General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

I just never got it .....

Search this Thread

Old 6/5/15 | 09:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

I just never got it .....

What is the fascination with "as loud as possible"?

I know it's nothing new, I knew many who liked it when I was a "young toad", I experimented with it some even (but each time I rapidly realized what a PITA it was), and I spent enough time writing for it over the years, and I still don't understand why some want to annoy all others and draw heat on their car / truck / MC hobby activities?

Just last week of May while "Wife Unit" and I were down in Ga visiting with family, out on I-285, a late model grey Mustang GT passed by over in far left lane (he maybe running 80, my BIL was running maybe 65-70 in the mini van), and the further he got ahead, the louder it seemed he was until finally he was out over a crest out of sight. Then when we came over crest, there was that "noise" again and by then he was a good 1/2 mile ahead. As it passed it was a little loud, but then when he was ahead and pipes pointed back at us, it was just ridiculous noise, super "loud" and nothing nice about it either (and maybe 3-4 miles later we saw that he had a Ga. Trooper pulled over) (BTW, that was a "good hit" if you read this Trooper! ... ).

I like a good sound, a good sound that soothes. A "purr" soothes, is music to the ears as throttle / load changes, is never an irritant, just lets you hear her working.
Old 6/5/15 | 10:06 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

When I was younger, I loved loud exhausts. Now that I'm older, I enjoy a good deep exhaust note that comes alive when you stomp it, but is fairly quiet while simply cruising down the interstate. That's why I went with the GT500 quads...just as quiet as stock at cruise but loud enough when on it.
Old 6/5/15 | 10:45 AM
Cobra Member

That's one of the things I like about my V6. She growls some when you really get on her but is very quiet otherwise. I rode a bike with straight pipes when I was much younger, but don't want to have that noise now.
Old 6/6/15 | 06:05 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Have to agree about 'too loud' exhausts. There's that fine line between a sweet deep exhaust note and an obnoxious ear irritation.
I still find that straight pipe motorcycles are the evil of the earth though. Man, those are loud. I remember them setting off bank alarms when they rode by some closed banks on weekends. Just rattled the glass.
Old 6/6/15 | 06:26 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
Have to agree about 'too loud' exhausts. There's that fine line between a sweet deep exhaust note and an obnoxious ear irritation.

Sometimes it's the more quiet ones you have to watch out for.
Old 6/6/15 | 08:37 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
I still find that straight pipe motorcycles are the evil of the earth though.
I agree. Mine were the evil of Taiwan over 50 years ago.
Old 6/6/15 | 08:48 AM
Bullitt Member

As already mentioned, loud exhaust has been around a long time. It could be one or more of the following reasons:

Peer pressure
Seeking attention
Power gains
Psychological

On the other hand, a well tuned Mustang having just the *right* exhaust note usually discourages the competition.
Old 6/6/15 | 09:59 AM
GT Member

Loud does not equal fast.

The 4 cylinder tone I loved was the MGB - Deep and throaty but not harsh. I went to a muffler guy and he got what I was wanting, and my Nissan NX (with typical bolt-on mods) had the nicest, deepest tone - very MGB or British sportscar-like with no thrashy sound at all.

Of course I love that nice V8 sound, but I'm not going to go chasing it down with my V6. Stock sounds fine to me and when I need to replace the system (I usually keep cars for a LONG time) I might go with something a little more free-flowing, but definitely not obnoxious sounding.
Old 6/6/15 | 04:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

for me its not loud im looking for its the deep exhaust note that says "Im here to discourage you" that im wanting...yes I am a young guy still...(well I guess...im only 28 say the numbers...)
Old 6/7/15 | 04:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Loud Pipes Save Lives, obviously...
Old 6/8/15 | 08:04 AM
GT Member

I had a 3" Gibson catback installed on my 2-day old '15 5.0...and the wife told me it had to go...way too loud. I now have a Ford Racing/Borla Touring exhaust and both of us are happy with it. I had high flow cats, and a Magnaflow competition exhaust on my '04 GT and it drove me nuts until I finally sold it.
Old 6/8/15 | 09:27 AM
FR500 Member

I love the sound of a loud exhaust....on other people's cars.

My GT500 A/B's are a good compromise between sound and sanity.