Jim! Now I totally understand where you've been coming from all along about what you meant by single vs 2 sided hangers.. As I obviously misunderstood and originally took your definition as meaning you were referring to mounting the hangers on just one side vs mounting on both sides of the frame rails lol.

Oh on a Side Note I notice Because of the Body Change Certain Aftermarket Websites Group the 05-09's & 10-14's In Separate Sections. So if a Guy Has a 10 It Won't Show Exhaust options Properly. You Have to Go Back to The 05-09 Section To Look For Exhaust! Some Even Say 10 Exhaust Fits The Same as 11-14 No No No!

KC
NO NO NO! is exactly 100 spot on.. As the 10 exhaust does not fit the same as 11-14

wanted33 (9/26/22)
Old 9/25/22, 07:16 PM

I believe the Mid 2007 Change Information is Incorrect. A BR3Z-5A246-A Is Year Coded. B=2011 And Ford will only Release a Part Number One Year Prior or Same Year. 4R3Z-5A246A is 2004 . So Simply the 4R3Z-5A246-A Was Used from 05-10 And the 2011 PART Number Was Used on2011-2014 and Then Ford Obsoleted the 4R3Z and Used the BR3Z to Service All Years. Cross Checked Exhaustively!

Just an FYI for Future Thread Viewers!

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 9/25/22 at 11:00 PM.
m05fastbackGT (9/25/22), wanted33 (9/26/22)
Old 9/25/22, 09:40 PM

It appears these online sources such as Tasca Parts.com have provided nothing but inaccurate information regarding Ford OEM parts.. Therefore, I have come to the conclusion to follow the advice provided by a valued staff member of this community in kicking TascaParts.com to the curb, as all the stress caused by their inaccurate info just isn't worth the hassle of being provoked into a thread war with anybody of whom I consider as a valued member of this community.
05stangkc (9/26/22), wanted33 (9/26/22)
Old 9/25/22, 10:52 PM

It appears these online sources such as Tasca Parts.com have provided nothing but inaccurate information regarding Ford OEM parts.. Therefore, I have come to the conclusion to follow the advice provided by a valued staff member of this community in kicking TascaParts.com to the curb, as all the stress caused by their inaccurate info just isn't worth the hassle of being provoked into a thread war with anybody of whom I consider as a valued member of this community.

We Had a Little Scuffle Tonight! We Got Through It and Rocky and I Are Cool!

He's Good People I think we are Just Too Much Alike and Didn't Realize it!

Sorry For the Mess and My Temporary Loss of Judgement!

A Member or Two Watched!

Now Time for Sleep Had Forum Insomnia Last two Nights! Sure That Did not Help!

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 9/25/22 at 11:01 PM.
m05fastbackGT (9/25/22)

Quick Reply: I want a set of these exhaust bad.