General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

I did it.

Search this Thread

Old 1/28/12, 07:21 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did it.

I traded in my Corvette eight months ago on a new 2011 BMW 335i Xdrive. Space gray, automatic, leather, navigation. I've owned the car for eight months and I've never liked it. It's a nice car. It drives good. But it's not like my Corvette, obviously.

I've been looking at options. G37. 370Z. Boxster. SLK. The main issue with some of those cars is that I need a back seat. So, I turned to the 2012 Mustang and decided to check it out. I found one today that I was interested in. GT Premium with 5.0L. Candy Red Tint. Black leather. SYNC. 6spMT. We're close to a deal, but I told the dealer I wanted to drive the car over the weekend just to make sure it was what I wanted.

Well, so far I'm very impressed with it for several reasons. First, the interior. I've read on other forums about the BMW 3 series having the higher quality materials. In my opinion, that doesn't seem to be the case. The leather interior in my BMW felt like a much lower grade of leather than what's in the Mustang. The Mustang's leather is supple and rich with a softness that just feel like a much higher quality than the 335. That alone was a big selling point for me because I've always felt like BMW put one over on me and gave me Leathette or MBTex. I know that's not the case, but it certainly feels cheap. Secondly, the SYNC system seems like a big step up from the iDrive of the BMW. The lady in my 335 continually asks me to repeat what I'm saying. Maybe I mumble. But the SYNC doesn't seem to have that problem.

Finally, the power is exceedingly greater than the 335 with the Twin Scroll Turbo. Obviously, it the difference between 300hp and 414hp, but it's definitely a huge difference. The Mustang has a 6sp MT in it, and it's very smooth shifting with relatively short strokes. I live about 25 miles from the dealer, so by the time we got home my left leg was crying. I think it's just from lack of use. I intend to exercise it more in the near future. Like tomorrow.

I really think I'm going to keep it. Like a lot of people, I think I was wowed by the BMW roundel and the constant talk about how much of a driving machine the BMW was. I admit, it is a nice car and it handles well. But it's realy boring for the most part.

Also, the Mustgang does not have RUN FLAT TIRES. I'm happy about that. Those bad boys are horrid for road noise. Actually, my wife commented that the Mustang seemed quieter on the highway than the BMW and the radio sounded better. (I paid $1K extra in the BMW for the Hardon Karmin system.) The Mustang has the Shaker 500, and it's a great sounding system in my opinion. Actually superior to the BMW.

And finally, my wife and I are retired, so that means we're old. We both agree that the Mustang coupe is SOOO MUCH easier to get in and out of than the BMW sedan. There's a smaller back seat, but who cares about that. We ride in the front.

I'm off to read the owner's manual and learn what I don't know. Tomorrow looks like a beautiful day. I know how I'm going to start it.

(One last note.) My car payments went down $125 a month by the time we got the difference figured out and a new loan created. I have no problem with that at all.

Last edited by Michael Broadway; 1/28/12 at 07:30 PM.
Old 1/28/12, 07:39 PM
INKY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Broadway
I traded in my Corvette eight months ago on a new 2011 BMW 335i Xdrive. Space gray, automatic, leather, navigation. I've owned the car for eight months and I've never liked it. It's a nice car. It drives good. But it's not like my Corvette, obviously.

I've been looking at options. G37. 370Z. Boxster. SLK. The main issue with some of those cars is that I need a back seat. So, I turned to the 2012 Mustang and decided to check it out. I found one today that I was interested in. GT Premium with 5.0L. Candy Red Tint. Black leather. SYNC. 6spMT. We're close to a deal, but I told the dealer I wanted to drive the car over the weekend just to make sure it was what I wanted.

Well, so far I'm very impressed with it for several reasons. First, the interior. I've read on other forums about the BMW 3 series having the higher quality materials. In my opinion, that doesn't seem to be the case. The leather interior in my BMW felt like a much lower grade of leather than what's in the Mustang. The Mustang's leather is supple and rich with a softness that just feel like a much higher quality than the 335. That alone was a big selling point for me because I've always felt like BMW put one over on me and gave me Leathette or MBTex. I know that's not the case, but it certainly feels cheap. Secondly, the SYNC system seems like a big step up from the iDrive of the BMW. The lady in my 335 continually asks me to repeat what I'm saying. Maybe I mumble. But the SYNC doesn't seem to have that problem.

Finally, the power is exceedingly greater than the 335 with the Twin Scroll Turbo. Obviously, it the difference between 300hp and 414hp, but it's definitely a huge difference. The Mustang has a 6sp MT in it, and it's very smooth shifting with relatively short strokes. I live about 25 miles from the dealer, so by the time we got home my left leg was crying. I think it's just from lack of use. I intend to exercise it more in the near future. Like tomorrow.

I really think I'm going to keep it. Like a lot of people, I think I was wowed by the BMW roundel and the constant talk about how much of a driving machine the BMW was. I admit, it is a nice car and it handles well. But it's realy boring for the most part.

Also, the Mustgang does not have RUN FLAT TIRES. I'm happy about that. Those bad boys are horrid for road noise. Actually, my wife commented that the Mustang seemed quieter on the highway than the BMW and the radio sounded better. (I paid $1K extra in the BMW for the Hardon Karmin system.) The Mustang has the Shaker 500, and it's a great sounding system in my opinion. Actually superior to the BMW.

And finally, my wife and I are retired, so that means we're old. We both agree that the Mustang coupe is SOOO MUCH easier to get in and out of than the BMW sedan. There's a smaller back seat, but who cares about that. We ride in the front.

I'm off to read the owner's manual and learn what I don't know. Tomorrow looks like a beautiful day. I know how I'm going to start it.

(One last note.) My car payments went down $125 a month by the time we got the difference figured out and a new loan created. I have no problem with that at all.
I kept telling myself I was going to go around and drive some BMWs and Audis when I was getting ready to purchase my 2012 so I could tell the dealer I was looking at a new car, even though my mind was made up for the most part. Never did it, but might try to go test drive stil once the weather gets better. I've had a Mustang since '95 and don't really see myself driving anything else.
Old 1/29/12, 07:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the world of Mustangs. I've owned a Mustang for the last 20 years and each one is always better than the last. Although sometimes I miss my old car. I've owned BMW's, Audi's, and leased a Mercedes over the years. They are nice cars but nothing can replace AM (American Muscle). I hope you and your wife enjoy your new purchase if you decide to get it, I'm very very happy with mine. Lots of experience and friendly people here on this site so if you have a question please ask. Once again welcome to the forum, glad to have you.