General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Be honest....any regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 6/10/14, 04:52 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Be honest....any regrets?

Hindsight they say, is 20/20.

Anyone have second thoughts about your decisions.....mods you now wish you hadn't done, options you had to have but now don't need...and vice versa? Color choices? Body style?

My regret is not knowing about this forum before I pulled the trigger. I had a lot of pre-conceived notions about colors and packages, and with the supply of available 2014's dwindling, there weren't a lot of choices that I could see up close and personal. My first choice was Black w/401A Brick Red but couldn't find one east of the Mississippi with a stick.

But this was etched in stone and I stuck to it...my Mustang had to be a 2014 GT Premium 'vert with a stick shift with NO electronics/nav or Brembo. Absolutely no second thoughts in those regards.

But I didn't like SGM (too boring), Race Red (too speeding ticket prone) a CS (too gimicky), or a Black on black (no pop).

I ended up with Black and 401A Black/Cashmere and I'm actually thrilled to death with it....forget what I said about no pop....the interior makes this car. It grows on me more and more each day and the comments and "wows" I get make it all worthwhile.

But after seeing so many of your cars here and at shows, I wish I had kept a more open mind about SGM...it's become one of my favorite colors on the Mustang, coupe or 'vert. And in my on-line searches there were plenty around with 401A Black/Cashmere. I regret dismissing SGM.

Same with a GT/CS....in RED!!! There was one within 100 miles of my dealer at the time I got mine, but I dug my heels in and said "no way" to a red CS. After seeing one in person recently, I wish I hadn't been so pig-headed.

I guess it all boiled down to making sure it was a GT Prem 'vert and it had to have a stick....color was secondary so late in the game. Had I been in a position to buy a Mustang several months ago, selection would have been more plentiful. But you gotta be there when the gun goes off.

But my face is stuck in permanent smile mode, so that trumps second guessing.

Tom
Old 6/10/14, 05:40 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My only regret is Kona Blue .. maintenance is very close to BLACK ... and I swore I would never own a black car.
Old 6/10/14, 05:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I sometimes regret having gotten the 2010 with the 4.6. Yes, I got an awesome deal and it was hard to track down a 2011+ convertible with a 5 speed but maybe I should just looked harder and waited. The plus side is the 4.6 is still a good motor and it uses regular gas but when I see a 5.0 drive by my heart skips a beat. The question is do I just mod the 2010 to get more power or sale mine down the road to get a 2011-2013? Right now I am happy with the car so I guess that is a discussion for a later date.
Old 6/10/14, 06:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I wish I had gotten the Gotta Have It Green but the Sterling Grey Metallic is still a nice color. However the green needs black stripes to look the best while the grey does just fine with or without stripes.
If I had waited a little longer, I might have gotten a better deal but my old daily driver was in need of some things to keep it going good for a few more months like tires and taillights. I did get my 2014 GT back in August for 29400 out the door with the automatic as the only option. Not too bad.
Old 6/10/14, 07:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
My only regret is... I have... boneitis...

---

When it comes to Awesome, I do not have any regrets, in my choice, nor my mods so far. There are more on the way soon. Some are here, some have to wait until another is done, but when she's finally finshed (as life, and therefore time, is a consideration of when I can get stuff done) she will be pretty much as I envisioned her from the moment I got her.

Much like I had a vision for Ride, my PC800, as well as my front flower beds (who woulda thought I'd be an ok gardener?!?) and finally executed both plans as I saw them and they came out fantastically, I have a vision for Awesome.

I can't wait, and yet... things are what they are.
Old 6/10/14, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
- When I bought my 99 GT Convertible, I regretted not getting a 5 speed.
- When I bought my 01 GT Convertible, I regretted not getting a 5 speed. (see a pattern there?)
- When I bought my 07 GT Convertible, I had no regrets. Its worth every penny
Old 6/10/14, 08:07 AM
Former Vendor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I regret buying a hurst shifter, but aside from that, everything has been great with my 2007 GT

Nick C.
Old 6/10/14, 09:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
When I bought my 2013 Mustang GT Premium coupe, there were a few types on the lot: a 2013 Boss, GT500, GT's manual and auto's.

I was going to for a V8. That was clear after we did a test drive in a V6 and a V8. My wife was very clear on that :-)

As it was supposed to be my daily driver in a few months (the lease on my SUV was still good for about 7 months), and traffic in the San Francisco Bay area is horrendous, we decided it had to be an automatic.....especially since I have gout, and when it flares up, I usually cannot use one of my legs normally.

Now, it turns out, when the SUV's lease expired, we leased another SUV for daily stuff. And my Mustang is my fun car.
I sometimes wish I had bought the Boss that was sitting next to my DIB automatic.
On the other hand, like today, I have a real bad flare up of the gout, I am so happy I have an automatic. Even though I have the flare up, I can still enjoy my Mustang... With the Boss, it would certainly have meant, I'd have to leave the car in the garage..... but just looking at a garaged Mustang is also nearly as good a s*x.... :-)

I thing I should have bought the Boss 302.... I had gotten a huge bonus and had the money to buy it cash.

Last edited by Plim; 6/10/14 at 09:50 AM.
Old 6/10/14, 02:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Having ordered ours it was just what we wanted. But, there is always wishes after you drive for awhile. Knowing what I know now, I would have left off the back-up camera (being in the rear view mirror it's quite useless when the sun is shining in). And, I would have gotten the 19" wheels. Other than that I'm as happy as a pig in slop.
Old 6/10/14, 02:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
No regrets at all. I test drove a 12 GT/CS fell in love with it, but it wasn't meant to be. I ended up with a 13GTCS deep impact blue, and couldn't be happier.
Old 6/10/14, 03:16 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,235 Posts
My only regret is not buying a 2014 Shelby instead of the 2013 Stage 3 Roush. After having it for one year, I am doing more than okay with payments and could have easily afford the 2014 Shelby and the "pricey" insurance that comes with it. That is my ONLY regret.
I do LOVE my car, don't get me wrong. But, I guess I was being conservative, which is a good thing.
Old 6/10/14, 03:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Stage_3
My only regret is not buying a 2014 Shelby instead of the 2013 Stage 3 Roush. After having it for one year, I am doing more than okay with payments and could have easily afford the 2014 Shelby and the "pricey" insurance that comes with it. That is my ONLY regret. I do LOVE my car, don't get me wrong. But, I guess I was being conservative, which is a good thing.
If only you could've gotten a GHIG GT500...
Old 6/10/14, 03:33 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No regrets.
I found the exact car in dealer inventory that I would have otherwise ordered.
Old 6/10/14, 03:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
They built 1 ...

https://themustangsource.com/f818/on...4/#post6746501
Old 6/10/14, 03:44 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,714 Posts
Well there was this one girl in college...? Oh I guess that's a different thread sorry! :-) No regrets here other than being strapped for cash!
Old 6/10/14, 04:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by dmhines
Yep I remember...would've been sick if Tony bought it!
Old 6/10/14, 04:52 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My only regret is Kona Blue .. maintenance is very close to BLACK ... and I swore I would never own a black car.
+1 on the kona blue. Lol. 😄
Old 6/10/14, 04:56 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,235 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
That would have been killer!
But,.....I would have wanted a hard top, not a convertible.
Old 6/10/14, 05:30 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I originally wanted a red GTCS but went with a white CS as my second choice because of the price, options, warranty, and mileage between the two narrowed down candidates.

I occasionally think of a shiny red car but it didn't work out that way.

It's kinda like that moment when you remember how a girl was in bed but you cut her off for some reason? It happened for a reason and you used your best judgement. Be grateful for what you have.
Old 6/10/14, 05:44 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
At first I thought I was going to have regrets. I had a really hard time deciding between a black GT500 with the grabber blue stripes & the white with blue stripes. I knew for sure that I wanted the interior with the blue stripes. The black / blue color combo was not available for the 2013 cars. Our 2013 was ordered as a black convertible and the dealer tried everything he could to try to fool the system into letting him order it with blue stripes. But it wouldn't let him. My wife and I talked it over and she said that she liked my second choice of white with blue better. So that's how we ordered it. At least we got the seats with the blue stripes.

Little did we know that the production numbers for the 2013 GT500 would be:
4885 total units
528 Performance White GT500s
67 of those cars are convertibles
10 did not have navigation
7 did not have the performance pack
1 of those non-PP cars has blue stripes

So I can honestly say that I have no regrets knowing that we have the only 2013 Ford Mustang SVT 20th Anniversary Cobra Shelby GT500 non-nav, non-performance pack made in 2013. And if I want to fool myself into thinking our car is even more unique, the fact that they changed the color to OW from PW made sure that there couldn't be a 2014 ordered like ours.

Just for comparison, if we had ordered the black car, there were:
1750 black GT500s
286 of those cars are convertibles
49 cars did not have navigation
36 did not have the performance pack

I'm not saying that I'd have regretted getting the black car if that's what we had ordered. I LOVE the black Mustangs! They look so MENACING! I have seen a ton of very nicely modified black Mustangs & would have been very happy with the black GT500. It just wouldn't be as unique as the one we bought.

Last edited by UOP Shadow; 6/10/14 at 05:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Be honest....any regrets?