General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

How would you sell your Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 4/3/16, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How would you sell your Mustang?

I realize this is somewhat sacrilege but I've taken a new job that has me traveling every week so my use of my car has gone down to very limited. I've never sold a car in my life (and that's saying something), I'm in no particular hurry to sell my car and I've never really used ebay/craigslist/classified etc so I'm interested in any thoughts on how best to sell my car. For interest its a 2014 GT Convertible and I've added AeroTech dual electronic gauges, pneumatic hood struts, a short shifter, and hood pins. It's a 6 speed manual and I do really enjoy it but it's just not making monetary sense right now, though what car does? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated and please don't throw rotten tomatoes!
Old 4/4/16, 05:34 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by CBrubaker
I realize this is somewhat sacrilege but I've taken a new job that has me traveling every week so my use of my car has gone down to very limited. I've never sold a car in my life (and that's saying something), I'm in no particular hurry to sell my car and I've never really used ebay/craigslist/classified etc so I'm interested in any thoughts on how best to sell my car. For interest its a 2014 GT Convertible and I've added AeroTech dual electronic gauges, pneumatic hood struts, a short shifter, and hood pins. It's a 6 speed manual and I do really enjoy it but it's just not making monetary sense right now, though what car does? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated and please don't throw rotten tomatoes!
The "best" way to sell it is to expose the h*ll out of it.

In addition to the usual sources (local paper, word of mouth, company newsletter if applicable), attend some local cruise nights with a For Sale sign. Same with shows, and reach out to various car clubs, especially Mustang clubs). You can post it for sale here and on other Mustang/Ford forums as well.
Old 4/4/16, 07:06 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,017 Likes on 632 Posts
^^ good advice. Ebay gets tons of exposure and in many cases the listing is free but they do charge for a sale. If you go that route, do a Buy It Now or 'best offer' format. That eliminates the kiddies from screwing with your listing with fake bids, etc...For other sites, definitely Hemmings or Autotrader. As a 'newbie' to selling, I wouldn't advise using CL for obvious reasons. While most people never have an issue, I don't like letting local scumbags have info about a sweet car or where you live.
GLWS!!
Old 4/4/16, 12:15 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have sold a couple of cars and motorcycles on CL but you wind up getting some people that just like to waste your time. Regardless of where you post it for sale I would not let anyone come to your house to look at it. Pick a public place. You don't want anyone coming back for an un-welcomed visit.

I find that listing everything about the car in bullet format makes it easy to read and should leave any interested people with few questions. When you get people asking you stupid questions where the answers are clearly posted, you know you can weed them out. I would also make it clear that there are no test drives without cash in your hand. Good luck if you do wind up selling.
Old 4/4/16, 03:59 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Selling can be a pain

Selling it will make very little more sense than keeping it, monetarily.
But...
I take my cars to all the local Dealers and get wholesale offers from them.
Then I know what the real bottom line is.
A private sale will get more, but you will know the least you can get.
Sometimes they will offer enough to let me sell it right then and there (that's if I bought it used cheap enough).
If you do sell it to a dealer, it will be quick and easy.
Old 4/5/16, 07:29 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,126 Likes on 808 Posts
Originally Posted by esir_spd
I have sold a couple of cars and motorcycles on CL but you wind up getting some people that just like to waste your time. Regardless of where you post it for sale I would not let anyone come to your house to look at it. Pick a public place. You don't want anyone coming back for an un-welcomed visit.

I find that listing everything about the car in bullet format makes it easy to read and should leave any interested people with few questions. When you get people asking you stupid questions where the answers are clearly posted, you know you can weed them out. I would also make it clear that there are no test drives without cash in your hand. Good luck if you do wind up selling.

Craigslist can be a good source, but never let them know where you live. Be careful with posting your phone number. I like to put it in the first image as part of the graphic, but that will require some image editing skills and software. MS Paint will work and is on most Windows machines. Post as much about the car as you can. Make sure that you state cash only or maybe PayPal. Be very cautious on the forms of payment you take.
Old 4/5/16, 05:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
I just sold my 2011 on CL. Probably not typical, but listed above private sale book value and sold it to the first person who saw it for $500 less. Was a biotech firm president shopping for his son who was moving back to Phoenix in a few weeks.

If you sell anything on CL that's easily movable, I suggest meeting potential buyers somewhere for them to check it out and don't put address or phone numbers in the ads. Make them email you thru the generated CL email address and only call potential buyers that aren't obvious flakes.

I did ignore a few obvious not serious inquiries (will you take half that if cash, etc.)

Last edited by HoosierDaddy; 4/5/16 at 06:01 PM.
Old 4/7/16, 06:27 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by karman
Selling it will make very little more sense than keeping it, monetarily.
But...
I take my cars to all the local Dealers and get wholesale offers from them.
Then I know what the real bottom line is.
A private sale will get more, but you will know the least you can get.
Sometimes they will offer enough to let me sell it right then and there (that's if I bought it used cheap enough).
If you do sell it to a dealer, it will be quick and easy.
If you sell your car to a dealership, BEWARE! The dealership will NOT title the car in most cases. That means, your state may still consider you the registered owner of the car. If the car is due for emissions, the state can put a hold on your drivers license until the car passes emissions. Sounds crazy, I know. Happened to me.

I couldn't use my DL to rent a car. I got numerous letters from the DMV that I needed to have the vehicle tested and then they started sending me fines. No matter how many trips I made to the DMV with a copy of the bill of sale, it didn't matter. The state DMV said that emissions is a Fed entity and they could do nothing about it. I showed them the letters but the state kept telling me that they could not do anything about it until the title was submitted by a new owner!
Old 4/8/16, 06:38 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
OMG

Originally Posted by UOP Shadow
If you sell your car to a dealership, BEWARE! The dealership will NOT title the car in most cases. That means, your state may still consider you the registered owner of the car. If the car is due for emissions, the state can put a hold on your drivers license until the car passes emissions. Sounds crazy, I know. Happened to me.
I couldn't use my DL to rent a car. I got numerous letters from the DMV that I needed to have the vehicle tested and then they started sending me fines. No matter how many trips I made to the DMV with a copy of the bill of sale, it didn't matter. The state DMV said that emissions is a Fed entity and they could do nothing about it. I showed them the letters but the state kept telling me that they could not do anything about it until the title was submitted by a new owner!
WOW
Thanks for the info.
That would never happen in my state.
I sold a car several years ago that has never been titled or registered since. I still get recall notices for the airbag from Ford.
My state just assumes if you don't get emissions done, they can give you a ticket if they catch you on the road. LOL
Old 4/8/16, 12:07 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Put the car on eBay. Deal outside of the listing when you get a serious buyer. Yes it works..how do I know? Well.,,,,
Old 4/11/16, 01:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by UOP Shadow
Wow. Not good. In AZ you have to mail in your registration when you sell which has a place on the back for information about the buyer. Or you can do it on-line. Either way takes you off the hook. Now I understand more why they do that.