General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Helpp! '66 coupe

Old 4/8/13, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helpp! '66 coupe

Hey guys i really need some help!!! Im considering buying a '66 mustang coupe GT. Its an automatic, factory A/C, and front disc brakes. It has 55,000 miles. The guy i would be buying it from knows the whole history on the car. True cali car, with very minimal rust. 2 owner. The guy started telling me that this car could actually be a golden annyversary edition and if that is the case it could be worth a ton of money. I did some research and found out that the only way to tell if it is truly a golden annyversary edition is a tag that would have been on the inside of the front fender... Only problem, there is no front fender... So i was wondering is there another way to tell? Plus what would the value of the car be if restored?
Old 4/8/13, 06:30 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Originally Posted by cam94
Hey guys i really need some help!!! Im considering buying a '66 mustang coupe GT. Its an automatic, factory A/C, and front disc brakes. It has 55,000 miles. The guy i would be buying it from knows the whole history on the car. True cali car, with very minimal rust. 2 owner. The guy started telling me that this car could actually be a golden annyversary edition and if that is the case it could be worth a ton of money. I did some research and found out that the only way to tell if it is truly a golden annyversary edition is a tag that would have been on the inside of the front fender... Only problem, there is no front fender... So i was wondering is there another way to tell? Plus what would the value of the car be if restored?
No front fender???!?! Then that car is not what he says it is. If I owned that car, it would be "exactly" the way it came from the factory. But, that's just me. Good luck!
Old 4/8/13, 07:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
The records are gone, unless he has that particular onion skin, due to the Rotunda fire. That's why the Mustangs from '67 and back can be faked in so many ways.

There really is no way to tell. Therefore it is nothing more than a regular '66 Mustang, and you should treat it as such unless proven otherwise, and I mean ironclad proof.
Old 4/9/13, 04:42 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cam94
If he can't prove it's a golden anniversary car, then it isn't one. Are you absolutely sure it's even a factory GT? Look at the 5th character in the VIN - it should be an "A" or "K" ("K" is the more desirable of the two). Since the car in question is an automatic, it's probably going to be an "A" code car.

The steering box should have a tag with one of the following codes - "HCC-AX(MS)" or "HCC-AW(PS)".

If it's a golden anniversary car, it can't be a GT, because all the golden anniversary cars were "C" code cars (2bbl 289, automatic, gold metallic paint, black pony interior), and only about 50 were made (one for each sales office at the time).

If it were me, I'd hope it was a GT instead of a golden anniversary car.
Old 4/9/13, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you all for your help! Im doing more research on the car, may be coming back for more info!