GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Bought two TCI ratchet shifters both wouldn't leave park??

Search this Thread

Old 4/2/16, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought two TCI ratchet shifters both wouldn't leave park??

hey guys, I was looking for some insight on this problem I'm having. I bought a tci ratchet shifter for my 05 automatic because I thought it was a really nice piece and would be fun on the street. I ordered my first one used from ebay and I tore the old shifter out put the new one in and it would not leave park. So I had to put the stock one back in, returned that shifter and ordered a brand new one from AM and it did the SAME THING ! I called tci and told them and they said it must be a defective shifter just send it back, so now I sent it back and I don't know if its worth trying it one more time ... Followed the install instructions to a tee and walked through everything with the tci guy on the phone .
Old 4/3/16, 12:02 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I have never owned one but I did a lot of research on this product when I was car shopping. This shifter made me consider buying an automatic. I read so many stories like yours or worse that I decided against it. Others with actual experience with the product may have a different take. This comment is based solely on Internet research in forums.
The following users liked this post:
steiblerm (4/3/16)
Old 4/3/16, 03:03 PM

yeah I guess I'll spend the 550$ elsewhere. Thanks for the insight !
Old 4/3/16, 05:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
a little cheaper than $550 619570.html
Attached Files
File Type: html
619570.html (57.0 KB, 304 views)
File Type: html
619570.html (57.0 KB, 220 views)

Last edited by 07MRMIKE; 4/3/16 at 05:25 PM.
Old 4/8/16, 01:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Never had an issue with mine And I have abused the **** out of it for 7 years. Sounds to me like your brake pedal sensor is not sending a signal to the shifter or the shifter is not picking up the signal. Can you release it out of park manually? Did you have to adjust the shifter cable. I had to adjust mine before she would end up in the proper gear as indicated.
Old 5/21/16, 10:23 PM

I actually figured it out, I ordered a third one and you have to move the linkage itself to get it to move at first. Really a cool upgrade looks great in the interior and makes driving alot more fun
Old 5/27/16, 10:33 AM

[QUOTE=07MRMIKE;6975595]a little cheaper than $550 Attachment 177789[/QUOTE

I can't find any shifters on the links you provided. I now have ascend shifter provided by American Muscle after the first shifter, that I used once, fail to come out of park after I took my car out for a spin. I called TCI and they told me that they have had reports of hundreds of these failing and that their engineering team was working in a solution and won't have the mod until 1st if June. This was two months ago. Now I'm forced to ditch this garbage product and find something that is reliable and technically supported. Any suggestions inbox me.
Old 5/27/16, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by steiblerm
I actually figured it out, I ordered a third one and you have to move the linkage itself to get it to move at first. Really a cool upgrade looks great in the interior and makes driving alot more fun
What do you mean by move the linkage yourself. The install says to make sure care in park when installing and not to move the rod in the car from its park position. Mine have failed and I have another one but the people at TCI have told me they won't have a fix until 1 June 2016 after many reports of product failure. Mine refused to come out of park after I took it through its paces. I actually found a stainless steel clip fall out of the shifter when I removed it to send back for replacement.
Old 5/27/16, 12:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
[QUOTE=smatlewis;6983335]
Originally Posted by 07MRMIKE
a little cheaper than $550 Attachment 177789[/QUOTE

I can't find any shifters on the links you provided. I now have ascend shifter provided by American Muscle after the first shifter, that I used once, fail to come out of park after I took my car out for a spin. I called TCI and they told me that they have had reports of hundreds of these failing and that their engineering team was working in a solution and won't have the mod until 1st if June. This was two months ago. Now I'm forced to ditch this garbage product and find something that is reliable and technically supported. Any suggestions inbox me.
Originally Posted by smatlewis
What do you mean by move the linkage yourself. The install says to make sure care in park when installing and not to move the rod in the car from its park position. Mine have failed and I have another one but the people at TCI have told me they won't have a fix until 1 June 2016 after many reports of product failure. Mine refused to come out of park after I took it through its paces. I actually found a stainless steel clip fall out of the shifter when I removed it to send back for replacement.

I don't remember the instructions but I bench tested my shifter before putting it in so maybe that was what was needed to move the linkage before installing it. I think I also installed mine in neutral and then adjusted the cable to make sure every gear was engaged when it is supposed to be.
Old 6/7/16, 04:03 PM

I just put the tci shifter in my 08 gt automatic and the instructions said to put car in drive then unhook linkage then take stock shifter out.My shifter came in the box with it in drive. So that's how I put mine in and not one problem at all.